Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnu420

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Whats your thought on this

England & Scotland poppy decision leads to Fifa disciplinary action - BBC Sport

Mine is load of tosh.. england,scotland shouldnt be penalised for wearing poppys

Fifa is curupted telling us what we can cant do ( sounds like eu ?? )

And wales they should of done the same as england and scotland did defy fifa and show solidarity

sent from 2 tin cans and some string

Had one of the home nations been playing Germany,Italy or Japan then maybe, possibly, only just could I see a reason for not wearing the poppy. But then again, the poppy isn't a winners badge. The poppy is a mark of respect and had it not been displayed by the players on the 11th day of the 11th month, I believe the fallout would be far worse than upsetting a few FIFA bureaucrats.

Let them fine us both and let us both make a statement saying "if the same circumstances ever rise again we won't do anything differently". If they were to deduct points then that would indeed be a political statement.

Rules are made to be obeyed.
(not broken)

Yes I aggre the poppy should be worn if it's to mark those who gave there lives in the first & Second World War.
From my own upbringing I heard gun shots from British soldiers that killed people innocent people.
Similar things happened in Iraq and many other nations.
It was not to long ago that then prime minister "David Cameron" had give an apology in the House of Commons for the murder of 13 unarmed civilians in Ireland.
So it's clear to see that FIFA do not want people to be affended for what is a sport.
I'm not surprised Northern Ireland did not wear arm band as so many people would of been offended.

Football is a sport. It should be kept like that as many people don't understand the poppy can be offensive.
In my case remembering the troops that died in Northern Ireland?
Is that the same troops that murdered innocent Irish people?

Last edited:
(not broken)

Yes I aggre the poppy should be worn if it's to mark those who gave there lives in the first & Second World War.
From my own upbringing I heard gun shots from British soldiers that killed people innocent people.
It was not to long ago that then prime minister "David Cameron" had give an apology in the House of Commons for the murder of 13 unarmed civilians in Ireland.
So it's clear to see that FIFA do not want people to be affended for what is a sport.
I'm not surprised Northern Ireland did not wear arm band as so many people would of been offended.

Football is a sport. It should be kept like that as many people don't understand the poppy can be offensive.
I 100% agree mate . What's worse is it's constantly on the TV ffs they even had one on the Cookie Monster . It should be a private matter . That's my only comment on this thread .

I 100% agree mate . What's worse is it's constantly on the TV ffs they even had one on the Cookie Monster . It should be a private matter . That's my only comment on this thread .

And that is the only sensible part of your post

- - - Updated - - -

(not broken)

It covers all conflicts and is an important mark of respect for those who gave their lives

I'm closing this thread before it gets into the usual disrespectful shite that we get from poppy threads. Sorry OP I know it was not your intention :(

Sorry I know you closed this @IANB but I think a few people need putting straight

The poppy is to commemorate soldiers who died in the first and second world wars defending the whole of the British Isles, that poppy remembers English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh soldiers who gave their lives so that we could ALL live free, has nothing to do with any other conflicts, unfortunately those same soldiers also defended the rights of disrespecting ungrateful arseholes who have to jump on the protest band wagon every chance they get

Fcuking Idiots

Ok I will re open the thread but be warned if it carries on with disrespectful posts action will be taken

Thanks @IANB mate.
But have not notice any disrespectful posts yet.

It's a tough call striking a balance between 'being disrespectful' and expressing sincerely held opinions. I would agree though that nothing overtly disrespectful has been posted as yet.

Who'd be a mod eh? Good luck with this one.

It's a tough call striking a balance between 'being disrespectful' and expressing sincerely held opinions. I would agree though that nothing overtly disrespectful has been posted as yet.

Who'd be a mod eh? Good luck with this one.

Overtly being the word @nara ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread would probably not exist if Germany had won the Second World War. I Will never forget the people who gave there lives in the first and second world wars. Many they rest in peace.

This thread would probably not exist if Germany had won the Second World War. I Will never forget the people who gave there lives in the first and second world wars. Many they rest in peace.
I respect that 1000% @avid.
But the point is still being missed.

Maybe its not so easy for some people to see inside what really goes on outside.
I seen war mate.
I near lost my life when I was caught up in a bomb.
I seen death and heard gun shots that caused death.
From my life (I'm 36)
My experience in life is that British troops caused that death.
Surly people understand that?

I have NO ISSUE with the poppy if it serves the GREAT MEN!!! In World War One and World War Two.
But if the poppy is to show remberence for the British fallen in Ireland please look into it more.
You will understand.

British troops destroyed Ireland.
Divide and conquer I hear you say?

maybe divide.

These our my views from what i seen with my own eyes.
How many people had to identify family/friends with tattoos or get dental records involved.
(FOOKING HELL)!!!!!

No need for a poppy in sports.

I respect that 1000% @avid.
But the point is still being missed.

Maybe its not so easy for some people to see inside what really goes on outside.
I seen war mate.
I near lost my life when I was caught up in a bomb.
I seen death and heard gun shots that caused death.
From my life (I'm 36)
My experience in life is that British troops caused that death.
Surly people understand that?

I have NO ISSUE with the poppy if it serves the GREAT MEN!!! In World War One and World War Two.
But if the poppy is to show remberence for the British fallen in Ireland please look into it more.
You will understand.

British troops destroyed Ireland.
Divide and conquer I hear you say?

maybe divide.

These our my views from what i seen with my own eyes.
How many people had to identify family/friends with tattoos or get dental records involved.
(FOOKING HELL)!!!!!

No need for a poppy in sports.

So sportsmen are not entitled to show respect on rememberence day ? I wear a poppy for all service men killed or maimed including those murdered in cold blood by IRA terrorists.

So sportsmen are not entitled to show respect on rememberence day ? I wear a poppy for all service men killed or maimed including those murdered in cold blood by IRA terrorists.
Not getting into debate about the IRA.
Just look into how the IRA started.

I DO NOT think it should be displayed on an international stage.
If people want to wear a poppy. WEAR IT.
(Wear it with pride)
but also remember the troops in Northern Ireland.
(Food for thought)

i really do mean that mate.
Each country has a symbol or day to remember there dead.
But why force it down peoples throat.
(especially in sport)

Not getting into debate about the IRA.
Just look into how the IRA started.

I DO NOT think it should be displayed on an international stage.
If people want to wear a poppy. WEAR IT.
(Wear it with pride)
but also remember the troops in Northern Ireland.
(Food for thought)

i really do mean that mate.
Each country has a symbol or day to remember there dead.
But why force it down peoples throat.
(especially in sport)

I think you will find all the players wore the poppy arm band with pride.
I wore a poppy while at work and I am in and out of 8 to 10 different house per day and it upset no one as far as I could see. Sportsmen are at work on the field of play so they also should have the freedom to wear a poppy if the so wish.

I think you will find all the players wore the poppy arm band with pride.
I wore a poppy while at work and I am in and out of 8 to 10 different house per day and it upset no one as far as I could see. Sportsmen are at work on the field of play so they also should have the freedom to wear a poppy if the so wish.
disagree.

Home/work yes.

Not in sport. Especially an international sport.
As some people are offended by it.

I'm not offended by the poppy.
But there's more history behind it than world war 1 and world war 2.

Thats when the poppy should be worn.
Not to remember troops that shot innocent people.

disagree.

Home/work yes.

Beginning to wish I had left this thread closed lol.
That's me out now ;)

Some people yes, but a lot more people would of been offended if the English and Scots never wore the poppy

I think this has gone a little bit of track, the original OP was trying to point out and ask the question what right doers Fifa have to insist we did not wear the poppy, yes there are rules in the Fifa code, but if BOTH international teams wanted to wear it that code could be easily overlooked as they did in 2011

Anyway it all comes down to choice, if something offends you don't watch it or subscribe to it, simples

I'm glad Ian re opened this, I was probably to blame for posting on a closed thread for which I apologise

Think it's time to finish it now and all agree to disagree

Closed

disagree.

Home/work yes.

utter shite, the point of wearing the poppy was to remember those who gave their lives, so that we can live freely.

nuthing to do with what you are eluding to!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back