Which VU box..?

gataboy1

Inactive User
Reaction score
I am sure this question has been asked many times..! I currently have a Skybox F5S. It isn't the greatest bit of kit but it wasn't expensive and has been a good starting point. I know there are many boxes, however I do like the look of the VU range, but which one..?. The Solo 2 looks nice. I don't necessary need the ability to watch and record but the rest of the spec looks very good. One of my biggest gripes with the F5 is the EPG its very poor and a bit clunky, hopefully the VU is a few notches above this....any advice appreciated.

The VU+ Solo SE might be ok for you then.

The performance for the VU range spec wise cpu, memory, support etc will be more than a few notches up.

The Solo2 clone is around 120 or maybe even cheaper if you look around on AliExpress so to me it'd be a no brainer as to what to get.

In terms of "I don't use or need the dual tuner feature", I used to say exactly the same until I got my first dual tuner box a Vu Duo and let me I'd never ever go back, the convenience factor for me is now a must have. With the Solo2 this feature comes into its own as if there are 2 footy matches on at the same time then I can have the main match on the screen with a picture in picture small screen of the 2nd match and with the press of a button or 2 I can swap them.

There are various Solo2 boxes available, from what I've read I'd still stick with a Lonrison box to be honest. In terms of Solo2 or Solo2 SE, I'd personally stick with the Solo2 as it has a display. I also have a Solo which has no display and sometimes that can be a pain in arse.

The above are just my thoughts by the way.

I have a Solo2 and Duo2 - both are great. The Duo2 is marginally better in performace though.

I have two genuine Solo2 - One white one black. Really brilliant. Fast, build quality is amazing.

Before that I had a clone. The build quality of it wasn't as good, and I didn't like the way I couldn't just update the firmware. So ebay'd.

I've a Uno, solo2 and now a solo se (which replaced another uno).
The uno was a great box to start with, shame it got discontinued.

In its place, the solo se is just as good. Only downside I found was the lack of internal hdd feature.
This can be solved with a usb hdd, but meh.
Another thing most people wont like is the lack of a front display on the box. Not too bothered myself, as the box is upstairs out of the way, but its small enough and comes with a ir extender that you could hide it behind your tv.

The solo2 however is awesome. Fast menu's and channel zapping.
The twin tuner comes in handy for me, when I want to watch something via transcoding and the box can still be used for viewing at home.
The addition of a gigabit port helps with the plex playback too, can stream my movies at full res now.
Price is a bit high, but worth it.
Used the old duo once or twice, again a good box, but would rather pay the extra £70-80 for the solo2.
The duo2 is something I would love to play with, but no chance or intentions of paying that much for a box :p

There are various Solo2 boxes available, from what I've read I'd still stick with a Lonrison box to be honest...
I used to believe that is a wise decision but now sunray team are releasing more and more (patched) images including recent versions whereas before there seemed no support.

Some of the images on vu-hd site are really old now so now i'm glad I have a sunray. If you had asked me about a month or so ago and I would have said Lonrison lol.

What's the difference in price between a clone and legit box?
Bought my solo se for £189 last week.

What's the difference in price between a clone and legit box?
Bought my solo se for £189 last week.
Nearly £100 more for legit box but hard to compare fairly between them as legit box isn't twin tuner whereas the clone version is a twin tuner.

So for nearly £100 less you get a twin tuner compared to single tuner legit box.

That's not too bad actually. I'd be tempted actually.
But I don't know, I don't think I can trust clone boxes. You hear too many stories of flashing going wrong, or the psu burning out.
Also no after sale care, so if it breaks, you're buggered.

I started off with clones (Duo, Cloud iBox, SlyBox), bought a genuine 2nd hand Duo and had the same issues I had with the clone!! (power supply issues), so went back to clones, now on a Sunray Solo2.

I would only buy a clone IF there is a significant saving to be had compared to the original. The VU+ clones I'm purchased have saved me over £100 per device.

It is a risk that you may brick the device but I've yet to send one to Silicon Heaven. The Lorison (sp?) Solo2 worry me with the number people have bricked so far but that's a security issue that I'm sure is being worked on (just like Ferrari security chips). The Sunray however with the initial lack of support is currently the "safest" community supported clone to own IMHO.

Duo clone in the early days had power supply issues (I've replaced a couple over the past couple years) but at £15 delivered from China it was a no brainer.

DO NOT however expect hardware support from China.

If you are happy to take the risk, then join the many of us happy clone users :) Early clones are based on early revision of the devices they copy. So if my case the Duo original was a v1 which my clone was based on. 12 months later, the clone was at v2+ funnily enough based on the newer revision original. Clone haters appear to forget this.

Far too many clone scare mongering stories on forums!

Anyone know where I could get one of these clones in the uk?
Fancy having a play about with one now :p

Anyone know where I could get one of these clones in the uk?
Fancy having a play about with one now :p
I got my Sunray solo2 clone from aliexpress.com (china website) but if you specifically wanted to buy it from UK then ebay.

Apologies to hijacking but think my question fits in better than a new thread.

Apart from size and display, is it worth the £35 difference between a Solo2 SE and a Sunray (seems to be the popular chip) Solo 2 clone.

Spent ages reading the threads on here where it is starting to blur for me. Did not even know that there were different Solo 2 chips being used or the V4 update (or even if it is necessary to do - better safe than sorry). Once it it up and running, I like to leave the boxes alone to do their thing.

Back