Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

£1.36 feckin litre petrol!!

says it all what? :err:

He's implying that you sound like an mp who wants everyone to lie down face down, pants off ready for submission.. and you'd tell us black was white.. Just for your benefit..

Which in all honesty, you do sound like an MP..

Why should we take hits like this?? when i first bought my car i could afford it allot easier.. all you/goverment are trying to do is run us off the road..

But do they not realise once it gets too expensive and the poorer are run off the road or people cant buy food to eat.. there will be less taxes paid??

Everything is for the rich in the future.. bit like Zimbabwe???

£1.29 Unleaded

£1.32 Diesel

By the way how much space does an LPG Tank take up in the boot of the car

It all depends on the car. In my S-Type I have a 70 liter round tank where the space saver spare wheel should go, but the boot is still crap. The wheel is behind the drivers seat as I never have anyone in the back.

The missus Volvo S60 was built with LPG and petrol tanks in the factory, so it has an 80 liter LPG tank and a 12 liter petrol tank.

My Jeep had a special tank made so that it could go where the petrol tank went, and had a small 1 gallon petrol tank mounted underneath.

My Land Rover Disco had a 70 liter tank strapped underneath each side, which actually only lowered it by 2 inches, so I could still go offroading.

My old Merc E class had an 80 liter cylinder tank in the boot behind the back seat, just where the petrol tank was, but that had such a big boot there was still enough room to get 4 large suit cases in. We did over 175'000 miles on LPG and the garage said he's never seen an engine with 275'000 miles on the clock look so clean inside. LPG burns without any deposits, so no soot to coke up the cylinders and pistons.

I've seen a micra with a tank in the boot and you can't get anything else in.

There are various sizes and shapes of tanks, you specify it when you have the kit installed.

BTW the tanks are tested and certificated and can withstand much much more abuse than a petrol tank can withstand, so in a crash you never have to worry about the LPG system. There are several safty valves that shuf off the LPG when they detect anything wrong with the pressure. There are more safety regulations for LPG systems than there are for petrol systems.

But you can't go through the eurotunnel.

Last edited:
One of the garages near us is selling diesel for £1.33.9 a litre, but in the asda it was only £1.26 a litre......

You need to be doing at least 15k miles a year for 3 years for most diesels to pay off.

Proberly a fair comment..

We had a petrol engine and used to make a long journey.. we could only go on one way on a single tank and able to drive for another say 50 mile whilst we where there..

We now have a diesel engine and can drive to the same place drive all week and come home and still go to work before having to fill up. we got just under 600 miles from 1 tank.. yet the petrol engine could only get 400..

We have gone to the same place in our diesel and the exact same petrol car.. the petrol had 1/4 fuel left and the diesel had just over 1/2 left... :)

We have done 20k in 2 years but see the benefit ??

You will have to do the calculations yourself.

Its not straightforward, difference in real world mpg can vary greatly, remember that diesel is worse then petrol for the first 10 to 15 minutes of a journey. Then factor in additional purchase cost and tax increase and you can subtract some due to higher residual value of diesel car.

The distance on a tank full of fuel is obviously needs to be based on two cars have same size tanks.

Also there are cases were I would go for diesel due to extra torque, not because of better fuel.

Finally I would add the tables are currently swinging the other way with modern direct injection, small capacity, turbo petrol engines. I was looking at Ford range and they have a 1.6 'eco boost' now available on the focus which is not far behind the diesel in terms of economy while having better performance.

You will have to do the calculations yourself.

Its not straightforward, difference in real world mpg can vary greatly, remember that diesel is worse then petrol for the first 10 to 15 minutes of a journey. Then factor in additional purchase cost and tax increase and you can subtract some due to higher residual value of diesel car.

The distance on a tank full of fuel is obviously needs to be based on two cars have same size tanks.

Also there are cases were I would go for diesel due to extra torque, not because of better fuel.

Finally I would add the tables are currently swinging the other way with modern direct injection, small capacity, turbo petrol engines. I was looking at Ford range and they have a 1.6 'eco boost' now available on the focus which is not far behind the diesel in terms of economy while having better performance.

we have two fiat stilos - both of them multiwagons, so they are a fair size car - with a family of 5 wee need it.
anyways, mines a 1.9jtd diesel engine
the wifes is a 1.6 petrol.
BOTH are excatly the same age (53plates)

my car (diesel) is £125 per year tax
my wifes (petrol) £225 per year tax.......
both are identical insurance groups.
the deisel is by far the quickest car, and does twice the mileage to the gallon - infact its the workhorse as its far cheaper to run.

the petrol does around 29 mpg best average is around 26, where the diesel will do 64mpg on the run and does an average of 52mpg fully loaded with camping gear LOL.
her petrol car is around 300 miles per tanks, i get easily 600+ (never run it into the red)
granted the diesel was slightly more expensive than the petrol, actually £995 more, but with the tax going up rapidly every year on the petrol car, and the fare superiour mpgs, the diesel is by far the better off over all cost very quickly as well.
my car will also run on veggie oil in the summer months as well when i get the inclination to put it in - at £136 per litre i feel a bit more inclined

Last edited:
diesels are smelly and noisey

you dont believe how much these cars have an impact on everyday life

for the sake of reduced road tax and a few p more to the mile it is not worth it

lol you ever heard the morons who think redlining diesels' are clever

cos there is thousands of em in Birmingham taking their stress out on cars

drive em as if they are petrol

diesels are better than petrol over all now if they are driven correctly, with diesels the power is much lower in the rev range, i usually dont take my diesel over 2.5rpm - at that rpm im doing 80, but you get no more power after that range - all the torque is where the turbos are.
My car dosent smell at all like a diesel, the only way you actually know its a deisel is the jtd badge and the engine clatter on tickover, but to drive you would think its a normal petrol with a whopping turbo fitted.
The way the emmisions are done now on diesels is nearly all the exhaust gasses are recurculated around the turbo (for more pressure) then its re burnt, this gets rid of a lot of the dangerious gasses, then the cat does the rest with particulates (most of - so no more smell) - thus they are now generally cheaper tax than the petrol cars. But as you have quiet rightly pointed out, a lot of owners dont know how to drive them correctly and dont realise that the key to these engines are gear changes, keep the revs right and they are a lot of fun.
i was always a petrol head, ive had 2.8ltr grannadas, xr2, xr2i 2.5 alfas, i currently own a 1600e cortina 1967 (my real baby lol)- but now any car i will purchase in the future will only be diesel unless its a classic car of course.

The 1600e was a great car in its time mate.
I had 2 of them, The last one was a light metallic green. Lovely car got written off in an accident on my way back from London one night when i ran into a tree that had just blown down across the road in a gale.

Diesels from 80's and 90's maybe. They have changed since then.

Your Not kidding!

I have owned petrol and Diesel cars and vans and would buy a Diesel everytime.

I dont buy them new, so i dont have to factor in the extra purchase cost, as at the 3 year old mark that diffrence is lost in depreciation to a certain degree.

My wifes Nissan Note DCI is fun to drive, quick, economical and very cheap on the car tax.

Why would i buy the underpowered Petrol version that does 20mpg less and costs more to run and tax?

Even the insurance is cheaper on the Diesel.

At present I have 168hp brand new VW Golf 2.0TDI sat on my drive (On hire as my Company van is in the dealership) and i can assure you that i would rather drive that than a petrol.

The engine is very smooth refined, averaging about 45mpg with enthusiastic acceleration and brisk overtaking of HGV,s doing 40mph.

Boost comes in at about 2.5 through to overboost at 4 and red line at 5 ( and no i dont red line it, as anything over 4 is OTT).

With a variable Geometery Turbo, this is the best Common rail Diesel i have driven, as the power delivery is ultra smooth.

Equally happy at low speed, stop start town driving.

from an economy point of view it tells you the best gear to be in for the most MPG (Got to say i think thats a novelty that getting on my nearvs).

To actualy acheive the maximum mpg , you would need to be very light footed.

To vertake an HGV doing 40 is says you should be in 5th gear ( I dont think so, as 4th would place you just at the bottom edge of the boost curve for maximum power delivery to overtake safely).

With a Diesel you will spend less time on the opposite side of the road (the danger zone) as you get past the slower moving Traffic faster and safer.

Before the Road safety brigade start on me, thats only with no oncoming traffic, a clear view and a suitable road, weather conditions and Legal speed limits!

Although there is a breed of new Smaller petrol Turbo engines that are stating to give the Eonomy of Diesel engines and power delivery, for now at least i will stick with my Smelly Oil burners,lol

Back