Votes: 22 16.9%
  • Windows Vista 64

Votes: 14 10.8%
  • Linux

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • Other OS

Votes: 6 4.6%

• Total voters
I ended up doing a dual boot with Vista 64 and XP Pro SP3. I'm mainly concerned with hard drive performance and XP proved to be around 10-20% faster for read and access. I'll try some encoding jobs later tonight but Vista seems slow compared to XP.

Is it me or is Vista very frustrating to use. Every every click the OS keeps prompting you asking you if you are sure that you would like to carry out that operation. Vista feels like an OS for total noobs. Hopefully my thought will change on this after some more playing around.

Server 2008 testing to follow.

happy with xp student edition ..not got the hang of vista yet ..its ok but slower than xp

Got XP Pro Student Edition on 2 pcs, and a laptop, and vista home premium on another laptop.

I can safely say Vista is shite.

Too much interference, resources being over used for naff eye candy, and it still has compatibility issues.

Been using dual boot XP/ Vista for a while, but I much prefer XP for how I don't know, probaly till the updates finish, then move on to Vista.

Got XP Pro Student Edition on 2 pcs, and a laptop, and vista home premium on another laptop.

I can safely say Vista is shite.

Too much interference, resources being over used for naff eye candy, and it still has compatibility issues.

I had you down for using one of these ;)

ctyp2.jpg

I run Linux and Windows XP.

Linux is a lot less heavy on system resources and does as much as Windows with all the eye candy of Vista without the system performance issues. You may find you want to use Windows for video encoding though as you just get a better choice of software (I always guess Windows on a VM in Linux could do the same job though?). I'm not too sure what video software is available for Linux.

For the rest of your requirements, Linux more than fits the bill.

duo and quad core processors are the norm these days, so is 2gb+ of RAM. that it what vista was designed for.

what are you people doing with these machines to have the compulsive need to be so concerned about resources? particle physics.

Is it me or is Vista very frustrating to use. Every every click the OS keeps prompting you asking you if you are sure that you would like to carry out that operation.

Just turn of UAC m8 then the annoying prompts will go away.

Been using XP on spare PC's Vista on my new one and even tried to get to grips with Linux. I recon XP will end up being my favorite choice as I am used to it.

DD.

what are all you XP fanboys going to do next year when you will be two versions of Windows out of date?

Think of the shock you will all go through when you need to use something new and different!!! I can barely contain myself.

duo and quad core processors are the norm these days, so is 2gb+ of RAM. that it what vista was designed for.

what are you people doing with these machines to have the compulsive need to be so concerned about resources? particle physics.

Because some of us can't afford to update our machines each time a new faster processor comes along.

It means new motherboard and all too and possibly new RAM depending on your system. I'm still quite happily running a single core 2.8GHz Pentium IV that came out about 5 years ago on my desktop and a single core 2GHz AMD Turion on my laptop.

Both fulfil my needs but neither are that capable of running Vista that well.

Why move to a faster machine anyway when most of it's resources are taken up by Vista anyway when you could get more out of it from XP? I know which I'd prefer to use. XP is one of the best Microsoft operating systems going at the moment IMO.

centos is a really nice linux build.

Life without rsync - what was i thinking lol.

Regards
Mickie D

Just turn of UAC m8 then the annoying prompts will go away.

Thanks for the tip. I'll do a quick search for UAC and then turn it off pronto. Vista has one thing going for it though, internet browsing seems to be faster with quicker page loads.

Because some of us can't afford to update our machines each time a new faster processor comes along.

It means new motherboard and all too and possibly new RAM depending on your system. I'm still quite happily running a single core 2.8GHz Pentium IV that came out about 5 years ago on my desktop and a single core 2GHz AMD Turion on my laptop.

Why move to a faster machine anyway when most of it's resources are taken up by Vista anyway when you could get more out of it from XP? I know which I'd prefer to use. XP is one of the best Microsoft operating systems going at the moment IMO.

couldn't agree with you more mate

Xp is by far the better OS m$ has ever produced

they cant afford to let xp die becuase so much of the market uses xp

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

soz fella, but my point was why do we need so much speed?

and TBH win2000 was way faster than either xp or vista

Maybe, but Win2k felt as clunky as a Lada Riva...! ;)

win2k and vista were pretty much the same product. Vista is essentialy an update to XP with a new gui and structure, so why wouldnt you like to use Vista over XP?

MS will shortly stop supporting it, and when Windows 7 comes out they will completely drop support for it.

Back