Zyxel NSA-221 2-Bay NAS Appliance

If you want them to treat 2 drives as 1 I think you have to put them in at the same time. I could be wrong tho as I'm also new.

I put 2 drives in and configured them as JBOD and it just treats them as 1 big drive.

If you want them to treat 2 drives as 1 I think you have to put them in at the same time. I could be wrong tho as I'm also new.

I put 2 drives in and configured them as JBOD and it just treats them as 1 big drive.

That looks like what is going on here, doesn't really matter but how do you make new folders in the root?

edit, just done a quick google :) and yep, set as JBOD and treated as 1 drive. Not what I wanted but I can live with it. If only I could make the new folders in root :)

Last edited:
Just had another look and both drives are JBOD and treated individually :) Still can't create a new folder. Will look tomorrow when I'm sober.

There is a nice PDF on the cd that came with it that explains everything and I've read you can change them to jbod or individual disks

And also the amount of people buying this nas at the mo it would be good to have a little sticky sections for thing that can be done with this

There is a nice PDF on the cd that came with it that explains everything and I've read you can change them to jbod or individual disks

And also the amount of people buying this nas at the mo it would be good to have a little sticky sections for thing that can be done with this

Just had a bit of a read and got my new folder. Had to create a new share :)
/still boozed up too much

Not a good thing t be drinking while trying to work that backwards thing out lol it's not the easiest thing to play with

One thing I would like to do with it is search for torrents and nzb files on iPhone away from home on 3g and be able to send them to it to download for when I get in

after ive downloaded something with the internal bit torrent client i move the download to the revelant folder but its only transfers at 1mbps why is it going this slow when im only moving files about on the drive

after ive downloaded something with the internal bit torrent client i move the download to the revelant folder but its only transfers at 1mbps why is it going this slow when im only moving files about on the drive

Took me about 10 hours to transfer 571GB from 1 drive to the other.

i can take files from one drive to another at 10mbps but all im trying to do is move file around into different folders on the nas drive but it only moves them at 1mbps ie after ive downloaded a torrent i move it to the relevant folder (video)

Last edited:
are you using the web interface or via windows? If doing it in a window it is going from the NAS to your PC then back to NAS.

ive found out how to sort of transfer within the hard drive but thats only single files what if i wanted to move an album with in a folder

Last edited:
Can you get the file explorer up in the web interface? If you can it's just the same as dragging and dropping in a window. You can select multiple files/folders using shift or ctrl. It's quite handy as you can set the files moving over night and shut off the pc and let it carry on.

edit:- your edit messed up my reply :)

You can copy folders the same way. If you need to go into a folder to see other folders in there just click on said folder on the left hand part of the browser. ( that's not the best English I know ) :tongue: then drag whichever folder you want to wherever you want.

Last edited:
yeah im sort of doing it now but if i have a sub folder which is the album name and the tracks inside i have to create another folder in it then drag them into that before dragging the folder out to the desired destination strange lol

I got mine on Tuesday and apart from it being stupidly slow it does everything I've asked it to. Not that I've asked it to do much, just stream stuff to my 360, t.v, laptops and tablet.

Hi there Tawke, I got mine today mon 20th and am disappointed that my movies cannot be streamed to my Sony EX503 tv. You mentioned that you had streamed to your tv...could you tell me how?? At the moment I'm using either Mezzmo or Serviio to stream to my TV as these programs transcode the files. But I'd like to turn my laptop off and have the Nas drive stream to the tv.
This is my first ever NAS drive, so be gentle!
I have also read that you can hack these boxes. Once hacked, what would i then be able to do? And is there a layman's guide somewhere?

Many thanks in advance for any help given.

Have you got media server ticked in setting on web page I've streamed to Xbox ps3 Samsung tv the lot without a problem

And with regards of hacking I've not done mine yet but you can use different program's nzb downloaders different torrents the lists is quite big

http://zyxel.nas-central.org/wiki/FFP-stick have a look here

Last edited:
yes i have media server ticked. my tv sees the drive, sees the folder each film is in, but doesn't see the actual film. each film is either an .avi or .mkv file.
they play fine from the nsa221 on my laptop with wmp(using shark007 codec).
As for hacking the box, would i be able to put something like Serviio (a DLNA server) on it to decode the films into a playable format for the tv? I have no idea if the nsa221 has the relevant processing abilities needed for this as it gives you no info on the box.
Ideally what i'd like to do is to be able to stream to my tv, laptop and in the future, a second room.

do you have an xbox or ps3 to test if its down to some settings or your tv

and as to hacking i cant see why you cant use other programs as long as there not to heavy on the cpu as ive not been able to hack mine i cant get it to read the usb

has anyone tried to hack this nas box yet ive tryed to do the fun plug usb in restarted but no tesnet or ssh pops up as anyone got any advice ive tryed all sorts

I've left it alone for now as it's doing what I want it to. I'm struggling to get my 360 upstairs to see it but that's a network issue as I'm running the xbox on a separate router set to work as an access point.

mine is doing everything i want it to do but i cant help but play around with things as i want to see what all the other packages can do but cant get it to run

Back