Wifi dm800 hd

tonyten

Inactive User
Reaction score
I'm here there everywhere - Right behind You.....
Hi all,

I've had my dm 800 box a year now. What i want to do is, instead of using the ethernet cable i want to make the box wifi. I have a spear usb wifi stick doing nothing and was wondering if any one has a step by step guide how to do it.

Is it possible? My usb stick is a D-Link 802.11g.

Many thanks
Tonyten

Hi all,

I've had my dm 800 box a year now. What i want to do is, instead of using the ethernet cable i want to make the box wifi. I have a spear usb wifi stick doing nothing and was wondering if any one has a step by step guide how to do it.

Is it possible? My usb stick is a D-Link 802.11g.

Many thanks
Tonyten

Just been Browsing the net and found a link how to step by step. I also found a link which shows all usb wifi sticks which will work with my image. The Problem is, that in the step by step guide it says go into wlan in network configuration section??

I'm using dream elite 1.33d v3 on my box and i don't have that option in my network. Does anyone konw what settings i need or what to download from dream elite?

Hi Tony

I use homeplugs the reason is I don't like wifi as I find it is not as reliable. I know there is good tuts but I think you need a certain wifi USB.

exact same question asked by me a few days ago..solution - wireless bridges! thread here

Last edited by a moderator:
exact same question asked by me a few days ago..solution - wireless bridges! thread here

HI ya,

Thanks for the link. I've already setup two wireless routers doing (Wireless bridge) I just have a couple of spare wifi usb sticks doing nothing, and would like to see if they worked.

Its just to have another option if they do work.

Last edited by a moderator:
ah OK, let me know how you get on then, and good work with the "bridges" i did download the zip file in that other thread and used an FTP program to put the files on the dream box, I've seen that there's some wireless fixes etc in the downloads via the dream box but haven't managed to get it to work, saying that the reason that i asked the question in the 1st place was for a friend that's setting up and we didn't have wireless over next to his TV, installed a couple of routers now as bridges and all working. as you say though, good to know....let me know how you get in I'd be interested in hearing it. (I'm black hole) image Dream800HD

ta.

Last edited:
i done a bit od reading on it and it all seemed to say that "if the wireless dongle is compatible, i.e the chip set" then it'll be displayed under network settings, have tried 2 so far that i have but as i say, don't need it my self, but it would be good to know.....good luck! (p.s what image are you using)

nice one, thanks, i think that is the same image that i'm on.....good work......post back with your findings! :Biggrin2:

Maybe a silly suggestion but I assume that you've tried plugging in the USB wifi dongle and then done a reboot? I've found that somethings on the box aren't plug and play and a reboot is required in order for the box to pick the device up.

i bought my dm800hd with wifi and came with a black wifi usb stick (had dreambox printed on it) it was from well know chinese seller... starting with "M"
im using same image but dont have WLAN option.. tried downloading plug in also.. if they supply this stick with the box it should be compatable

i bought my dm800hd with wifi and came with a black wifi usb stick (had dreambox printed on it) it was from well know chinese seller... starting with "M"
im using same image but dont have WLAN option.. tried downloading plug in also.. if they supply this stick with the box it should be compatable

The USB WIFI dongle probably is compatible it's probably the image your using doesnt have the relevant drivers for the Wifi chipset used by the dongle. TSPanel I believe lets you download and install Wifi drivers, you need to identify the WIFI chipset your USB dongle uses and install the relevant drivers.

The USB WIFI dongle probably is compatible it's probably the image your using doesnt have the relevant drivers for the Wifi chipset used by the dongle. TSPanel I believe lets you download and install Wifi drivers, you need to identify the WIFI chipset your USB dongle uses and install the relevant drivers.

the wifi dongle works for about 5 mins then freezes.. how do i identify chipset? i got it from chinese supplier begining with "M" and the dongle is black and has "dreambox" written on one side and a sticker with:
RTL8191
300m
IEEE802.11 b/g/n
doing a google search of RTL8191 bring up .. Realtek RTL8191/8192SE WiFi

i tired Dream elite BH 1.33 and it wouldnt see my wireless dongle then tried openpli and it found it (so i assume the image doesnt support wifi dongle)

however after 5 mins the picture froze and the dongle was useless so i used a wifi bridge instead.. however i would prob advise getting a psu for it as if u power it using the usb from the box its more load on the dreambox's psu (and if its a clone never know how reliable they are - esp if running a internal HDD also)

Back