Why Rapidshare ?

Diddy

Inactive User
Reaction score
Just wondering why so many use rapidshare to post up their goodies ? I mean I am always greatfull to anyone who "ups" something of interest to me so please don't think im knocking peoples efforts because Im really not. But I just cant see why you would not up this stuff to newsgroups or even torrents (torrents are not as secure as newsgroups but if the stuff isn't copyrighted or you have a cloned modem ect ect then its all good).
Why Rapidshare ? Do you get some sort of "credit" for the amount of hits your file gets ? Is it quicker to upload ? Personal preference ?
I also ask due to the fact that if you want to download a multi part file from Rapidshare you either (A) Need to spend all day downloading a set of files, Due to the 15min rule for free users or (B) You need to buy some credit to download unlimited.......leading me to wonder do the up-loaders get a "piece" of this in either monetary reward ? (Unlikely) or Free days for themselves ?
So come on DW spill the beans what have I missed lol ?

I suppose it's because it's easy and most people are too lazy to learn anything else.

yes people do get money for each link that has been downloaded.
myself use hotfile i just like it better,
as for rapdishare the 15min wait does my head-in, so i just change my ip and i can download right away.
not everyone knows about torrent/news etc or just dont use them.

why i use rapidshare easy than the news groups in my opinion , i have flashget on my pc all i do is copy the links then there auto opened up in flashget very easy not only that its the download speeds are relly good if on a decent connection and i do pay for a premium account so really do max the downloads , most cases over 2 megs a sec , newz groups also have great download speeds , its down to choice really but i have used both and i do prefer rapidshare

i usually put files up on torrent sites and rapidshare.
you don't get money for files downloaded from rapidshare.

it's easier uploading to rs because when it's up it's up and you don't have to seed for ages waiting untill enough people have the file to take over seeding.

I use Newsgroups as I find it easy. I use powerpost and all you have to do is setup your account for the newsserver, then to upload it's just a case of tell it which files and which groups. It automatically creates an NZB file for sharing.

For downloading I also use newsgroups, but some rapidshare as well. I like the newsgroups as it's simple (once the software is setup) with auto quickpar and auto unpacking. No seeding or uploading at all, full download speed always and unlimited data.

I have a premium rapidshare account and until recently it cost twice the price of my newsgroup server, and still does if I download more than 30gb per month (which I do but weekly).

If I didnt pay for rapidshare I wouldnt bother jumping through all the hoops to download, waiting times, slow speed. Some of the other sites are crazy with all the links, popups, captcha's and waiting you have to do.

I dont do torrent's or p2p as I dont want to be connected to another person's pc that I don't trust. Out of the 10's of IP's you are connected to on torrent's do you know what each one of them is, can you vouch for them.

Just use jdownloader it will get all the bit's for you and unrar them (using a password if needed)
Leave the computer running overnight to collect everything.

Does more than just rapidshare.

in many cases its what somebody else has show you..

i have used rs for ages and find it very easy, i use internet download manager and have it set to download at 01:00 in the morning, No additional cost or limit apart from the minimum from rs and no limiting by virmin, just right click and add files to list and its all there in the morning.

the link is always maxed out. i am also a member of two rs forums where content is divided and subdivided into sections that you can browse or use search if you are looking for something specific.

i think the max size of file a single file is 500MB now on rs so its easy to upload multiple files that are rar'd and only have to download 9 files for a complete ripped dvd, when i used newsgroups sometimes you would download 200 files with par files and you only needed 1 to be corrupt ...

i have tried news groups in two concerted efforts and both times i was left disappointed, perhaps it was the servers i was on but it was great if you knew exactly what you wanted you could find stuff via the searchs but if you just wanted to browse and see if anything caught your eye it was painful and very time consuming.

as with all the things with competing technologies (anitvirus software, mac/pc, and many more argued on this forum) there will be folk who praise one and decry the other, its good there is a choice in this country

So we have conflicting points of yes you get paid/no you don't ? Anyway I wasn't really bothered about weather the uploader gets paid or not lol I was just more curious as to what the reason was/is. IMHO I have always used Newsgroups and find that they can max out my connection unless VM are messing around during the day lol.....but as with all downloaders you can set up your newsgroup downloader to download at night at full speed unrar/repair and even stick the files in whatever folder you want....Im sure that RS users can do exactly the same so I suppose there is no REAL difference just preference I suppose.
Following on from the OP then can anyone who uses the premium features of both tell me/DW which one they prefer ?
1. Which one has best content ?
2. Which one has the latest content 1st ?
3. Do you get "broken downloads" on RS and if so do you get par files to repair in the same way as you would on the NG's ?
4. Which one's have the most nobs putting up virus infected files....or are they about the same in that regard ?

Thanks for answering the questions peeps...Im not nosy I just want to know lol.:proud:

sorry forgot to say you don't get paid money you do get points and they can go towards extending you account subscription but its a bit like necter point you have to save for ever to get anything...

i cant give you from both sides but

3 no you dont get par file you just get for example a 800g avi film 4 files 200mb each and you down load 4 files and unrar thats it, rs is basiclly a giant ftp server so the file is there or not.

4 as i am on forums where i get my links the other members/mods/admin take a dim view of people who upload virus malware so the links are removed and so is the member of the forum so its regulated. if you just us a search engine on the internet as it were for example rapidshare.com pink floyd and you follow up one of thos links then there is more chance of files being infected

Last edited:
1. Which one has best content ?

I feel that the newsgroups have a better content, with much easier access to NZB and indexing sites.

2. Which one has the latest content 1st ?

Both. As some peeps prefere to upload to their fave site.

3. Do you get "broken downloads" on RS and if so do you get par files to repair in the same way as you would on the NG's ?

Not only do you get broken files, you also get deleted files, files that do not contain what they are supposed to.
I have never seen repair files (PAR2) on rapidshare, but they are nearly always present in newsgroups downloads. Newsleecher can be set to only download the PAR files if they are needed, thus not waisting bandwidth.

4. Which one's have the most nobs putting up virus infected files....or are they about the same in that regard ?

Newsgroups seem to have attracted the knobs, but if you stick to repitubale NZB sites, or use common sense, if it's only 15kb odds on it aint gonna be a film.

I starting to see more trogen stuff starting to appear on newsgroups these days plus more password protects posts. But stick to the reptuable posters and normally don't have a problem. Also bigger indexing sites allow user comments so duff posts are usually quickly highlighted.

I noticed that rapidshare has moved to some weird payments for credits system ?

can't buy unlimited downloads by the month any more ?

i use it, because its easy. never been paid for links.
i tried using newsgroups, couldnt understand it,
i download from torrents.

if you are on a good server you can use ssl to encript what you are downloading so those pesky isp's cant see what your up to.

maybe im just plain Lazy, but i liked it when Certain members used Megaupload, as i could just download one large file.

Rather than lots of smaller ones from RS.

TBH most of time i cant be bothered with the time it takes to download stuff and the cost involved (afraid my Home PC is not turned on 24hrs a day), due to me being a tight B*stard with the Leccy.

That and broken links, crap quality Cams etc .

Its easier for me to to Order 20 DVD's of my choice for £24.99, sent through the Post and know that everyone will be watchable.

Also able to play them on any Normal DVD player, as in my Family im the only one that can watch DIVX etc on my Sony DVD HDD recorder.

With the newsgroups for £7 and a virgin 20mb line you could get 50 DVD's in DVD format all watchable and 100 DIVX films to convert to DVD's. Per month. :)

With the newsgroups for £7 and a virgin 20mb line you could get 50 DVD's in DVD format all watchable and 100 DIVX films to convert to DVD's. Per month. :)

Cant get Cable here mate, Peterborogh is nearest at 20 miles away.

So im on 8mb unlimited (which is 6.5meg on a good day) with O2 for £7.50 a month.

Im nearly 3 miles from my Local exchange, so as you can see its more of time factor.

It was even worse on BT 1.5mb on a good day and down to less 680 on a crap day, before i went LLU and told BT where to stick their crap broadband,lol

My m8 lives in a village in south Wales, and he's just over 3 miles from his exchange, but he gets 20meg (downloads at a constant 15meg) with TalkTalk. But he only got 3meg downloads with plusnet.

We've been with cable for around 15 years, when we moved house I said to the mrs that I wasnt going to a non-cable area. :)

Just another bit of info.

Last night I uploaded an DTS album using both rapidshare (premium account and using their upload manager) and also uploaded it to the newsgroups.

It took almost twice as long to upload to rapidshare as it did to the newsgroups. Both methods were not restricted at all and they were not running at the same time.

Back