Zetec Rebuild

steve7713

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have a 1.8ltr petrol Mondeo (2001) with 165k, never let me down from new. It is due a service in a few weeks.

My problem I have is with the power and oil use with it now. I have been told that it may need a re-bore and rings etc. but it would be like new again and could cost upto £1000.

Has anyone had this done, would the cost be right.

Well with that mileage the value of the car would not be much higher than that mate so would say it was uneconomical. However, if you plan to keep it for a few more years then MIGHT be worth it.

I was leaning to the better the Devil you know.

The car has been good to me and just like me old and reliable.

I'm with you mate, I get attached to my cars, and I absolutely loved my old N Reg Mondeo.

My heart tells me to repair the engine and keep my car, but in reality you'd probably find a Mondeo with considerably less mileage for not a lot more than the garage will charge you for the engine work.

is it the mk 3 or the mk 2 mate ?

I have just had my engine stripped down on my mk 3 its not a case of rebore its the oil scrapper rings seize up and allow oil past thats why you losing oil alot, but on top the valve guide seals are also a common thing to go

anyway mine was drinlking oil like a sponge and decided had to bite the bullet found a good garage willing to do the job and here is what i got done

head off de coked
new valves installed
engine bottom end decoked and crank re grnd
New piston rings fitted
pistons de coked
new valve seals fitted
Head cleaned and checked

this cost me £725 parts and labour

if it is the mk2 the garage lad said they are alot easier but need more parts ie cam belt, new tensioners etc

but the good news is the car is like new

Is a MK3, the garage will try some additives, but he did list the same type of things you mentioned and told me up to £1000.

Did the rebuild work, I was told it would feel like new again.

Should have read the last line, yes it is like new again.

Last edited:
if i were you mate and you go for it get the parts from here

this is what i did kept the money down getting the parts myself

Back