Wireless Setup for ADSL

breeze

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have finally decided to get broadband installed and I want to set-up a wireless network for my wi-fi laptop. The broadband modem came this morning and it connects to my PC via USB. What sort of kit do I need to set up a wireless network? Do I need a router or a router/modem and anything else. Sorry if this is a daft question but I am totally new to wi-fi.

you have a couple of options first you will need a network card or a wireless one you need a ethernet modem a wireless router access point with 4 port switch or best of all a wireless adsl modem gateway look here www.netgear.co.uk all the info is there

I have a top class setup which isnt too expensive. Wireless router D-link DI-614+ and D-link AirPlus DWL-650+ card.
The laptop is wireless anywhere in my three storey townhouse.
Simple to set up especially if you have Win XP.

Have a look at the www.linksys.com.
I have tried the netgear router and had nothing but trouble with them....

Check out the linksys WAG54G its got a built in ADSL modem + and all the firewall stuff.

If your going for cable broadband I can recommend the WRT54GS.

I have the the one for TW broadband with the tweaked software...its works a treat.

Hope this helps

:angelwing

There seem to be 2 types of router. 1 for cable broadband and 1 for ADSL.
Make sure you get the correct version :)

Thanks alot for your help guys. I think I'll opt for the Linksys Wireless 4 Port Adsl Gateway WAG54G, they are £69 on ebuyer, I won't be buying for a couple of days so if anyone sees a better deal let me know.

Have a look on simply.co.uk I got mine from there and the delivery was free.

Got mine last week...so you might be lucky :angelwing

@breeze, if you are going to be using the router for your broadband connection, you do NOT need the ADSL router. Get a broadband router. Different concepts between the two altogether!

:Cheers:

Sorry Kms, that is way beyond me, I don't know the difference! Would a broadband wireless router be cheaper?

Hiya breeze... yep that too should work well, just not too sure about the make...hence the reliability might be limited + future support/firmware upgrade might also not be available.

:Cheers:

Breeze

We need to know if you have got BT broadband (ADSL) or Cable Broadband.
There is a difference......
Does your USB modem connect to your phone line?? if it does you need a Router with a ADSL modem built in.

If it doesnt the one on netto should be ok. but would not know what the after sales support would be like.

Let us know and we can point you in the right direction.

The Heed :)

My broadband is from Ntl but it is not cable, it is through my BT phone line. I have a filter plugged into my phone socket that has 2 sockets on it, one goes to my telephone and the other to the speedtouch ADSL USB modem, the modem then links to my PC via USB. There is no connection to a Lan card or anything else, just USB.

ok in simple terms if you have a BT line and an isp (for example wanadoo, supanet etc) its ADSL BB NOT CABLE to connect to wireless you need

option 1

1 an ADSL modem / router 4 port switch (wireless) I recommend the Netgear 108G

2 A PCI card 54g or 108g (depending on router speed)

Option 2

1 A ADSL modem (ethernet)

2 A Wireless access point 4 port switch gateway

You cannot connect a USB modem to wireless gatways or access points the USB modem is only used a a basic connection between your PC and the Net

I just set one up yesterday for a m8 using the Netgear equipment it worked first time

He started with the Linksys gear mentioned in this thread and it would not connect the wireless side of things is shit keep away from linksys

Thanks Allroad ,baboon99 and Kms I've gone for the Netgear 'netdg834g' it is only 54g but my laptop is 54g aswell. I should be wirefree in no time (Well, sometime next week). Thanks again.

Back