Which Laptop?

Dazza

Inactive User
Reaction score
Looking at a lappy for myself... (Inherited a small amount of money.)

What do you think of these...? I'd like the best I can get for my loot...

*Cashback until Feb 28th* HP 6730S Core 2 Duo T5870 2.0GHz, 160GB HDD, 2GB RAM, 15.4" TFT, DVDRW, Vista Business/XP Pro - Ebuyer

Toshiba Satellite Pro S300 Laptop - Laptops at Ebuyer

Acer Aspire 5735 Laptop - Laptops at Ebuyer

Acer Travelmate 5730 Laptop - Laptops at Ebuyer

I don't want a bigger screen, 17" is too big for where it has to live, 15" only please.

Anybody know any better ones for £500 or under, must have N-Draft, reasonable GFX if poss, and bluetooth would be nice, but not necessary as I have a USB Dongle for it. Also a decent webcam too, prefer at least 1.3mp, though will sacrifice if the rest of the lappy is the bees knees...! :)

Ta for any advice.

PS. Posted here as it's more likely to get a broader response, hope that's ok!!!

Check out the Dell range, look for the clearance offers, always a bargain there.

Had my Dell for 2 years (Latitude D820) and been best I have had, previously I used an Acer (pants...), IBM (solid but uninspiring), Fujitsu Siemens (awful), HP (overrated) and Sony (good but pricey).

Check out the Dell range, look for the clearance offers, always a bargain there.

Had my Dell for 2 years (Latitude D820) and been best I have had, previously I used an Acer (pants...), IBM (solid but uninspiring), Fujitsu Siemens (awful), HP (overrated) and Sony (good but pricey).

My mate bought a Dell Studio a couple weeks ago or so, the sound on it was piss poor. He called me over 'cos he though something was wrong with it, there wasn't, it was just utter pish! He sent it back, even though it cost him £20 to do so. (He spent £550 on it IIRC)

i like the toshiba....you maybe able to get it cheaper if you google'd it.

also if you have one of them cards where you pay a fee (like Barclays - cheapest is £3) you can pay using that card and then register you laptop with them to get a years extended warranty 92 years in total - 1st years manufacturers warranty and 2nd year through the bank (third party insuranace cpmpany)

i like the toshiba....you maybe able to get it cheaper if you google'd it.

also if you have one of them cards where you pay a fee (like Barclays - cheapest is £3) you can pay using that card and then register you laptop with them to get a years extended warranty 92 years in total - 1st years manufacturers warranty and 2nd year through the bank (third party insuranace cpmpany)

Thanks Killer, any specific reason why the Tosh...?

I would go for the Argos one, the £50 is worth is for the more RAM and hdd space. Though there is a trade off with battery life, so it's up to you.

Hi , my current laptop is an HP and the one thing that I love about it is the speakers are supereb (Altec ones).

I am not sure if they are a common feature across the range but as I watch films and stuff on mine I do like decent sound quality.

Although my next one is going to be a Vaio it is not through choice and I would go for the Toshiba or HP pal.

:)

Messa

Hi , my current laptop is an HP and the one thing that I love about it is the speakers are supereb (Altec ones).

I am not sure if they are a common feature across the range but as I watch films and stuff on mine I do like decent sound quality.

Although my next one is going to be a Vaio it is not through choice and I would go for the Toshiba or HP pal.

:)

Messa

Cheers Messa mate, yes I've heard this before about HP lappys and their good sound quality. It's something that concerns me, and does make me lean towards the HP. My mate bought a brand new Dell Studio a little while ago, and the sound on that was so poor he sent it back after 3 days...! (Even happy to pay the £20 Dell charged him to send it back, despite spending over £530 on the thing!!!)

Bought a compaq pressario (Hp) today 2 gig dual core nvidia graphics 3 gig ram 160 gig hdd drive hdmi out put 5 in 1 card reader. £399 currys. also has altec lansing speakers

Bought a compaq pressario (Hp) today 2 gig dual core nvidia graphics 3 gig ram 160 gig hdd drive hdmi out put 5 in 1 card reader. £399 currys. also has altec lansing speakers

Got a link mate please...?

hey Dazza, sorry for late reply....

i like toshiba's for their reliability and slick design + having spoken to a few people (IT support guys) both Tosh and HP were getting very positive feedback.

i bought the Toshiba u400-124 (refurb) recently from Dixons...its a really nice machine.

hope this helps mate

hey Dazza, sorry for late reply....

i like toshiba's for their reliability and slick design + having spoken to a few people (IT support guys) both Tosh and HP were getting very positive feedback.

i bought the Toshiba u400-124 (refurb) recently from Dixons...its a really nice machine.

hope this helps mate

Thanks for that. As it happens I was trawling the net today, and even popped up to PCW and Currys today once I took the lad to school, and I've narrowed it down to the HP or Tosh... (And I found an Asus that had a very good spec, but I know feck all about Asus laptops...???)

What is the sound quality like on the Tosh, give me an honest assessment please...

I really want N-Draft, and will sacrifice the webcam quality and other bits, if needs be. I've found a couple of real possibilities on Ebuyer I think...

Ta again.

And if anybody has experience of Asus laptops, tell me about them...!

Back