Wii Help Needed

WIZARD22

Inactive User
Reaction score
I am hoping for some help here. Being totaly new to the wii needs must as kids are bending by ear for one for Christmas. Now that I have one hidden now, I am looking to mod it. The question I have is were do I start tools needed can I run games from a external hard drive am I better to load a game from a Disk. I have looked at some of the post but somewhat confused as to the first steps required. What software do I need its a new Wii so I presume it has the latested software on it do I need to update it first.

you need to tell us what firmware version its on 1st, go into settings and it tells you in the top right hand corner!

Thanks I will look when I get home I got it last night but have not even connected it up yet. I am hearing that a the use of hard drive may be the best way to go. But from what you are saying the method depends on the base software on the Wii. So as a starting point am I best to update to the unit to the latest version from their site and work from that point. I dont think it will ever be used on the net it will be just a standalone games machine.(I Think)

Thanks I will look when I get home I got it last night but have not even connected it up yet. I am hearing that a the use of hard drive may be the best way to go. But from what you are saying the method depends on the base software on the Wii. So as a starting point am I best to update to the unit to the latest version from their site and work from that point. I dont think it will ever be used on the net it will be just a standalone games machine.(I Think)
no dont update mate whatever you do, as if you do update to 4.3 you need the indiana jones games to then hack it, as for the hard drive, you can do it with whatever firmware its on mate and yes it defo the best way to go.

Don't update to the most recent version yet.

External harddisk is by far the best/quickest way of playing games. You'll need an SD card (about 512mb upto 1GB) and probably the most easiest way of doing it is using a package called 'modmii' ( i think someone has linked to it before) - this will create u a custom set of files to copy onto the SD Card to help mod the wii

Check out edogg's posts here : https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/250828/#post1857808

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all cant do much at the moment until I find whats on the unit I will keep it away from the web and post back this evening with the softwhere version. We can then go forward with what I need to do. Just to speed things up does the unit have a USB port, and what size of harddisk do I need as I have a few 500 Gigs which are standalone drives. Is there a internal drive in the unit. As I said above its all new and thats why I am asking the questions first as opposed to making a balls and then looking for help.

it is possible that one of your drives will do !!
the wii has two usb ports
if you get configurable usb loader the drive can be left as ntfs format or you can format it to fat32 which ever of those 2 formats you use create a folder and name it wbfs this is to store the games on look for my posts and scrapyards also manonamission for information on modding and installing games and such all the info you need is on here

edogg

Hey people,

Is the Wii you have brand new? The reason i ask is if it is having a harddrive is the only way you will be able to play backup games.

The new Wii's have a different drive that WONT play DVDr's. The firmware is the same on all Wii's.

If it is brand new then not all is lost. Using the correct tut for the version you are on softmod it as normal and install the USB config loader. Then you will be able to download all the games you want and drop them into the WBFS folder or rip original games from the drive to the hdd.

Ray

The version of software on the wii is VER 4.1E and the wii is a brand new one it has just been powered up to get the software ver and setup the basic settings never been connected to the net an more that likely never will be. What is my best route now from what is being said am I better to forget using the drive for copy games but is it ok for bought ones. I have a 500 Gig drive sorted now and a 2 Gig sd card at the ready what is my new step on the learning curve. Thying to do all this when you know who are all where they are suppose to be at 11.00 at night.

The version of software on the wii is VER 4.1E and the wii is a brand new one it has just been powered up to get the software ver and setup the basic settings never been connected to the net an more that likely never will be. What is my best route now from what is being said am I better to forget using the drive for copy games but is it ok for bought ones. I have a 500 Gig drive sorted now and a 2 Gig sd card at the ready what is my new step on the learning curve. Thying to do all this when you know who are all where they are suppose to be at 11.00 at night.

Hi m8.

If you are on 4.1 you need to follow this guide:
https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/223361/
I dont think you will be able to read copied games (DVDR) with the drive you have in the Wii (check tho just incase). You will be able to rip original games via the drive ok tho to the hdd. Other way is to download them and drop them in to the correct folder on the external drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back