Write error while recording. Disk full?

andmark

Inactive User
Reaction score
Please help.

I installed an internall sata HDD (640 Gb Samsung) i format it through the menu and when i try to record i got
Write error while recording. Disk full?

Yes you will get that error. If you use a network file manager you will find a 47K movie file. A large proportion of posts on this and other sites are about the fact that the box fails to record to an internal disk, except a few make/models which support ATA handshaking as well as SATA handshake protocols.

If the box is new I would consider returning it and buying something else as we have tried for 18 months to get Technomate to fix the problem.

Although thats blunt advice its the truth and I dont think anyone should be misled into buying something that doesnt work even 60% close to advertise. I got the same error yesterday but then I tried a quick record and it worked... Got some timers set for this evening so will see what happens... The temp fix for this problem is a SATA to USB adapter which TM were giving out for free.

Thanks a lot .

If i connect the hdd using a usb converter on the external slot will it work?

According to replies on the forum yes this seems to be a temp fix for now

contact TM mate and they will send you a usb adaptor, you will loose a usb slot though, I would really take Jimux advice though

temp fix my a*se lol lol
;)

They still havent emailed me back regarding a wifi adapter.

I think TM must have a mail rule to filter out emails with TM800 in the subject....

Call them and demand a USB>SATA adapter (or your wifi card Bally) to resolve the HDD issue..

Although you lose the front USB, you can still use the rear and the HDD does then work perfectly..(well, until the s/w crashes/glitches)

Let's be honest, it's a permanent fix until TM write their own drivers....
...by which time we'll all be able to replicate food [and a dreambox lol] and be living on mars..

I have a spare one here mate Ive just found while packing up my box
if you dont want to bother contacting TM Ill gladly send you this one I have :) just PM me details where to post

:)

Thanks a lot .

If i connect the hdd using a usb converter on the external slot will it work?

I have a spare one here mate Ive just found while packing up my box
if you dont want to bother contacting TM Ill gladly send you this one I have :) just PM me details where to post

:)
Is it the one that fits on to the 4 pin [front usb] header inside the box or the one you have to route the wire to the external port?

(Just in case he wants to keep it all internal)

The loss of a usb port is not a disaster on this box as a cheap external usb hub from a supermarket (Trust or similar) will work. On my Andromeda-HD image for the box I include a PPanel application which will mount any number of daisy-chained usb devices - both whole devices and multi-partitioned. However it is not a perfect solution and you should be aware that running sata disks through a usb converter looses the benefit of Linux controlled store and single sweep writing. This increases the number of spin/rest cycles and has an adverse effect on disk life.

this is what I have if its of any use mate :)

Attachments

• usb adaptor.JPG
    usb adaptor.JPG
    689.5 KB · Views: 9
Yup, that's the internal 'solution' which uses the front USB once connected..

It's worth pointing out that you should remove the black plastic shroud on the mini USB (using a sharp knife) as it will foul the heat sink on the TM800 PSU..(nice, TM lol)
The cable holds quite nicely on the transformer (the yellow thing) keeping it off the heatsink..

See what I mean..My mate fitted mine, without the daft velcro strips...

Attachments

• sata_adapter_and_hard_disk.jpg
    sata_adapter_and_hard_disk.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 4
  • sata_adapter1.jpg
    sata_adapter1.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 8
You guys are amazing. Thanks for all the help and the offer for the converter but i will buy it here in Cyprus and I will tell you how it goes.

i also found that using this internal 'fix' put pressure on the ribbon cable leading to the card reader unless that was disconnected, and rerouted over the top of the drive

i also found that using this internal 'fix' put pressure on the ribbon cable leading to the card reader unless that was disconnected, and rerouted over the top of the drive

Yea, looking at the following pic you can see that during the design they should've extended the length of the reader PCB so the ribbon cleared the HDD casing, going straight down into the motherboard rather than the on-the-piss way it twists now...

They got the rear connection ribbon sited ok, so wtf went wrong with the card reader?
Even if the HDD isn't inserted, it has to twist around the frame and is, quite frankly, an example of how little effort went into this box sadly :(

Attachments

• sata_adapter2.jpg
    sata_adapter2.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Stupid recording errors! My auto timers worked but record failed just leaves 47kb file. Got WD 500gb hdd that is no good!

Stupid recording errors! My auto timers worked but record failed just leaves 47kb file. Got WD 500gb hdd that is no good!
Are you using the onboard SATA port?

It sounds like you are and tbh, I wouldn't until they release something better than they have...

I am, but im sure it used to work originally when I first bought the hdd... Then again maybe thats the reason I havent had it connected for over a year?! Double DOh!

Ah, so you've had the box a while. Yes recording to the internal disk did work from the first images up until about image 19 from UR - but lots of other things did not and in any case there was pixilation on HD channels and playback control was iffy.

Back