Wii 003 error

dilpz

Member ++
Reaction score
Hi all,

My mate has given me his chipped Wii that he bought from Asia somewhere to fix.it boots up with 003 unauthorised device and goes no further. He said it happened when it took an update.from the reading I've done it seems that the Wii must have been region modified before he bought it and then screwed up when taking an E update from nintendo europe's servers.

I was wondering if there was any way to resurrect the Wii? There is no NAND backup at all although I do have another chipped wii available to use if it helps with prepping files etc for a fix.

Anyone have any ideas?

Someone? Anyone? Update - I've since found out it's a region changed Korean Wii that was updated to another system menu (not sure which) by my mate 18 months ago when he wasn't supposed to.

Last edited:
Hi mate, it's not something I have ever seen. Does it have HBC installed or at least did it? Have u tried loading summat like MMM (multi mod manager) from sd card on boot up?

Hi m8,

I'm not sure if it had hbc on it.think it was hardmodded but not sure what chip was used.I'll try mmm and see what happens.

there isnt any fix for this at the moment :/ its what happens with koren region changed wii's when updated sorry

Edit: actually there is only one chance, if you had cioscorp/darkcorp installed you can fix it

Last edited:
Hi guys sorry for the late reply on this. Just to say that I've seen a fix using a modded gamecube controller to get the wii in recovery mode and then using an autoboot DVD to get to hackmii again.it's called smash stack. I'll give it a go and report back.

OK! I said I'd report back and I'm happy to say I managed to fix it using the smash stack exploit! I used the guide here (mods please remove if I'm not allowed to link to this site)

http://www.wiihacks.com/bricked-wii...03-unauthorized-device-has-been-detected.html

You have to have a Modchip installed in the Wii so you can boot modified isos of mario kart and super smash bros from recovery mode.

Hope this helps anyone in a similar situation.

You are lucky, 003 has been unfixable for a long time. We only recently put that guide up on wiihacks within the last month or 2

Hi dilpz, i am facing the wii 003 error on my Korean Wii which was updated 3 days back and need help. I don't have a gc controller and would like to understand step by step guide on how can i know which version is my Wii on and just but to restore it to the previous workable version. It has a modified chip but i never installed any pirated games and just had two games which are original Wii FIt and Wii Sports resorts.

There was no HomeBrew Channel on it but something modChipSoftR... Please help. Can i reach you privately?

Hi dilpz, i am facing the wii 003 error on my Korean Wii which was updated 3 days back and need help. I don't have a gc controller and would like to understand step by step guide on how can i know which version is my Wii on and just but to restore it to the previous workable version. It has a modified chip but i never installed any pirated games and just had two games which are original Wii FIt and Wii Sports resorts.

There was no HomeBrew Channel on it but something modChipSoftR... Please help. Can i reach you privately?
As this thread is 9 years old i bet you a tenner the OP has got himself a Switch now 😉

Back