• Windows Vista 64

Votes: 14 10.8%
  • Linux

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • Other OS

Votes: 6 4.6%

• Total voters
but thats about it...

All due respect to Macs etc, but they are just fashion accessories - it speaks volumes that you advise to use bootcamp in order to run Windows..

Just a quick question. Have YOU ever actually used an Apple Mac?

If you need to run Windows, then a dual boot Mac with Bootcamp means you can have both a Mac OS and a Windows and switch between the two. There is plenty of software being made for Macs but occasionally you do need to run something that you can only find for Windows, however if you search hard enough, there will almost always be an alternative Mac version that does the same thing.

Just a quick question. Have YOU ever actually used an Apple Mac?

If you need to run Windows, then a dual boot Mac with Bootcamp means you can have both a Mac OS and a Windows and switch between the two. There is plenty of software being made for Macs but occasionally you do need to run something that you can only find for Windows, however if you search hard enough, there will almost always be an alternative Mac version that does the same thing.
lol, I am a mac user. Hence the basis fo my argument.

I was issued a mac laptop at work, which you had to admit is a very novel idea.

I was reading a while back that IBM are evaluating switching from PC's to Mac's due to them being less prone to security issues and widely used in the academic world.

Me personally use just about anything I can get my hands, got a mac mini with is just storing all my music, couple of laptops running XP which the kids use, At home I use XP most of the time but mainly for downloading from newsgroups and encoding movies plus to vpn into work but have also starting using ubuntu quite a bit now as it seems to run a lot quicker than xp on my pc. At work it's HP-UX, ubuntu & XP.

Hello guys, whats the bes/popular Lunux OS out there?? and whats the latest one??

a very popular linux is Ubuntu. You will find it hard to get the definition of the "best" everyone has their favourites.

thanks for the reply karym6, but if i ask you whats the most widley used Linux based OS atm??

THink Tony already answerd my question:) thnks guys

thanks for the reply karym6, but if i ask you whats the most widley used Linux based OS atm??
it largely depends on what you want to do with it. If you want a rock solid server, you might want to look at CentOS.

If you want a good desktop, then Ubuntu or Kubuntu (they are very popular).

If you want to maintain a set of recovery tools, then you can use Linux for this also.

Most distros offer a live spin that let you try it out first. Failing that, you can use VMWare player with one of the free Linux images from their site.

Also, Tony has merely repeated the same thing I posted.

Also, Tony has merely repeated the same thing I posted.

or maybe I was just merely agreeing with you, again I just gave my opinion on this topic but you also find a way to have a fcuking dig, well keeping digging pal. Have you nothing better to do than just pick arguments all the time you sad cnut

Thanks for the info karym6, 'm dloading Ubunto atm.. would you install it on the same partion or rather 've a diff partion for Linux (if install it on the same pc as xp)

Opps guys take it easy....

I am taken it easy just this guy always likes to get a dig in for some reason

anyway I installed mine on the same partition, or you can just boot off the dvd and run it from there to begin with to see if you like it before installing on the hdd

cool, thanks for the help guys, will give it a try this eve... in the meantime 'm sorry if i cause a friction between you two...

there is no friction.

If you want to take a look at linux, then I can strongly recommend VMWare. It will let you play around with it without having to install it.

soz fella, but my point was why do we need so much speed?

and TBH win2000 was way faster than either xp or vista

To be able to run video games smoothly along side all the other software that most users usually have running on boot up such as virus scanners, firewalls, MSN etc. is one of the main points for a fast machine.

Who wants to be trying to free up resources to be able to do that? Amongst other things.

Win 2000 wasn't geared or marketed so heavily to the home market though. The same can be said for Windows 98 but Windows 98 isn't exactly a better OS than XP....

To be able to run video games smoothly along side all the other software that most users usually have running on boot up such as virus scanners, firewalls, MSN etc. is one of the main points for a fast machine.

Who wants to be trying to free up resources to be able to do that? Amongst other things.

Win 2000 wasn't geared or marketed so heavily to the home market though. The same can be said for Windows 98 but Windows 98 isn't exactly a better OS than XP....

how the hell do you need a fast PC for any of those apps?

well, a firewall is pretty resource hungry, as is AV (especially if you use Norton).

Things like Office can be pretty intensive also.

However, not sure about video games being on that list. Isnt all the work there being done by the graphics adapter?

Back