5 Arrested!!!

mastichick

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi

Just thought I`d let peeps know 5 people have been arrested in Blackburn.Page 168 bbc1 teletext.
This is not scaremongering or anything just had a call from a friend checked it out myself and it happens to be fact.

40 police officers in joint operation with vm in raids on 3 houses and an industrial unit for illegal use and modification of stb`s. Most likely traders and not general public.

If mods think this shouldnt be posted please remove.

Regards

I reckon these reports would be better posted in the Main site news in the General section.
Any of us who modify cable equipment are as liable to arrest, even though hopefully we do it to a far lesser degree.

Personally I don't feel comfortable trying to help a forum member with his/her problem when a post like this is in the same section.

I agree that we all should be aware that VM are actively taking steps to counter the hacking of their services.

Also reckon that non-pace and s.a should go in their relevant sections but thats' for another day, lol.

Chookey

confirmed on bbc news - Arrests over digital box fraud

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/7371183.st

Five men have been arrested by police investigating illegal use of digital television boxes.

About 40 officers were involved in early morning raids in Blackburn, Lancashire, as part of a joint operation with Virgin Media.

They are investigating suspected illegal use and modification of the digital television set-top boxes to receive paid-for channels.

Police raided three houses and an industrial unit.

Searches of the homes at Livingstone Road and Assheton Road and the unit at Hamilton Street are under way.

The men were arrested on suspicion of committing offences under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988.

Sgt Colin Dassow, of Lancashire Police, said: "Members of the public should be reminded that using set-top boxes that have been illegally modified to receive digital TV subscription channels is a criminal offence.

"Anyone receiving these channels and making no payment to the respective media company is at risk of being prosecuted."

just heard that this was mentioned on Rock FM (lancs radio station)

I reckon these reports would be better posted in the Main site news in the General section.
Any of us who modify cable equipment are as liable to arrest, even though hopefully we do it to a far lesser degree.

Personally I don't feel comfortable trying to help a forum member with his/her problem when a post like this is in the same section.

I agree that we all should be aware that VM are actively taking steps to counter the hacking of their services.

Also reckon that non-pace and s.a should go in their relevant sections but thats' for another day, lol.

Chookey

Hi

You`re right there m8 I did think about posting it in the main site but thought as its cable related to put it here. Also most members probably head straight for the cable section and dont read the other forums.

Admin: If this is better to be in the main site then please move there.

Regards

you dont pay your money, you take your chance.........

http://www.lancashireeveningtelegra...809.0.six_arrested_in_digibox_fraud_probe.php

Here is an article about this story. A similar excercise took place in west Yorkshire and I posted a post warning people about a knock on the door. There were a few people who thought I was scare mongering and talking crap. I think this article proves that VM and Police are working together to crack down on illegal use of these boxes

i cant see 40 coppers for 3 boxes can any of you? got to be dealers

if u pay minimum for tv and cable you can always validate the data to your door is my thoughs and practice....

just a few miles from me aswell...... gulp.

i cant see 40 coppers for 3 boxes can any of you? got to be dealers

Computers and more than 200 digi boxes were seized and will be examined.

i think they got more then 3 digi boxes @ madmanc

also this is some of the ways they are catching these at it as quoted..... "They monitor newspaper columns, internet auctions and computer fairs for suspicious activity."

without wanting to sound stupid, how do you get hold of 200 digiboxes without arousing suspision????????

without wanting to sound stupid, how do you get hold of 200 digiboxes without arousing suspision????????

That might depend on what kind of boxes they were. I would imagine its not too difficult to get a load of Starview or clone dreambox type boxes.

Nothing i've seen so far hints that these boxes are all Pace/Samsung type units.

"Anyone receiving these channels and making no payment to the respective media company is at risk of being prosecuted."
They are always very carefull to use that exact phrase,

what if you only paid Virgin for phone / DSL internet?

Would they have to use a different set of charges?

ummmm ask a virgin media van driver to drop them off lol

i think it was 200 thebox starview boxes as they was on ebay lol

I don't think so as the charges refer to design and patent infringement, which to me means hardware rather than software, therefore I think modded VM boxes

Back