Windows 7 sidebar gadget coding

BanjoXo71

DW Member +
Reaction score
hi, i have a little gadget call countdown2anything, nice little gadget, my question is that the future date in the settings only goes up to 2020. I was wondering if anyone can recode it or reprogram it for lets say another 25 years.

I am not able to do this due to lack of knowledge but im sure someone is willing to do it for me

regards pabble

I have uploaded the file here: Zippyshare.com - Countdown to Christmas or Anything.rar

@spud1966 not sure what this means "put you link between a code tag ect" so i UL to the above, hope its OK.

Last edited by a moderator:
have you got a link for the software so the rest of the guys can have a look and probs a little tweaking on the code ....

put your link between a
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

thats spot on @pabble

fingers crossed and see if its open source code

Last edited by a moderator:
After a brief nose around the code I suspect it's a limitation on your hardware but if you get around that then you'll hit a limit on the OS.

The variable in the Javascript is set to 3000.

Scratch that, there's a settings file countdown_settings.html with this code snippet in it:

Code:

I reckon you should be able to add lines at *** Inserted by me *** such as:

Code:

However, you would be better taking an equal number of lines off the top of the block at the same time. So, remove lines referring to 2008 to 2013 and change line referring to 2014 as follows:

Code:

Have a play, keep a backup, I've only had a quick nose ;)

Last edited:
After a brief nose around the code I suspect it's a limitation on your hardware but if you get around that then you'll hit a limit on the OS.

hi, i have no idea what any of this means. Its not my app i grabbed it from the net a few years ago and been using it ever since, I have never done any coding in my life.

taking into consideration what you said does this mean it cant be done?

Many thanks for your reply.

Scratch that, there's a settings file countdown_settings.html with this code snippet in it:

Code:

I reckon you should be able to add lines at *** Inserted by me *** such as:

Code:

However, you would be better taking an equal number of lines off the top of the block at the same time. So, remove lines referring to 2008 to 2013 and change line referring to 2014 as follows:

Code:

Have a play, keep a backup, I've only had a quick nose ;)

What a dude, ive done it and it works :) cant thank you enough my friend.

i did it up to 2030 and deleted the lines that you said. I opened it within winrar and then notepad for the html files. Is there a quicker way to do this? regards pabble

Not that I can think of without a serious code change but in 15 years the scripting language will probably have changed anyway!

I meant to ask, how do i remove the "Visit: get on santas list text from showing on the gadget, thanks.

You may have deleted a character too many. I'll double check this end..... brb

meh, sloppy.... leave the Span tag in but delete it's contents, and drop the function call

So, instead of this:

Code:

use this:

Code:

No biggy mate :)

You should have a little play - it's a lot easier than you think to tinker some bits and pieces for the layman.

Back