wifi adaptor for vu+solo

johnny bravo

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi guys - anyone recommend a good working wifi adaptor that will work with a vu+solo with blackhole 1.7.8 image ?...i could go via homeplugs but due to lack of sockets i was thinking of buying a wifi adaptor...i have a tplink 300mbps wireless router...is it simply plugging in the wifi adaptor into the solo and it connects automatically to my wireless router ?..or more to it ?..cheers

Last edited:
Firstly make sure the wifi adaptor you purchase uses a chipset for which there are working drivers available in E2 images. Once you plugin the adaptor you may need to reboot the reciever then under network settings you should see your adaptor, you need to enter your wireless network SSID, Security type, Key etc..then you should be able to connect.
Alternatively you could get a Vonets Wifi bridge which removes all the hassle of drivers and compatibility etc and is transparent to the reciever (the reciever thinks it's using a cabled connection).

There's a list of compatible chipsets floating around somewhere.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

i borrowed a couple from a mate who wasnt using them lol...200Mbps tp link...are working flawlesly to be honest...my router is way up in the attic and solo is downstairs living room...who said they dont work on different power circuits in the house...lol..working fine, will bung my mate afew quid and keep these, no good to him he says..

i borrowed a couple from a mate who wasnt using them lol...200Mbps tp link...are working flawlesly to be honest...my router is way up in the attic and solo is downstairs living room...who said they dont work on different power circuits in the house...lol..working fine, will bung my mate afew quid and keep these, no good to him he says..

Thats a result then, personally I dont like using wireless for devices that dont need it...it's more suited to mobile devices like laptops, phones, tablets. Homeplugs are the next best thing to running direct ethernet cables.
I've got a pair of homeplugs in my house 200meg ones but my electrical cabling is old so I get crap speeds nowhere near 200mbps. Fine for CS but no good for streaming HD video etc.. If your electrical cabling is good quality and recent you'll be fine the homeplugs better than wireless.

Thats a result then, personally I dont like using wireless for devices that dont need it...it's more suited to mobile devices like laptops, phones, tablets. Homeplugs are the next best thing to running direct ethernet cables.
I've got a pair of homeplugs in my house 200meg ones but my electrical cabling is old so I get crap speeds nowhere near 200mbps. Fine for CS but no good for streaming HD video etc.. If your electrical cabling is good quality and recent you'll be fine the homeplugs better than wireless.

yeah my wiring is fairly newish, i only use it for cs to my solo, but im thinking of getting one more tp link adptor like this so i can hook up the kids pc, which is downastiars in the front room, im using a netgear wifi dongle to connect to my router but signal isnr very strong....ill have a look on the bay...it doesnt have to be the same make...or does it ?...

Last edited:
they have to follow the same standards to interoperate. I used to have some comtrend powerline 200mbps adaptors, you cant mix thse with the homeplugs as theyre different standards. So it's not the make/model necceasirly that dicates if theyll interoperate it's the standards/protocols they operate on.

so i need a 200Mbps one regardless of make ?...seen a few 85Mbps ones but dont think theyll work..ill see if i can find a tp link same as the ones i got..cant go wrong..lol

Safest bet go for same make, model and speed. Or make sure they conform to the same protocol and standard, check the user manuals and documentation on the manufacturers website.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

cheers matey..will keep an eye out for one from fleabay..

Back