wrt54gs router

bennyboy

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi i have read that you can use 3rd party firmware with routers i have a wrt54gs v6 does any one know where i can get firmware from for this version

Cheers all :banana:

Hi bennyboy,
I have three wrt54gs which I have been using very successfully with third party software loaded, when I purchased them I specifically looked for versions 1 to 4. This was at least 18 months ago so I am not up to date on version 6 but I have a note in my diary saying the v5 uses VxWorks OS and is not compatible with 3rd party firmware.

I purchased a v5 from Pcworld and was unable to load the firmware or something so took it back for a refund and found three version 1's on eBay for a good price. I had to ask the sellers for the serial numbers to determine the version but it was worth the effort.

I hope this helps but may not be totally accurate.

Cris

You'll be able to put DD-WRT micro on it. See here. It's not as full featured as the full DD-WRT or OpenWRT, but it's better than the default firmware.

Just checked my firmware and I am using "DD-WRT v23 SP1 Final (05/16/06) std"

Version 1 to 4 wrt54gs have 8mb of ram and the version 5 only has 2mb so this firmware would not fit on the version 5 i returned. Apparently there is a Micro version of this firmware which can be used on the version 5 and other 2mb router models.

http://www.dd-wrt.com or search google for DD-WRT micro

Cris

firmware

mine is the CGN9 = WRT54GS v6.0 using the third party firmware can i end up bricking the router ?

mine is the CGN9 = WRT54GS v6.0 using the third party firmware can i end up bricking the router ?

Right

WRT54GS Version 6 can support ddwrt but as always you need to find some guides on how to do this properly. Luckilly I have found a guide for you to read up on. please remember to follow it to the letter. Lots of people dont wait for the router to reboot itself and end up bricking these things. I have 4 routers that I hav flashed with dd-wrt that I use with a wireless distribution system at home and out of all the homebrew firmwares, I find it the most stable.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Version_5_And_6_Router_Information

Hope this helps

Back