Routers Wired modem and wireless router setup

Mark_The_Yid

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to combine a wired modem/router with a wireless router to achieve the same result as a wireless router. What I want to achieve is it all working on the same ip address range. At the moment I have just got the modem feeding the wireless on a different range but that obviously causes problems accessing remotely.

Basically I bought a new router but forgot to check it was for adsl but it has arrived and its not. Ideally I would like to utilize it still

Yes, just treat the wireless router as an access point. Usually just need to turn off DHCP and then connect the other router to one of the 4 ethernet port, NOT the WAN connection.

Yes, just treat the wireless router as an access point. Usually just need to turn off DHCP and then connect the other router to one of the 4 ethernet port, NOT the WAN connection.

simple as that. Just change from wan socket to lan socket. Easy when you know how :)

Cheers m80

On some routers when you turn off DHCP you then have to select DHCP forwarding and input the IP address of the other router (assuming that that router is set up for DHCP)so that any clients that connect to the wireless router will be able to get an IP address.

I'm forever daisy-chaining routers, my house is on 3 levels & I've got gadgets everywhere. (Currently running 3 routers, a range-extender and a 10/100 switch). It usually 'worked' before I discovered the switching off DHCP trick, but is definitely more stable now. But it also seems to work k using the WAN socket- which is handy 'cos I've always got stuff plugged in. However, I do find it impossible to access the router's web interface once DHCP is off, and always have to resort to a hard reset if I want to fiddle about with it again.

Edit: Just remembered the fourth router lol!!

do all the routers have to be the same model to link them together as I want link an old netgear wifi router to my super hub as I have weak signal upstairs

Nope. Mine are all different makes- TP Link, Buffalo, SMC, Asus etc., but you do need to be careful re. conflicting IP addresses. At which point I hand over to the 'experts'!!

Back