Your favourite documentaries

piemagic

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guys, i follow louis Theroux on twitter and the other day he listed some of his favorite documentaries.

So far i have watched 3 of them from luois list and another one that my mate told me about:

Night and Fog which is a short black and white documentary in french about the abandoned grounds of Auschwitz and Majdanek while describing the lives of prisoners in the camps. Some very moving imagery.

Exit through the gift shop which is a Banksy Film that tells the story of Thierry Guetta, a French immigrant in Los Angeles, and his obsession with street art. Very good documentary.

Dear Zachary - A Letter to a Son About His Father This filmmaker decides to memorialize a murdered friend by interviewing everyone that was involved in his life with the hope of one day giving the video to his murdered friends son. A very sad documentary with a massive twist.

The King of Kong - A Fist Full of Quarters American documentary film that follows Steve Wiebe as he tries to take the world high score for the arcade game Donkey Kong from reigning champion Billy Mitchell.

One i want to see but haven't managed to find yet is Deep Water which is about the Strange Voyage of Donald Crowhurst, a solo round-the-world yachtsman who lost his mind at sea.

Pie

Exit through the gift shop which is a Banksy Film that tells the story of Thierry Guetta, a French immigrant in Los Angeles, and his obsession with street art. Very good documentary.

Dear Zachary - A Letter to a Son About His Father This filmmaker decides to memorialize a murdered friend by interviewing everyone that was involved in his life with the hope of one day giving the video to his murdered friends son. A very sad documentary with a massive twist.

The King of Kong - A Fist Full of Quarters American documentary film that follows Steve Wiebe as he tries to take the world high score for the arcade game Donkey Kong from reigning champion Billy Mitchell.

Dear zachery was one of the most moving and disturbing documnetires i have ever seen in a long while i have a very big list of documentaries i would like to see.

King of kong was quiet funny and exit through the gift shop opend my eyes to alot of the underground of graffiti artists was quiet a good lil documentry.

Have you seen any of these?

I Think We're Alone Now:
Every celebrity deals with his or her share of obsessed fans. "I Think We're Alone Now" is a documentary that focuses on two individuals, Jeff and Kelly, who claim to be in love with the 80's pop singer Tiffany. Jeff Turner, a 50-year-old man from Santa Cruz, California has attended Tiffany concerts since 1988. Diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, he never had a girlfriend. Jeff spends his days hanging out on the streets of Santa Cruz, striking up conversations with anyone who has a moment to spare. Kelly McCormick is a 38-year-old hermaphrodite from Denver, Colorado, who claims to have been friends with Tiffany as a teenager. She credits Tiffany as the shining star who has motivated her to do everything in her life. Both Jeff and Kelly have been labeled stalkers by the media and other Tiffany fans. This film takes you inside the lonely lives these two characters

This documentry was crazy is is very funny something what is just mad crazy about 2 very over obsessed fans of Tiffany and wait till you see the mental one get angry towards the other guy near the end.Some people lol.

Capturing the Friedmans:
Documentary on the Friedmans, a seemingly typical, upper-middleclass Jewish family whose world is instantly transformed when the father and his youngest son are arrested and charged with shocking and horrible crimes

This is another one like dear Zachery a very low and disturbing documentary one what makes you feel quiet sick really but a good watch.Not one to be taken lightly like dear Zachery.

Dark Days:A cinematic portrait of the homeless population who live permanently in the underground tunnels of New York City.

This is a well captured docu on the homeless situation of america really well shot and has its ups and downs.

Cropsey:
Realizing the urban legend of their youth has actually come true; two filmmakers delve into the mystery surrounding five missing children and the real-life boogeyman linked to their disappearances.

This is another disturbing film quiet eerie and creepy in parts but another well made docu.

I would recommend all of these documentaries but for the hardcore documentary viewers personally.I have watched loads over the past few years as i like to learn about new things and about places and people and as i have never traveled out of UK is my way of glimpsing into whats out there and just how lucky we are.

If you wanna see any of these a great site is here:

Top Documentary Films - Watch Free Documentaries Online

Also Pie heres the doc you was looking for mate:

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/deep-water/

I shall give this one a watch sounds pretty good thanks for the recommendation

I love watching WW2 documentaries, Greatest Tank battles, The SS etc, but anything Naval during the war especially Russian convoys purely because my Grandad served aboard the Navy's flag ship HMS Duke of York (battleship) also have loads of documentaries on the Japanese surrender again solely because he was on deck of the USS Missouri and watched the procedure with the crew and i'm constantly looking for a glimpse of him, never have tho i dont think lol.
I think any shows like that are more special to me has i used to sit for hours listening to my GD telling me stories that will stick with me for life.

Last edited:
Have you seen any of these?

I Think We're Alone Now:
Every celebrity deals with his or her share of obsessed fans. "I Think We're Alone Now" is a documentary that focuses on two individuals, Jeff and Kelly, who claim to be in love with the 80's pop singer Tiffany. Jeff Turner, a 50-year-old man from Santa Cruz, California has attended Tiffany concerts since 1988. Diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, he never had a girlfriend. Jeff spends his days hanging out on the streets of Santa Cruz, striking up conversations with anyone who has a moment to spare. Kelly McCormick is a 38-year-old hermaphrodite from Denver, Colorado, who claims to have been friends with Tiffany as a teenager. She credits Tiffany as the shining star who has motivated her to do everything in her life. Both Jeff and Kelly have been labeled stalkers by the media and other Tiffany fans. This film takes you inside the lonely lives these two characters

This documentry was crazy is is very funny something what is just mad crazy about 2 very over obsessed fans of Tiffany and wait till you see the mental one get angry towards the other guy near the end.Some people lol.

Capturing the Friedmans:
Documentary on the Friedmans, a seemingly typical, upper-middleclass Jewish family whose world is instantly transformed when the father and his youngest son are arrested and charged with shocking and horrible crimes

This is another one like dear Zachery a very low and disturbing documentary one what makes you feel quiet sick really but a good watch.Not one to be taken lightly like dear Zachery.

Dark Days:A cinematic portrait of the homeless population who live permanently in the underground tunnels of New York City.

This is a well captured docu on the homeless situation of america really well shot and has its ups and downs.

Cropsey:
Realizing the urban legend of their youth has actually come true; two filmmakers delve into the mystery surrounding five missing children and the real-life boogeyman linked to their disappearances.

This is another disturbing film quiet eerie and creepy in parts but another well made docu.

I would recommend all of these documentaries but for the hardcore documentary viewers personally.I have watched loads over the past few years as i like to learn about new things and about places and people and as i have never traveled out of UK is my way of glimpsing into whats out there and just how lucky we are.

If you wanna see any of these a great site is here:

Top Documentary Films - Watch Free Documentaries Online

Also Pie heres the doc you was looking for mate:

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/deep-water/

I have not seen any of those I will definitely give them a watch.
Thanks for recommendations.

Pie

To be honest, I go out of my way to record and watch the reef and wildlife documentaries on TV.

I also like the real machines, factories, economy, things like that.

Nothing really specific though... anything decent to improve knowledge ;)

Mick

Always been a fan of the Afghanistan war stuff.
The BBC and Chan 4 documentaries are well put together and give a good insight into it.

Have just started watching the new ice road truckers and all so storage wars on history found them to be really good :D

taaa fireblade.

Ive seen King of Kong on netflix; im an arcade gaming fan so I was interested anyway, but I think most people would enjoy it

Ive been getting back in touch with documentaries of late i watched a good 10-15 over the weekend and i will go over the ones what caught my eye and mind:

Shut up little man:This is quiet a quirky voyeuristic touch documentary about a couple of college students who recorded their two drunk neighbors over a period of time and manged to get 14-16 hours of recorded time of their neighbors arguing and fighting and their tapes become massive on the underground scene.Its a very subblte and light hearted doc but i guess it just ordipends how you look at it but if you like to know what goes on next door then this is a good lil doc to watch.

Winnebago Man:This is a documentary about trying to find the angriest guy on the internet he was made famous by youtube and one guy goes out to find him and does and i shall leave it at that as this is quiet a good lil documentary a bit frustrating sometimes but worth a watch if you know the youtube video im on about then it will be of interest to you if not i will provide a video of it on here anyways give this a watch it can be a bit drab in some places but it aint too bad.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Chasing Ghosts: Beyond the Arcade:If you liked king of kong then you will enjoy this i loved this doc it was more or less on par with the king of kong but was also about alot more arcade games and you got to meet some new arcade champs as well as some familiar faces as seen in the king of kong.Its a really enjoyable documentary about arcade games and was right up my street if your an arcade fan then give this a watch.

Special When Lit: A Pinball Documentary:I really enjoyed this documentary aswell its to do with pinball obviously but it had some information about pinball i never knew about and there are some really collectors out there with some nice machines and i also saw a couple of machines i remembered in my local cafe i remember playing pinball but never really got into it apart from on consoles and what not and this doc really made me wanna start playing pinball again on a console.Give this a watch if you love pinball or even if you loved the king of kong its a great lil documentary with some information behind it.

I will write up some more in a couple of days time but these are some of my other reccomendations i will try and keep this thread updated with ones ive seen and be good to hear from others as i love learning about a wide range of things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back