Ferguson wanted for GB 2012 role

Baaheeduk

Inactive User
Reaction score
In a house with lots of alcohol on the go!!
Sir Alex Ferguson is the best candidate to coach a Great Britain football team at the 2012 Olympics, Sports Minister Gerry Sutcliffe has said.

Manchester United boss Ferguson has previously said he is unwilling to make a long-term commitment to the Games.

But British Prime Minister Gordon Brown has told the BBC he has spoken to fellow Scot Ferguson about the role.

And Sutcliffe said: "Sir Alex's record shows that he would be the ideal choice for manager."

The absence of a British football team at the 2008 Beijing Games marked 48 years since a GB side had competed at an Olympics, partly because of fears it could jeopardise individual national sides.

In July, it emerged London 2012 Organising Committee chairman Lord Coe had spoken to Ferguson about the possibility of coaching a GB side.

Ferguson said: "I will be 70 in 2012. I've not made any commitment to anything like that.

"I would not, in any way, shape or form, try and commit myself to something that is four years ahead."

But Ferguson, who plans to leave his Old Trafford post in the next three years, is still considered the ideal candidate.

Sutcliffe said: "As host nation we get the right to entry in all competitions, so obviously we should be allowed to have a team in 2012.

"What we need to do is make sure that we can reach an agreement to have a British team there and if we have Sir Alex Ferguson as a manager, then that would be fantastic.

"As a Manchester United supporter obviously he'd be my number one choice. I would say that but I'm sure that he'd do a great job."

The prime minister has revealed he has talked to Sepp Blatter, the president of football's governing body Fifa, about the prospect of a British team playing in 2012.

2012 FOOTBALL VENUES
Wembley Stadium, London
Old Trafford, Manchester
Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
St James' Park, Newcastle
Hampden Park, Glasgow
Villa Park, Birmingham

"I have talked to Sir Alex Ferguson about managing the team," Brown told BBC Olympic Breakfast on Sunday.

"He would have to be approached formally by the relevant authorities but he's been one of the names mentioned and he's not turned the job down."

England footballer David Beckham, who played under Ferguson during his 10-year spell at Manchester United, has also indicated he could be involved in the set-up.

"I think it's possible," Beckham, who will be 37 in 2012 and is unlikely to play, was quoted as telling the Sun newspaper.

Beckham is a 2012 ambassador and featured in the Beijing closing ceremony, kicking a football from the top of a red double-decker bus, as China handed over to London.

Sutcliffe said any GB football decisions would be led by the British Olympic Association and the Football Association.

The inclusion of a Great Britain football team at the 2012 Games has sparked huge controversy, with the national governing bodies of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland concerned it may compromise their individual status within Fifa.

On Monday, Scottish First Minister Alex Salmond said the idea was a "massive own goal" and he accused Brown of being "out of touch with Scotland".

Blatter has said it might be better for GB to enter a team featuring players from just England.

But the BOA, which selects teams for the Games, is pressing ahead with plans to include a football team despite the opposition.

Sutcliffe also wants to see a British women's side at the Games.

"There appeared to be a deal between the home nations that the England women's team would be able to play in Beijing but because they got through to the quarter final of the World Cup, they didn't enter the Olympics," he said.

"I think that was a disgrace so I'd love to have both a men's and women's British team at 2012."

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/olympics/football/7580466.stm

Published: 2008/08/25 08:30:56 GMT

© BBC MMVIII

Harry Redknapp has also been linked, and has said he would find it hard to turn it down.

he will be the only scotsman in it

mabye faddy would make the bench

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

what about the goalie couldn't be an english one,
they could not save a penny for a rainy day.

Defo the goalie position, they used to laugh at our goalies (mind you so did I) but not now...Gordon and McGregor the best 2 goalies in Britain. :proud:

:Cheers:

never thought about them!

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Defo the goalie position, they used to laugh at our goalies (mind you so did I) but not now...Gordon and McGregor the best 2 goalies in Britain. :proud:

dont forget ben foster, could well be utd's/england's no.1 by 2012.

The way your keepers are playing the now, it could be Jodie Foster that's England's No1 by 2012 lol :proud:

lol agreed.

james has always been a clown, robinson unreliable, kirkland never fit, green/joe hart not good...

Foster is probably one keeper we have that could well turn out to be a great keeper...

Back