2 lans no internet

redwatty

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have a hardwired network which runs a render farm, I also have a wireless network which I get internet from,

both networks run through my main computer,

when both these networks are enabled on my main computer I lose the internet, but both networks work fine on their own,

only my main pc needs to have internet i.e. the render network doesn't need internet.

any ideas where I am going wrong??

P.S I cant hardwire both routers together as they are too far apart and have to stay that way.

There could be loads of things causing this :(. I assume you've got both networks on different subnets. What is giving out ip addresses to the render farm? Is it the main PC? When you say you 'loose internet', what do you mean. Can you still ping an external i.p. address? Try 'ping 72.14.207.99' from the command line. That'll try to ping google.com, and if it works, it's probably just a name server issue. If that's not it, then the routing must be screwed up. What OS are you running on the main PC?

Sorry for all the questions. Not really answered anything have I.

Last edited:
I assume you've got both networks on different subnets.
yes one on 255.0.0.0 and the internet one on 255.255.255.0

What is giving out ip addresses to the render farm? Is it the main PC?
The router on both networks, one network using 10.0.0.x and the other using 192.168.1.x

When you say you 'loose internet', what do you mean. Can you still ping an external i.p. address? Try 'ping 72.14.207.99' from the command line.

cannot ping google but can ping the router so the lans fine but am losing the internet somewhere along the line

What OS are you running on the main PC?

xp x64

Sorry for all the questions. Not really answered anything have I.

Don't be sorry, networkings a complex subject at times, especially with windows, linux makes life easier lol

In that case then I reckon it's a routing problem. Is there a 'route' command in XP 64? I've no idea. My guess is when your renderfarm network comes online, your routing table gets overwritten with what the render-router has. Which is obviously no good, as it can't get out to the internet. I reckon the reason you can still get to ping the router is that the arp tables are intact. You're right, in linux I reckon I could figure out how to fix it, but I've no idea with XP 64.

Just had a look and [USRL=https://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/route.mspx?mfr=true]there is a 'route' command in xp[/URL]. Try 'route print' at a command prompt and see what it gives you. You may be able to fix it from there. How to stop it happening again is a different story. I'm sure it's possible, just not that good on networking with windows. Depending on how the routers are set up, maybe you can stop them changing the routing on you main PC.

I think you just need to join both connections together on your PC

To do this right click on my network places and select properties.
Highlight both your local area network and your wireless network right click and select
bridge connections.

hope this helps

Davey(unreliable1)

I have a hardwired network which runs a render farm, I also have a wireless network which I get internet from,
both networks run through my main computer,
when both these networks are enabled on my main computer I lose the internet, but both networks work fine on their own,
only my main pc needs to have internet i.e. the render network doesn't need internet.
any ideas where I am going wrong??
P.S I cant hardwire both routers together as they are too far apart and have to stay that way.

you probably need to configure the routing table on your PC .. so certain traffic to a network goes via one network card and all other thry the other

in command line do route print to get a current routing table, plenty of documents out their to assist you with the routing table.

Back