Xbox360 games on virgin newsgroups

deedie

DW Regular
Reaction score
not sure if people are aware of this. or if its been posted before

but virgin media are currently beta trialing new newsgroup servers. previously they had no good newsgroups on there old servers.

but they have got loads of the most popular servers now. they have all the ones that we use on here most of the time. like

alt.binaries.boneless
alt.binaries.games.xbox360 etc etc

the only downside is that they still have shit retention of 7days. but it means that you can grab all the latest release xbox360 games as they are being uploaded to the servers.

i did some tests and the servers dont have speed limits on them, i was able to grab a few files at 2400 without any slow down. obviously virgin medias traffic shaping restrictions will still apply. but if you got a hacked modem, just change the mac when you get slowdown.

this is a public beta and is open to all virgin media customers.

just put the server address into your favourite newsgroup program

news.virginmedia.com

no need to put in any username or password.
this is handy for anyone who doesnt have newsgroup access, or who dont want to pay for it. but as im sure you are all aware the, you will get a better service if you pay for it.

for anybody who doesnt know what newsgroups are, please use the search function, there are tons of threads on this subject on here

7 days retention for these types of groups is amazing for Virgin!

I'll give it a trial, thanks for the notice.

cheers deedie i havent tried them for ages ive been using newshosting i wonder if its a trap
today in the telegraph

I think we are living on borrowed time with regards to downloading and such. The internet is too commercial remember how many fan sites there used to be in the early days. Microsoft and record companies will eventually win.

Interesting thread and full of interesting comments and I agree with most of them lol.. My first thought was that this must be some sort of trap what with Virgin having been touting the fact that they wish to clamp down on illegal downloads. I definately agree quite strongly with maddogs comment about living on borrowed time and this is a comment I have previously made myself in threads here on DW. This whole thing was playing on my mind a long time ago which is why I decided to take the step of paying for the SSL encrypted service that my NSP provides. I'm feeling much more comfortable in the knowledge that my ISP is not able to track my downloads. Other than the knowledge of the amount I've downloaded they are unable to say what it is that I've actually downloaded....as far as they are aware I could simply be working from home and downloading files from the office ;) I'm sure as time goes by more and more people will jump on the SSL band wagon because at this point in time I cant really see what they can do about those using SSL :)

My news provider supplies SSL for free :AMIFACE:

pmsl ....I guess its a case of :nerner: for you then witchy me ol' mate ;) lol

Just add the Virgin server to your news reader mate.

Their server address is NEWS.VIRGINMEDIA.COM, you don't need a username and password.

Grab yourself a news reader first mate... I recommend grabit cos the chances are I'll end up on msn with you for the evening setting it all up and as thats the one I use then it'll make life a lot easier especially as the remote assistance isn't working between us for some reason lol. Get grabit from here mate and then give me a shout on msn and we'll get you up and running :)

Grabit...

http://www.shemes.com/

news.virginmedia.com = NEWSHOSTING.COM

just done a trace as I just pulled a file 60+ days old

news.virginmedia.com
Host reachable, 46 ms. average
69.16.176.0 - 69.16.179.255
Newshosting
807 W Morse Blvd.
Suite 101
Winter Park
FL
United States
Network Operations Center
+1-407-249-2221
[email protected]
NS1.NEWSHOSTING.COM
NS2.NEWSHOSTING.COM
NEWSHOSTING1
Created: 2007-11-16
Updated: 2007-11-16
Source: whois.arin.net

just done a trace as I just pulled a file 60+ days old

how did you manage to get a file that is 60+ days old. i couldnt get one that was 8 days old

Posibly on a none too popular group, definately not on a 360 group, I'm struggling to even get an 8 day old file :)

Maybe he downloaded it from his subscribed server (if he has one).

Anyone having any real joy with this? It will certainly be good news for those that are currently relying on torrents if it proves to be working well....anyone managed to grab a full game?

Just add the Virgin server to your news reader mate.

Their server address is NEWS.VIRGINMEDIA.COM, you don't need a username and password.

ok ive dune that and its cum up with alt.binaries.music.nin..

now what anyone ?

what newsreader are you using mate?

Did you get the full group update?

download grabit from the link I posted for you mate :)

I'm just testing it myself and downloading devil may cry 4 at over full speed :) ...speed is currently 477/kbs and I'm on 4 MB :)

Back