Who will be first?

I'm not a mega poster but visit the site most days just to browse the bargain section , console stuff and pc's . If i can help out in those sections then i try but watching this thread on dbox's etc is both amusing and sad at the same time . There are always people who are just lazy (whats that search button do i wonder ) and those who just leech and then there are those (B*******s) that sell . I will admit that i don't do anything on the dbox scene as my techie skills aren't good enough to compile an image so i try and help out other ways but all credit to the guys who give their skill and more importantly their time in creating a new image.

Just a thought and shoot me down if you think i'm wrong -- if a new image becomes available then would it be possible that the image is only downloadable if a paypal contribution is made and the proceeds are partly used for funding this forum and the rest to buy the techie who created the image a gift or some software that they require . I believe these guys should get some reward as i feel that the leechers are taking a mega advantage of these people.

Just a thought and shoot me down if you think i'm wrong -- if a new image becomes available then would it be possible that the image is only downloadable if a paypal contribution is made and the proceeds are partly used for funding this forum and the rest to buy the techie who created the image a gift or some software that they require . I believe these guys should get some reward as i feel that the leechers are taking a mega advantage of these people.

I think there may be legal issues if they were seen to profit from these files (though I don't know that with any certainty), despite that I the files would become widely available through the torrent sites anyway, at least this way the developers will get feedback and the community can benefit as a whole.

I think there may be legal issues if they were seen to profit from these files (though I don't know that with any certainty), despite that I the files would become widely available through the torrent sites anyway, at least this way the developers will get feedback and the community can benefit as a whole.
I think you are right there,probably these images are released under the GPL etc - so charging donations would break the rules (how ironic).

From my understanding, it isnt really the image at fault, but the emu's and the way the keys are used/updated etc.

I think you are right there,probably these images are released under the GPL etc - so charging donations would break the rules (how ironic).

From my understanding, it isnt really the image at fault, but the emu's and the way the keys are used/updated etc.

If all the items were to be made available separately would work i.e. If the image has no au keys then you are using an image for free to air or what ever. The keys on their own without an image cannot do anything. But if someone wanted to obtain both then it is no-ones fault but the end user if there is any comeback? Just a thought!

Just also like to re-iterate the work done by Cydine & Jimmy etc is greatly appreciated and we would be very far on without people like this!

Cheers

if the forum charged for the actual software image then yes we would be breaking the rules but maybe charge for access to a download section of the forum ( maybe its bending the rules slightly ). Anyway it was just an idea to try and get the guys a gift for their efforts .
The list of members online is amazing -- bet those leechers are sat on the forum waiting for an image !!!!!!

New Image!!!!!!

The list of members online is amazing -- bet those leechers are sat on the forum waiting for an image !!!!!!

Here's an image
cannon.jpg

Re: New Image!!!!!!

Do you reckon that guy has been watching Crocodile Dundee and thought - That's not a gun!!

If all the items were to be made available separately would work i.e. If the image has no au keys then you are using an image for free to air or what ever. The keys on their own without an image cannot do anything. But if someone wanted to obtain both then it is no-ones fault but the end user if there is any comeback? Just a thought!

Just also like to re-iterate the work done by Cydine & Jimmy etc is greatly appreciated and we would be very far on without people like this!

Cheers
But tthat already happens - the images are already out on the net and available here with no keys. Thats not the problem.

As soon as you charge people explicitly for obtaining an image you run the risk of breaking the EULA and also expose a site/forum etc as a business.

So whats the point when its all freely available for nothing all over the place?

There were actually several quite detailed posts on here at one point which I learned from.

Unfortunately they were all lost when the cable forums were purged.

I may write something up at some point. Don't know about posting it on here thought. That may just be bending the rules a little too much.

If you could write something up it would be a great help. Personally I know the basics of how to work around the lastest problem, but when it comes to modding the nagrarom.bin files I don't know where to start! I would love to learn though, but I have never been ableto find the info on how to do this for the dbox. I would much prefer we worked together to educate those that want it over the next few days into fixing the problem themselves than post the lasest image here ... I see a lot of post telling people to learn but I just cannot find the info. Are there any good posts on here or elsewhere that could take us through it?

if the forum charged for the actual software image then yes we would be breaking the rules but maybe charge for access to a download section of the forum ( maybe its bending the rules slightly ). Anyway it was just an idea to try and get the guys a gift for their efforts .
You start charging for a download section and the site becomes a business. As soon as it becomes a business, then the names and the addresses of the owners get published on the internet.

A lot of people work hard to provide help and development to a community here - and in other places. I would imagine that a lot of people who visit this site on a regular basis are slightly annoyed at the amount of posts all asking for the same thing - something for nothing. I can fully understand the cyniscim that some members must be experiencing. I for one am starting to get the same way due to the sincere lack of gratitude to those people who gave up a lot of their own personal time last night to offer assistance to those that asked for it.

We all know that the guys are working away furiously to sort out the problem for everyone, the kryptview has a fixed image already, so others will not be far off. . .

I must admit it was a bit disappointing to see hundreds of members join in one day, thing is they will leech the files they need, then never darken the forum with their presence again. . untill Virmin hit the boxes again. . .

In my opinion the scene is bringing about its own downfall. . While it was the domain of the hobbyist and the tinkerer, the cable companies were prepared to turn the other cheek, it wasnt economically viable to chase a few people. Now its hard to find someone who hasnt got a box of some description. I bet each one of the new members has 10 mates with boxes they are sorting out. This all adds up to the fact that free TV will eat itself.

I do hope that I am wrong, and that some of them become regular contributors, but I dont see it. .

We all know that the guys are working away furiously to sort out the problem for everyone, the kryptview has a fixed image already, so others will not be far off. . .

I must admit it was a bit disappointing to see hundreds of members join in one day, thing is they will leech the files they need, then never darken the forum with their presence again. . untill Virmin hit the boxes again. . .

In my opinion the scene is bringing about its own downfall. . While it was the domain of the hobbyist and the tinkerer, the cable companies were prepared to turn the other cheek, it wasnt economically viable to chase a few people. Now its hard to find someone who hasnt got a box of some description. I bet each one of the new members has 10 mates with boxes they are sorting out. This all adds up to the fact that free TV will eat itself.

I do hope that I am wrong, and that some of them become regular contributors, but I dont see it. .
I have a nagging suspicion you are not wrong. Especially when you see people with less than 40 posts who have been members for a few years asking the same question over and over.

You have a very good point there about the "scene" being the architect of its own demise. Only a few weeks ago a guy in the pub was trying to sell me a dbox...

I have a nagging suspicion you are not wrong. Especially when you see people with less than 40 posts who have been members for a few years asking the same question over and over.

Could there not be a cull of ip addresses if members do not post a certain amount of times in a set time period?

I know that a proxy 'may' be able to get around that...but the folk that are asking the most stupid questions are the ones that don't want to learn about how to fix this latest issue, they want someone to tell them and therefore probably won't have a clue how to get around the ip ban.

Or just password the cable forum like the adult room - or has this been mentioned already.

Just a thought though to keep the forum ticking over with posters that don't just come for a day or two when there's a problem, although a number do find this site via google for other reasons than the Virmin boxes.

PS - I might be talking out of my arse on this subject though ;-)

To be honest, I and probably several others have had this fixed since yesterday.

It's not a difficult fix - find the correct value to xor A with and load it into X. Hint: it's at $83.

But the point I want to make is this: if someone had posted the fix within one day the last time then I would have never got off my arse and learned how to do it myself.

So I will wait a few days before releasing it. Hopefully someone will beat me to it and it may inspire a few to try something new.

Cheers.

Totally agree mate.

Keep it to yourself but help out if anyone has any questions, it's the only way for people to learn.

There is more than enough info posted in the past 24 hours for anyone to DIY, they should atleast attempt it.

Wait, is Lakys Sylas not working after the crackdown? I was going to flash it but oh well. And to the noobs who come here just for images, help around, post in the freebies section like me :D Even though my post count is low, im not a leecher, i read and learn (as much as i can :D)

There are a lot of people here who are very technically minded and also spend a lot of time here trying to help others out with myriad problems.

Right now, there is nothing on DW that explains how these things work, so it would be great if people who do understand how it works took the time to illustrate it to others.

You never know, one of those infrequent visitors may come up with an interesting soloution.

Again as many before me have stated my post count isnt the greatest on these forums i try to help where i can but as my knowledge is limited to what i have learnt from other people on here i am restricted to what i can and cant help out with,to be perfectly honest i am basically only helping people who have picked up less than me from this forum which i agree isnt very much but i thought that was the whole ethos of this forum to share the knowledge as one of those newbies helped today may turn out to be the guru of tomorrow.I dont have the foggiest idea how to edit the nagra files or whatever it is that needs editing i am more than happy to learn the same we all had to learn how do something that seems simple like flash new image,all the hard work that goes into these fixes and indeed new image creations are greatly appreciated and hopefully we can see some more constructive threads about fixing this problem similar to the posts a while back about how to create an image,yes it was indepth but it was enjoyavble learning something new and becoming more self sufficient.You will always get people who dont want to learn or just want to take and give nothing back that is just human nature and while i understand the more accomplished dbox users frustrations i hope they arent influenced by the ungrateful and continue to help those of us who would love to learn how to sort everything out for ourselves.Keep up the good work and lets keep this forum great

There were actually several quite detailed posts on here at one point which I learned from.

Unfortunately they were all lost when the cable forums were purged.

I may write something up at some point. Don't know about posting it on here thought. That may just be bending the rules a little too much.

If you do write something up, I would be interested in a copy. I'm very 'logic' minded and think I would be able to mod a rom wiith a few pointers.

stop people joining up would be a start i think. if i could develope software like you guys do i would.....i just not smart enough.LOL
but i have helped some people with simple problems i.e hooking up to dbox etc etc

I'm not surprised that people come here when there is a problem.

After all the DigitalWorldZ images all show the URL, surely the teams wouldn't bother to put the URL unless they wanted people to use it ???

Just goes to show how many people are using the DW dbox2 and dream images.

Back