wot router to buy?

coopsvip

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi could sum1 plz recommend the best router to buy for my laptop so i can connect to the internet wireless and connect my softmodded xbox to internet wireless and the pc upstairs? i also want to connect a External Hard Drive and external dvd writer wireless is it possible to do this the hard drive im gonna buy is this 1 will this work http://www.freecom.com/ecProduct_detail.asp?ID=2287&nr=25919&prodn=Classic+SL+Network+Drive+500+GB or wud i need 1 of these 1s http://www.freecom.com/ecProduct_detail.asp?ID=2287&nr=25919&prodn=Classic+SL+Network+Drive+500+GB? i use my laptop mainy 4 downloadin games and movie files so wud need it to be fast connection? and wud it work with cloned 5100?

Get yourself something like a linksys wrt54gs, it'll cost about £50 and will do the stuff that you require.

All you need to do is:

1. plug your modem to the internet port on the back.
2. plug in either of the NAS drives that you suggested.
3. connect to it with your lappy.
4. plug in your pc thats upstairs.
5. plug in or connect wirelessly (?) your xbox.

Then you can:
1. download games and movies from anywhere within about 100 meters of your new router.
2. play your xbox online
3. get your pc online too, all at the same time.

The router has a wired speed of 100 MBPS & wireless speed of 54 MBPS.

yeah linksys looks a good piece of kit, pcworld are selling at £50, i myself have a netgear router which are also very good and easy to config.

I also think the Linksys adsl model supports adsl2, so when (and if) your isp moves to the higher speeds you should be covered.

Edit: Duh, I don't know if you are using adsl or cable.

2nd Edit: Double duh, it says "cloned 5100" in the original post, so ignore everything I said.

Last edited:
i would recommend Netgear .. it has a very easy interface for inexperieced users and is easy to configure.. Dlink is also a very good make but i think netgear is the best..

Back