Whos the resident A/V Expert, I have a few questions...

Bally12345

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
1. Are HDMI Switchers worth getting or would you lose quality? eg something like this 5 Port way hub/splitter/switcher ?? HDMI AUTO SWITCH ?? on eBay, also, Video Switches, DVD Home Cinema, Consumer Electronics (end time 05-Apr-09 14:45:00 BST)

2. Got a Sumsung Plasma which has opti out, connected it to my much older Technics hifi which has opti in but get terrible echo do I basically need a new amp because sound through hdmi and opti out seems to be out of sync... Also I tried connecting opti out from my V+ Box but still had same problem...

3. I have got a Samsung PS50A457P1DXXU and looking to get surround system for it now im thinking if I get a different brand will I still get these echo issues or will that be resolved by getting Samsung Equipment, I really like the HT-TX500R/XEU which comes with 4 tall boy speakers, upscaling dvd player with divx support but no blueray... As my plasma is only 720p would it be better changing to a newer model that comes with a blue ray player? Only thing is I dont think the blue ray version will support divx?

TIA

I assume you have got the TV sound on at the same time as the Amplifier?

If so mute the TV. There is no need to have the TV sound up if you going through the AMP. Simples....;)
If you have both on, you will always get a delay as the AMP will have to process it.

Ok so my hifi is no good then really because it only has two speakers what I need is a home cinema system and just turn the tv speakers off for good...

I would not say your HI-Fi is no good :) If your HI-FI speakers are either side of the TV you WILL get better sound, but there will be a lip sync issue.

The best thing to go for is a dedicated Surround Sound System. There will be nothing wrong with getting a Samsung to match your TV. Infact you may only need to use 1 remote aswell :)

With a dedicated system you can also adjust lip sync so everything is tickity boo :)

I only run my surround system when I am watching a movie anyway, the rest of the time I feel there is no need.

No PS3, this is what I have hooked up,
HDMI1: V+ Box
HDMI2: Humax Foxsat Freesat
HDMI3: XBOX 360
Comp.: Wii

Got a HDX-1000 (NMT) which I need to connect but out of HDMI sockets hense reason looking and getting a switcher.

BTW the V+ HD PQ is shit compared to to the Foxsat HD PQ as in say you watch BBC HD on cable and then switch to the same channel on Satelite you can notice the difference straight away... Could this be a signal issue or is satelite just better for HD? Seriously considering signing up to Sky HD because of lack of HD content on Cable and poor PQ.

Last edited:
What you want is a seperates system then. With built in AV Switcher. That would give the best results. You can then pick the speakers you want:)

Something along the lines of this SONY STRDA2400-BLK at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc. That would be ideal, 4 HDMI inputs/ 4 Optical Inputs and an HDMI out back to the TV which also carrys the audio (Not all do) :) Along with these speaker's MORDAUNT SHORT ALUMNI-SYS-BLK at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

The above is just for an Idea:) But thats the way I would do it, when I replace mine:)

Ended up going with the all in one samsung system because the family liked it... But for some reason it downsamples all audio to 2channel and I cant figure out how to get all the speakers working....

there is probably a setting on the AV unit which is auto detecting and isnt detecting correctly, had a similar problem on my Denon Amp where it was feeding a 5.1 DTS/DD through optical and it was only comping through 2 speakers.

Back