wigan in the premiership?

chrisclo

Inactive User
Reaction score
will they go up?
will they stay up?
will they get bigger crowds?
and will the rugby still play at the stadium?

chrisclo

might come up, but staying there is a different matter

like all the other small clubs............

I come from Wigan but do not follow football, if they do go up its up to mr whelan to invest a few million on players, i would like them to stay up and do well for the good of the town and who cares about Wigan rugby.

I agree with phil-c that if they do go up (which I think they will) Mr Whelan has to coff up some more,I am all for the smaller clubs doing well with the big boys and causing upsets!

Bandi

Bad news For the Pie Eaters

Wigan chairman David Whelan is calling for new guidelines relating to the cost of policing football matches.
The club had been close to playing their remaining Championship fixtures behind closed doors or at a different venue after their local force, Greater Manchester Police (GMP), threatened to withdraw their match day services following rows over unpaid policing bills worth £300,000.
But the Latics chairman has agreed to pay all the policing costs until the end of the season while the initial debt remains on hold.
And Whelan said: "What I intend to do now is meet with Sports Minister Richard Caborn to try and address the issue of policing charges across the board.
"It cannot be right that we are charged almost £43,000 for the match against Leeds while Preston, where it is Lancashire Police Force rather than GMP, are charged only £7,700.
"I feel the same tariff should be charged across the country so that there is a level playing field.
"If every football club was charged at the rate we have been, then I fear for the health of the Football League in this country and that is why I have taken a stand on this issue.
"I would like to see a situation where we all work under the same tariff so that the clubs and the police know where they stand.
"I have not enjoyed my dispute with the police but this was about a point of principle and not about money. We could afford to pay the bill but I just didn't feel it was right as I felt the charges were unfair," he told the club's official website, www.wiganathletic.co.uk.
While there are guidelines already in place set by the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO), a Home Office spokesperson said the charges for each match were determined by each individual Police Authority.
A spokesperson for the GMP said the force followed the ACPO guidelines and added that each game was categorised into which games were high risk and low risk for potential public order incidents and they looked at their own intelligence before deciding how it would be policed .
He said: "Each club and game is looked at individually and for those clubs such as Wigan are near a shopping area and the town centre so we have to look at what effect the game is going to have on those areas."
But he stressed the club were only charged for those officers inside the ground: "We don't charge the club for policing the areas outside the ground, only for the officers inside.
"We also use officers who are off duty so we're not taking resources from other areas of the community but we have to pay them over-time to do so."
So far this season, Wigan have had seven fixtures which have not needed a police presence.
Greater Manchester Police Chief Peter Ness today Issued a statement saying
All police will now be withdrawn at Wigan Athletic Matches as from this Saturday therefore making the Safety Certificate Void

So no matches will be allowed to be played at the ground from this weekend
Wigan Athletic Chairman has complained to the Football League who will make a statement today backing up Greater Manchester Police Forces stance on the matter

wigan

I am a forest season ticket holder, we played Wigan a couple of weeks ago. Can't say I was overly impressed, and believe me I am easily impressed (you have to be supporting forest lol ;) Graham Kavanagh is an excellent buy and will do ok in the prem. The two strikers have been the difference this season for Wigan, they need to buy 7 or 8 quality players to survive.

phil-c said:
, i would like them to stay up and do well for the good of the town and who cares about Wigan rugby.

i hope they make it to the prem and stay up and make the wiganers proud as the rugby are sick of being the only ones to put us on the map go out of wigan and mention latics no one knows who your on about mention the warriors though and a diferent reaction there

have they still got the worst support in their division ?
are they still running at a loss in the local paper a loss of five million this year so far ?
dont think latics will ever have 25,004 spectators well unless they get in the prem and then they will have to rely on the likes of united liverpool and arsenal i think

dave whelan as promised paul jewell 30 million in transfer funds if they go up major hick up against west ham hope we get it together against sunderland on tuesdat as for the notts forrest fan i was also at that game and your goal near the end was a mile offside and it was our third game in a week two wins and a draw is championship football, the two up front are good but the likes of bullard,baines.filan are unsung heroes,as for the police its a complete rip off bolton have a shopping centre next door and with gmp but they are not being charged as much as us and also im sure that the reebok stadium is in aspull wigan
chrisclo

chrisclo said:
dave whelan as promised paul jewell 30 million in transfer funds if they go up major hick up against west ham hope we get it together against sunderland on tuesdat as for the notts forrest fan i was also at that game and your goal near the end was a mile offside and it was our third game in a week two wins and a draw is championship football, the two up front are good but the likes of bullard,baines.filan are unsung heroes,as for the police its a complete rip off bolton have a shopping centre next door and with gmp but they are not being charged as much as us and also im sure that the reebok stadium is in aspull wigan
chrisclo

full back was playing him onside, the cameras didn't catch it tho i am reliably informed ;) not saying wigan aren't a good side, they are doing well in a very average divisision, borne out by the fact everyone is beating everyone else, check last nights results. The point to which i was alluding regarding the strikers, they make the difference, if you have 2 firing you will be in the play-offs at least.
Good luck to Wigan if they go up, money is a help but no guarantee, i do rate your manager even if he does whinge like a stuck pig at every decision that goes against him.

and how luck were you, you are on a good run at the right time and i wish you well however we will be better than you in prem
chrisclo

realistically chaps, do you think any of the three that go up have any more chance of staying up than the three that went up last year? It looks as though they are going to come straight back down. IMHO the black cats have the better chance of staying up, purely because of the fan base and the revenue that can give can make all the difference. The model for smaller sides must be charlton and brum.

I think its a certantity that if the Latcics go up Dave Whelan will spend spend spend just like Jack Walker with Blackburn

used to love watchin them over 20 years ago in the Northern Premier league I hope they go up but cant for the life of me think what the pitch will be like after the Rugger lads have been playing on it

Its good to see that the "smaller" clubs can still go up, imagine getting in the champions league eh

ist that a imposability? maybe uefa in three years is the goal and jewell is a shrewd spender, so with 30 million in kity who knows ..the fan base isnt a problem we would have sold out against sunderland but as usual the police stopped them selling tickets the day before the match...most of the clubs in the prem are bigger than sunderland who may have a fan base but no money
chrisclo

wigan in the premiership? Just dosn't sound right does it! Good luck to um if they make it, but you just feel as though it will be a short stay.

4 more games and we are there
come on the lads
chrisclo

chrisclo said:
ist that a imposability? maybe uefa in three years is the goal and jewell is a shrewd spender, so with 30 million in kity who knows ..the fan base isnt a problem we would have sold out against sunderland but as usual the police stopped them selling tickets the day before the match...most of the clubs in the prem are bigger than sunderland who may have a fan base but no money
chrisclo

Most of the clubs in the prem are bigger than sunderland?? you're avin a larf mate:
43253 Sunderland v Leeds 2004/05
source: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/division?league=ENG.2&year=2004&cc=5739

Its the fan base that makes a club big, look at manure, do you think they would be where they are now without the massive worldwide support buying all their merchandise? Admittedly their fans are fickle, but whose aren't ;)
from the same source: longest unbeaten run: 17 Wigan..impressive ;) They build the fan base by playing attractive or attacking football, getting into europe and good branding. Will the people of wigan embrace football when RL is so popular and arguably the highest concentration of prem clubs in your part of the world sapping your support base?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/attendance?league=ENG.2&cc=5739

Not exactly premiership support, wimbledon managed it by selling players, good luck to them tho, refreshing to see a change;)

Rank Team Total Avg.
1 Leeds 611,262 29,107
2 Sunderland 580,709 27,652
3 West Ham 568,573 27,074
4 Wolverhampton 559,628 26,648
5 Ipswich 532,507 25,357
6 Derby 521,321 24,824
7 Leicester 436,312 24,239
8 Nottm Forest 493,032 23,477
9 Sheff Utd 410,078 19,527
10 Reading 356,480 16,975
11 Stoke 335,690 16,784