Wireless CCTV

TShirtJohn

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm wanting to set up a decent wireless security system in my home but looking for something that I can monitor from my laptop via wifi

Does anyone know of any decent makes and models

Word of advice if you have lots of wireless items around the area you intend to cover with the wireless cameras you will get outages on them .

I bought a set of 4 cameras last year , and as soon as I turn all 4 on I would lose my internet connection around the house , regardless of what channel my router was set on , then theres the wii , when ever that is on it knocks 2 of my cameras out .

Maybe the set I got are crap I dunno , but I wish I had gone with a wired setup .

I don't mind getting a wired setup if I can monitor it wireless-ly

I use an Avermedia NV5000 on my system and I can view from anywhere with an internet connection, over my LAN inc wireless and also wireless onto my PDA.... It is a hard wired system but the NV5000 acts as a network server to with supplied software...

Have a look on Avermedia web site, not the cheapest of kit but professional and very very good.

Cheers

Coolur
: colors1

Maybe a couple of wireless webcams would do the job? The linksys WVC54GC is one such model, along with various dlink, panasonic etc. The linksys can use WPA, so it'd be secure (some I've looked at only use WEP, so I wouldn't recommend them). The linksys seems to be about the cheapest, but reports are that the picture quality is fairly poor (some of these reports are comparing it with £300 cameras, so thats not surprising). Still, it might be worth popping into a shop and asking for a demonstration. One big plus for me (and I realize this may well not apply to you) is that the linksys has GPL firmware, so you could tinker around with it and add new features if you were so inclined.

I think if you want more than a couple of cameras, you'd be better off getting a dedicated system though.
I wonder if anyone could comment on the security of the systems mentioned in previous posts. What sort of scrambling/encryption (if any) is applied to the broadcast between the camera and receiver? I seem to remember a while ago seeing a program (it could well have been 'The Real Hustle') about how most of these 'cheap' wireless CCTV setups could be viewed by anyone with a standard 1.2 or 2.4ghz receiver.

Hope this helps.

cheap wireless camera use video sender technology, so anyone in range can view the signal.

T Shirt John,

With CCTV you defintely get what you pay for, and sometimes get less.

Decide what you want to do with it, if you intend to keep an eye on the kids playing in the garden etc, go cheap.

If you need to capture images for evidence of any sort then you ahave to be able to make out faces. A clever lawyer would argue that it wasn't their client merely someone wearing similar clothes.

If it's evidence you need to collect. Then It's axs, (a little expensive but superb) otherwise a reasonable system would be swann.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/sear...ntSubcatUID=1838&intMfrID=725&bolShowAll=true

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/126941/rb/0

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/126924/rb/0

Convert

Back