Windows 7 32bit on 64bit laptop

pipsqueaker

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi
Last week I was in Staples where I saw a laptop for sale someone had stolen the hard drive so it was reduced in price. I managed to negotiate to less than half price.

A while ago my Lappy went belly up so thought I'd just put the hard drive from that into the new one.

I did that and all the program's worked.

Here's the problem: the drivers are all the wrong ones so no Internet at all and the sound and webcam are iffy.

The new Lappy is 64bit and HP don't supply 32bit drivers for it.
the Lappy is a HP Pavilion G6 using the Amd A6 processor.

I've downloaded Windows 64bit but have been told it has to be installed on a clean HD. I don't want to format the HD and lose all my programs
Anybody amongst our illustrious crowd got any ideas.

Sorry for waffling on

You should be able to source the drivers separately m8,they dont have to be HP ones,
find out the make of the various components that are acting up and look for individual drivers for them

If you can find drivers, that's the easiest solution.

As an alternative, why not back up just personal data elsewhere, format your drive, and just load Win 7 (64) ?
Then reload from backup. Afaik only some very old 32 bit programs won't run on it.

Depending on the amount of personal data, is the "elsewhere" the problem ?

I have very little laptop experience, but in this case, can't see an issue.

If you can find drivers, that's the easiest solution.

As an alternative, why not back up just personal data elsewhere, format your drive, and just load Win 7 (64) ?
Then reload from backup. Afaik only some very old 32 bit programs won't run on it.

Depending on the amount of personal data, is the "elsewhere" the problem ?

The programs are the problem, there are loads of them. I have no disks for any of them. I got them from 'elsewhere' if you know what I mean

The programs are the problem, there are loads of them. I have no disks for any of them. I got them from 'elsewhere' if you know what I mean

Yeah, know what you mean.:)

If you have backup storage space, the "standalone" ones usually work if you just copy the program folder into your backup.

After loading Win 7, just drop the folder into your Program files(X86)folder, shortcut exe file to desktop, and away you go.

which programs have you "lost" the original disks for?

you will proberly have to fresh instal sometime in the future, wouldn't hurt to start looking for suitable backups now... ;)

Last edited:
Another option to think about :-

If you have space on your drive (20gb +), create another partition to load Win 7. Programs like Partition Magic are available free
(or contact me). Alternatives are probably available, not used them. They preserve all your existing programs and data.

When Win 7 is loaded on the new partition, the old programs etc can be transferred back as mentioned before.
If having two partitions bothers you, use partition magic to merge back to one.

If you don't have enough space, you need a bigger drive anyway, or soon will. With another drive transfer is easier,
and it's not like playing musical chairs.:)

Last edited:
whoever told you you need to do a clean install was correct, there isnt a microsoft upgrade path from win 7 32bit to win7 64bit, the only way is :-

save data, wipe drive, install new o/s, recover data.

your elsewhere derive programs i am sure between the members here we will either have the programs or be able to find sources elsewhere to help out.....give us a list.

when you decide you are going to bite the bullet and start over, i would suggest you download all the drivers from the hp site before you start it makes it so much easier if they are already to hand.

the other thing many folk do is load up the o/s and if stuff works then thats it......in many cases the drivers on the o/s install disk are very out of date.

Hi Danforth

some of the issues you will have with your solution is when most apps install they add config data to the registry and put files in allsorts of locations and some also have services associated with the program that need to run at startup or when the app runs.

doing what you suggest will not have any of these things in the correct place and many or most of the apps will fail to run and will need to be installed from original files.

Hi Danforth

some of the issues you will have with your solution is when most apps install they add config data to the registry and put files in allsorts of locations and some also have services associated with the program that need to run at startup or when the app runs.

doing what you suggest will not have any of these things in the correct place and many or most of the apps will fail to run and will need to be installed from original files.

Agreed, that's why I said the "standalones" would, or at least all that I use.

Used to be a way round copying programs between users in the good old days, surprisingly little used.:)

Like the list idea, be surprised if between us we don't have the full set.

Last edited:
Yeah, know what you mean.:)

If you have backup storage space, the "standalone" ones usually work if you just copy the program folder into your backup.

After loading Win 7, just drop the folder into your Program files(X86)folder, shortcut exe file to desktop, and away you go.

Really ? Virtually all programs aside from simple utilities seem to put in registry entries and install system files.

There is nothing stopping you from trying your method but I would not expect a high success rate.

Edit: I see somebody already beat me this reply.

Last edited:
Another option to think about :-

If you have space on your drive (20gb +), create another partition to load Win 7. Programs like Partition Magic are available free
(or contact me). Alternatives are probably available, not used them. They preserve all your existing programs and data.

When Win 7 is loaded on the new partition, the old programs etc can be transferred back as mentioned before.
If having two partitions bothers you, use partition magic to merge back to one.

If you don't have enough space, you need a bigger drive anyway, or soon will. With another drive transfer is easier,
and it's not like playing musical chairs.:)

Again I don't see how this helps you. Partition magic creates a disk image. I am not sure how you plan on merging the setting back into one install.

Have you got the exact model number, I wouldn't be surprised if somebody couldn't find 32-bit drivers.

But as hatab said, ideally you really should think about doing a re-install and look at finding the apps.

Which apps are you looking for ?

Again I don't see how this helps you. Partition magic creates a disk image. I am not sure how you plan on merging the setting back into one install.

Sorry, my mistake. Checked back and found it was Paragon I used not Partition. It was at least 5 years back, very hazy on how I did it.:)
I wanted to convert my 64 bit pc to triple boot, XP, Win 7, and Linux. I had XP (32) with programs I wanted to keep, and C drive only.
Created 4 partitions, one for each os, and one for shared docs etc. Retained all my XP programs, thought as I suggested, and didn't want
to merge back, though Paragon appears to have the facility.

I now have triple boot, XP (32), Win 7 pro (64), and Linux Mint, (using Win 7 now). I kept XP originally for my older programs, but found
that most transfer, and run ok, on Win 7, by copying the program folder (originally installed in XP) across to Win 7 (X86).
These are mainly older games, intended originally for XP. Some, as you say, won't run after transfer, so I still keep XP.

Unless prevented by attachment limits, I'll post a folder copy snooker game, originally installed on XP, which transfers across os and/or machines.
It runs on XP, Vista, Win 7, can be transferred by usb, will even run from a usb, tried them all for various reasons.;)

Edit:- Can't attach, when I edit the program to conceal the source, it no longer runs. Still works here though.

The op seemed to have a similar problem, hence suggestion, but if it's not helping, won't digress further.

Last edited:
Have you got the exact model number, I wouldn't be surprised if somebody couldn't find 32-bit drivers.

Read the op again (I do occasionally).:)

Most problems seem to be with onboard mobo functions, lan, sound etc. Identifying the mobo will help with driver search.

What about Speccy, should provide mobo manufacturer and no, chipset info etc. ?

May need latest version, free from Piriform.

Read the op again (I do occasionally).:)
I did thanks, OP mentioned the model range and CPU but it didn't clearly identify the specific mode. The 1204, 2235, 1313 are all branded as pavilion G6 but have different chipsets.

Most problems seem to be with onboard mobo functions, lan, sound etc. Identifying the mobo will help with driver search.

What about Speccy, should provide mobo manufacturer and no, chipset info etc. ?

May need latest version, free from Piriform.

CPU-Z will also give the required information. Even if HP does have 32-drivers on their website it should be possible to get compatible ones from elsewhere.

Back