win 7 reinstall.

kegnkiwi

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys my laptop is starting to run real slow its acer 5542 4gb ram and 500gb h/d with a amd turion 2 processor mp500 2.2ghz. I think the thing is cluttered with junk its not a virus as I also have the latest norton 360 on it. What I want to do is reinstall win 7 and start afresh but I don't want to lose what's on the computer. Is there an option to fresh install but move current content to a folder?

If you reinstall win7 without go formatting the hard rive , it will create a folder called windows old, all your old content should be there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Windows Easy Transfer: _http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/products/features/windows-easy-transfer

Then do a fresh install or factory reset - depending on your preference, and whether there is a restore partition.

I wouldnt bother with re-installing, chances are you've got malware slowing you down........
what you need:
1. rkill (h**p://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/)
2. malware bytes (h**ps://www.malwarebytes.org/)

once youve got them its simple, run rkill, once that finishes, install malware bytes and run....

I did post earlier but it seem to be missing, anyway given the above a go and seems fine at the moment, now to tidy the desktop and see if it keeps working ok.

have everyone forgotten about the good ole fashioned usb stick!!! Docs, PIctures, Favourites etcthey can all be backed up. Plus reloading windows over windows = bad baaaaaaad idea. chances are if you are infected with anything your new os shall just get clogged that much quicker.

So do yourself a favour back up your work to stick /removable hdd and give it a fresh install. If you cant be bothered to reload all of the runtimes etc afterward then check out ninite.

if you do reinstall it make sure you get a copy of the activation key first. There are tools you can download that will read the registry and give you the key needed to re-activate windows once installed

if you do reinstall it make sure you get a copy of the activation key first. There are tools you can download that will read the registry and give you the key needed to re-activate windows once installed
Windows Activation Backup and Restore. The programmer only ever got to beta with 7, before he found employment with Microsoft and made to discontinue development (allegedly).

Fortunately it works every time I've used it, and is not needed for Windows 8 - as the key is embedded into the BIOS on prebuilt systems so should activate automatically on a fresh install (although there are methods to obtain it).

Last edited:
I would do a full format to make sure malware is gone, then reinstall and put a more solid antivirus on such as kaspersky.

Windows Easy Transfer: _http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/products/features/windows-easy-transfer

Then do a fresh install or factory reset - depending on your preference, and whether there is a restore partition.

^^^ This. Great utility that backs up documents and settings. Save the file to external device or network share and you can re-install with a clean install.

For activation for Win7 Daz loader 2.2.1 has never failed me. For Win8 I use MS Toolkit 2.5.2 which also does Win7, Office 2010 and Office 2013.

Back