XBOX 'One' not 720!!!!

"On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play," a Microsoft representative told Wired.

The company added that, once discs are installed on the hard drive, games can be played without a disc being in the tray.

That's a nice new innovative feature worthy of a next gen console, but can't help thinking it sounds familiar. Where have I seen it before? Oh yes.... on that big fookin box that's been stuck under my desk for the last 15 years <sigh> So it really is just a PC now then. Think I'd rather invest that kind of money into a beefy graphics card on the pc and play around with an easy hackable OS base.

Whats happens if you havent got xbox live and internet connection ? How would you pay the fee and how can they detect it , i was looking forward to getting one but dont like this new games idea, should be up to ke who i choose to lend my games to, having to pay a fee is ridiculous,

I think I did read that you won't be able to play any game without online activation. There may be a grace period but at some point you are going to have to be connected.

easily pleased you lot, It looks shit, designed like and old dvd or vhs player and features that have been on pc's for years, they even seemed to have have ripped off xbmc format on the movies bit of the stream.

utter dogshit and i expect the ps4 to be the same so no fanboy comments please .

Im buying neither and will upgrade my pc with the money i will save and still have a better experience than on either of those consoles.

I'd like to thank microsoft for showing me there crap so i could make my mind up.

Ah Tommo ever the optimist lol.

Not sure what to make of it to be honest Im actually thinking of ditching my xbox 360 and going back to PC gaming and buying a dogs bollox PC that is upgradeable easily every 5 mins if needed but then again there are some good exclusives on the xbox oh decisions decisions.

01) the xbox one (or xbone as people are starting to call it) is about the size of 4 wii u's so similar to a phat 360

02) always online is not required although some games can require it and as time goes on with more processing shifted to the cloud it will become a defacto requirement.

03) it will need to connect to the internet at least once every 24 hours for "offline use" to validate content

04) it must connect to the internet to install a game as a single use code is required

05) kinect is required to be connected for the device to function

06) kinect is never "off" it is always listening (and watching?), ms claims its priority is privacy, governments may not agree.

07) once a disc is installed it acts a digital download, can be used on other accounts on the same system or on your account on another system where you can install the data from the disc rather than download it, outside of those exceptions you will be required to pay an activation fee possibly equal to the full retail price.

08) you can trade, lend and sell your retail games used but the receiver will be required to pay the full retail cost to ms to activate it.

09) xbox one uses kinect to identify you and sign in so you cant leave your account to be used on another system without being present, you cant use a photo to sign in as kinect can sense bloodflow in your face to measure heartrate.

10) kinect can sense multiple viewers to allow "premium charging" for certain content

11) kinect will identify your childrens account and block their use of age inappropriate content if correctly set up.

12) all content can be region locked to prevent out of region play / use

13) the xbox tv service (and many of the apps) will only work in the usa but will expand to other regions in time.

14) to use the tv pass-through an additional adapter can be purchased, some tv providers will also require an additional subscription on top of your regular cable, internet and xbox live gold subs.

15) live gold subs will work across both 360 and xbox one although family membership is unavailable once current memberships expire, all gamerscore and achievements carry over although a new dynamic achievements system is in force on xbox one

16) there is absolutely no backwards compatibility on xbox one and no intent to provide any however you may be allowed to rebuy previous gens games digitally at some later point.

17) the xbox one contains a fully licensed blu-ray drive capable of playing bluray movies (including 3d on a suitable screen) and storing upto 50gb of game data.

18) installation is mandatory, the xbox one cannot play games off blu ray discs, online is required for installation.

19) the internal hdd is 500gb and is not user serviceable, its locked to the system and can only be exchanged by microsoft service and is not upgradeable, primary usage is to store system settings, patches, brag clips and downloaded content, an external hdd can be added (like on wii u) using one of the usb 3 ports on the side of of the system, at present its unclear if you can use any drive or a custom ms drive, most games will be installed to this extenal drive once the internal gets close to being filled (the internal drive can hold a minimum of 9 games when fresh)

20) the xbox one is not designed to be stood vertically

21) the power brick is internal, power usage should average below the power usage of the current 360 as parts switch to low power mode when not being used although in standby the usage is slightly higher to keep kinect powered up.

22) the kinect can transmit ir codes to activate you tv and change to its own input when you say "xbox on" to turn it on

23) smartglass is more heavily integrated into xbox one so you may need to add the cost of a suitable tablet to fully utilize the system.

24) in the uk the expected price is £399.99 with the launch on 30th november, retail prices for games will be £49.99

25) xbox one retail discs ship in green g2 sized blu-ray disc cases not g1 dvd sized with the xbox one branding across the top, "better with kinect" is dropped as its now a standard part of the equipment, no details if any kinect only games exist or will get purple cases.

26) the claps and cheers at the xbox reveal event were not from the assembled journalists but ms employees at the back of the venue.

27) the zebra striped console and controllers previously rumoured have now been outed in published photos.

28) currently there are no plans to increase (or decrease) xbox live gold subscriptions other than the cancellation of the family pack which will still be required for online play as well as allowing access to other services which may or may not require an additional fee (like netflix etc), there is no word on whether the bbc iplayer will be available on the system as ms are not able to charge any fees to access that service.

29) microsoft plan on using e3 as the platform to display xbox one games including at least 15 planned exclusive titles available in the first 12 months either as live arcade titles or as retail boxes.

30) the new microsoft store will drop arcade and indie sections combining them all together in a "games" section.

31) the xbox home screen can be partially customized.

32) the joypad triggers have seperate rumble fetures that will allow them to be programmed to give feedback depending on the game you are playing (like engine rumble or a gun recoil).

well if i decide to get another console its going to be the wiiu but i had recently decided to ditch consoles and stick a decent gpu in my rig,this announcement just confirmed i made the right choice

kinect is never "off" it is always listening (and watching?), ms claims its priority is privacy, governments may not agree.

Not buying this console then!!!

I would say is doomed to fail but it wont fail as this is the facebook/twatter generation and they follow any shit like sheep so will accept anything m$ say and do.

Those of us who remember privacy and not being shafted on games and dlc may decided against the console... I really think pc gaming will rise from the ashes and become a front runner again after all once people see the new xbox is just a locked pc why would they stick with it?

I would say is doomed to fail but it wont fail as this is the facebook/twatter generation and they follow any shit like sheep so will accept anything m$ say and do.

Those of us who remember privacy and not being shafted on games and dlc may decided against the console... I really think pc gaming will rise from the ashes and become a front runner again after all once people see the new xbox is just a locked pc why would they stick with it?

I think there are enough parents, grand parents out there for who £50 is throw away these days so game sales should be strong enough.

And as you say, the younger generation who live online don't give a f**k about privacy. There was a report today that a lot of teen post personal information and don't lock down their social network accounts,

Facebook teens' kimonos - basically never closed ? The Register

I would actually say that there is a core of people that WANT (or would like to see) it to fail, just to prove a rather logical and totally valid reason, rather than it be doomed to. They never will however for exactly the points cited.

just spoke to a mate who works at a game store and apparently MS had been telling retailers that there will be no need to re-pay for second hand games. Also there was no direct mention of second hand payment at the broadcast. So not sure if that information has been validated.

There's a bit on the BBC NEWS HERE about it.

so basically no official statement then aside from they will soon be making an announcement. The only thing that article confirmed was that you won't be able to lend games to mates unless you sign onto their console with your account.

I think there waiting to see what Scony does me self, then they'll back track.....or stick at it.

I think there waiting to see what Scony does me self, then they'll back track.....or stick at it.

As the article said, they must want a cut of the second hand market. I can't see them being able to charge full wack for pre-owned games and they must offer some sort of rebate for trading games in.

I guess the real end game is digital delivery, with things like steam, PC gamers are already used to downloading 20GB+ games. Then there is no concept of pre-owned games.

Also it can't be long before they move to a subscription model where you won't buy games outright any more.

agreed. All though, "steam" can be hacked and illegal copies of CS and what not run from it, that's what put me off playing it, the wall hacks and the "head shots" think that's why I moved to consoles as it was "fair" and competitive until them rapid fire controllers etc. come out.

it's a cat and mouse chase with "all" games, even the on-line poker makes me ponder...

They defo want a cut of the 2nd hand game market though as it's "huge"

Back