Wireless router question

R3dman

Banned
Reaction score
Hiya all. I've just bought a Wireless router.What i want to do is leave the cable modem connected to the router in one room and put a wireless card in my pc in another room. Can i do this or does the pc have to be connected to the router via an ethernet card.
I have tried setting up like above.The wireless card gets a signal from the router it says excellent signal,but theres no internet connection.When i try and ping the router i get a timed out.

Connect to your router using a wired connection from your pc. Make sure that dhcp is enabled and that you are using NAT. Can you get an internet connection from the wired pc going through the router?

revans3 said:
Connect to your router using a wired connection from your pc. Make sure that dhcp is enabled and that you are using NAT. Can you get an internet connection from the wired pc going through the router?

Yes i can connect through wired to ethernet card.

and when you try to connect using wireless card do you get an ip address? If so can you connect to the router via web browser?

No ip through Wireless when set to dhcp enabled and no connection to web browser

Ok, so at least we know thats why your not getting anywhere. Now to find out why. I take it your wired connection is set to dhcp? Have you tried reinstalling the wireless adapter? Have you tried setting a static on your wireless card?

Last edited:
I entered ip address of router as 192.168.2.2 and changed the ip addy of wireless card to 192.168.2.3. It says 100% connection excellent.
So the wireless card seems to be picking up some sort of connection from the router, although i can't ping the router or access the routers webpage.

You have set the default gateway as .2 as well alongwith a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 ? Sorry if you know all this.

revans3 said:
You have set the default gateway as .2 as well alongwith a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 ? Sorry if you know all this.

Yes done all that m8. Thanks for trying to help me out with this,much appreciated.

Im scratching my head trying to work out why your wired connection gets the ip but not the wireless. Its really strange that even when you confiure the static you cant get anywhere. Have you tried reinstalling the adapter?

Yea i know m8.It's got me baffled. Thats why i thought i'd see if anyone on here could shed any light on this. Yes i have reinstalled the adapter a few times. Looks like this could be a stumper..lol

Damn wireless networks! Wired is sooo much nicer! Which router and adapter is it?

mate have you read the thread thats next to yours? The guy in there has got his working by uninstalling/reinstalling and changing the mode from infrastructure to ad-hoc, could be worth a look.

I tried that too m8.Pc was running like s**t TBH.So i reformatted and reinstalled everything and it's working ok now.At least it's working ok but i wonder what it could have been.thanks for your input rev.

I have this problem with mine.

every time i boot up i have to disable and re-enable the wireless card and then it connects ok

did you try this?

Back