Writing to chip in Willem

mastichick

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi

What format do you use to write back to a chip bin or hex. Need to write back to a chip on a 2000 box and it was saved as bin, can I write back as bin or in hex.

Regards

Hi

Basicly whats hapenned is took off the 2 atmels to read them, read 1 and put back then 2nd one read and then managed to break a leg.

The 1st option you get when wanting to save read chip is bin so presumed it to be bin. I have actually saved it in both formats and box details come up fine.

Luckily had one atmel chip from before which I erased and checked then wrote back in bin format and it was verified.

Put it back on and checked all connections but get the 8888.

So just wondered what is the original format on the chip bin or hex as wondering if one chip is now in hex and one in bin and that is what is causing the problem.

Regards

Hi

Basicly whats hapenned is took off the 2 atmels to read them, read 1 and put back then 2nd one read and then managed to break a leg.

The 1st option you get when wanting to save read chip is bin so presumed it to be bin. I have actually saved it in both formats and box details come up fine.

Luckily had one atmel chip from before which I erased and checked then wrote back in bin format and it was verified.

Put it back on and checked all connections but get the 8888.

So just wondered what is the original format on the chip bin or hex as wondering if one chip is now in hex and one in bin and that is what is causing the problem.

Regards

wont make any diffrence what you save and write back m8, both file types will be the same on the chips.

bad connection, reflow time i think m8

Hi

So one atmel in hex and one in bin is ok if thats whats happened.

The atmels I have checked very carefully with one of them eye magnifier thing, pins have lined up properly and clean and no shorts.

Whats best way to reflow, dont have any flux paste only a flux pen... what flux paste would be good to get.

Thanks for help.

Regards

Hi

Will try tomorrow will flux it with the pen and then try and heat up with a gas solderpro and hope it does it.

Any hints/tips on doing it properly.

Regards

Hi

So one atmel in hex and one in bin is ok if thats whats happened.

The atmels I have checked very carefully with one of them eye magnifier thing, pins have lined up properly and clean and no shorts.

Whats best way to reflow, dont have any flux paste only a flux pen... what flux paste would be good to get.

Thanks for help.

Regards
in all the years i have done this i have always used power flow flux work's fine ..local plumbing center if you need it ! some say it is a conductor but on ATmels never had a problem, clean up after with a solvent though cheep and work great

Last edited:
Hi

So the powerflux would be fine would it, I got plenty of that. Just sort of stuck in me head from before that you shouldnt use plumbers flux. Im sure thats what I read somewhere.

Regards

yeah so did i years ago lol well all i can say is i have used it with no issues on Atty's my daughters 2000 i did 3 years ago and it's still ok (record for a pace)

Hi

Just seen your pm and replied just need you to clarify a couple of things in pm if you would. The thought of having to take off the 2nd atmel bugger had it lined up perfect and certain of contact so must be tha fact that I wrote back to it in bin format.

So at moment I got one in hex and one in bin format.

Wonder why you get that as 1st option to save giving impression its a bin file.

Much appreciated this.

Hi

Just seen your pm and replied just need you to clarify a couple of things in pm if you would. The thought of having to take off the 2nd atmel bugger had it lined up perfect and certain of contact so must be tha fact that I wrote back to it in bin format.

So at moment I got one in hex and one in bin format.

Wonder why you get that as 1st option to save giving impression its a bin file.

Much appreciated this.
Then leave it as it is mate. Like benny said it makes no difference which format you used.
I would go with your flux pen, plenty of heat and a bit of downward pressure.

Chookey

Hi

Will be having a go tomorrow and hope it sorts it.

Regards

Hi

So the powerflux would be fine would it, I got plenty of that. Just sort of stuck in me head from before that you shouldnt use plumbers flux. Im sure thats what I read somewhere.

Regards

plumbers flux is very corrosive on circut boards if not cleaned off properly m8 {powerflux is no diffrent, }...............make sure you give the atmel area a good clean if you do use it ?

Hi

Seem to have tried everything apart from the powerflow, think i`l take off the atmel and program it with the hex file before I go on to use that.

The one I didnt program should be in its original format which is hex.....is that right.

So if take off the one I programmed in bin and programme it in hex then both should be in same format would that be correct.

Regards

Hi

Seem to have tried everything apart from the powerflow, think i`l take off the atmel and program it with the hex file before I go on to use that.

The one I didnt program should be in its original format which is hex.....is that right.

So if take off the one I programmed in bin and programme it in hex then both should be in same format would that be correct.

Regards

load up the hex then check the buffer m8, now load up the bin file then check the buffer.................can you see any diffrence between the 2 files

binary is just a more compact way of saveing the file,{exactly the same files when you load them into the buffer

now unless your programer software has problems converting hex to bin or bin to hex then it has to be a bad connection on the atmels

Hi

Both the files are correct, when ive saved dumps before its the same size as them both the bin and the hex cos I saved both formats.

When Ive loaded the bins in bke its given me the same ird and bk as it has with the hex files.

The bin size is 2048kb and the hex is 5076kb, Ive tried reading back in bke with both bins and hexes and the both give the same ird and bk , I even reread the chip Id written to and saved the files as well and Ive loaded in bke with that as well and it comes up with the same details.

It doesnt wipe it does it when you read it does it.... I think im being silly now.

Oh only when I loaded in bke one in bin and one in hex did it give me an error of dump being corrupt or similar.

Appreciate all the input.

Regards

Hi

Both the files are correct, when ive saved dumps before its the same size as them both the bin and the hex cos I saved both formats.

When Ive loaded the bins in bke its given me the same ird and bk as it has with the hex files.

The bin size is 2048kb and the hex is 5076kb, Ive tried reading back in bke with both bins and hexes and the both give the same ird and bk , I even reread the chip Id written to and saved the files as well and Ive loaded in bke with that as well and it comes up with the same details.

It doesnt wipe it does it when you read it does it.... I think im being silly now.

Oh only when I loaded in bke one in bin and one in hex did it give me an error of dump being corrupt or similar.

Appreciate all the input.

Regards

the easiest part is programming the atmels m8, chookey mentioned your useing the spare pads.........is the red jumper in the correct position ??

the spare pads may not work if there are broken tracks or pads on the original

the easiest part is programming the atmels m8, chookey mentioned your useing the spare pads.........is the red jumper in the correct position ??

the spare pads may not work if there are broken tracks or pads on the original

Hi

Jumpers in the spare pads position, that could be the thing the reason for using the spare pads was cos a couple of tracks had come up and eventually broke so decided to use the spare pads thinking that would be fine.

Regards

Hi

Jumpers in the spare pads position, that could be the thing the reason for using the spare pads was cos a couple of tracks had come up and eventually broke so decided to use the spare pads thinking that would be fine.

Regards

that will be your problem m8............some tracks feed the original pads plus carry on to feed the spares........if 1 of these tracks is broken the box wont work

get your magnifier out again m8

that will be your problem m8............some tracks feed the original pads plus carry on to feed the spares........if 1 of these tracks is broken the box wont work

get your magnifier out again m8
Think we're playing good cop/ bad cop here benny. Mastichick is starting to break down under interrogation and slowly but surely the full facts are starting to appear :proud:

Chookey

Back