Wireless Broadband from BT socket?

The Mackem

Member ++
Reaction score
Any advice or where to buy what I would need would be a help.

I want to connect my pc to broadband via my Bt socket wirelessly. Not sure exactly what I need to do this. I have an Abit NF7-S V2.0 mobo so already have an onboard lan connector. I have checked the Abit website and apparently the onboard lan can be awkward to setup. So would I be better going for a modem rather than trying to set this up?

Many thanks.

Rob.

Not much info to work with m8 :)
As you wanna go wireless, you will have to install a wireless network adapter. Can't make use of the onboard adapter, as this is like u already said "wired" :)

Once the WLAN card is installed in your PC you're halfway down. All you need now is a wireless router, that will be connected to your ADSL filter on one end and then establish a wireless connection to the card in your PC.

Setup can be awkward, especially when you get to do the WEP encryption thing, but if you run into any troubles feel free to either post here where a lot of peeps seem to run wireless networks already or simply PM me.

Equipmentwise as i suggested in another thread already i'd go for some hardware from Netgear. Good value for money and the router has several wizards to get you up and running easily.

I'm running wireless right now on a netgear DG824M. Its a combined ADSL modem / access point, firewall, etc. Just need to plug it into the phone line and the whole house can see the internet and share files.

In fact half the street can see the net, jsut remember to setup the security side of things.

ZB

Zeebee said:
In fact half the street can see the net, jsut remember to setup the security side of things.
ZB

That's more or less a good thing about wireless networks, some of them let u surf for free using your neighbours bandwith for example :) Always worth sniffing for SSIDs :)

Wish my neighbours let me surf with there internet connection. Cost me a fortune - had to pay £75 just to get BT install the phone line to get the internet. No cable in the street.

While its fine in theory sharing an internet connection, but I certainly wouldn't trust anyone that much. If they get viruses then it'll travel into your network, any shared dir's you have they can access. And if they install linux they will be able to access your C: through C$ share. Plus theres the Police kicking down your door for hacking and downloading nasty pictures all traced to your ISP.

ZB

Zeebee said:
While its fine in theory sharing an internet connection, but I certainly wouldn't trust anyone that much. If they get viruses then it'll travel into your network, any shared dir's you have they can access. And if they install linux they will be able to access your C: through C$ share. Plus theres the Police kicking down your door for hacking and downloading nasty pictures all traced to your ISP.

ZB

That's the fun part. The virus issue shouldnt be too big once you protected your network right. Don't share any directories unless you absolutely have to and they don't even need to bother installing Linux to access C$,ADMIN$ or IPC$, any Windows client will do :) But even that can be avoided by setting things up the right way.

Back