Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

which is best newsgroup ?

ye done all that m8 connect is just idle
ive logged into giganews site i can log on ok but done a speed trace route and that failed yet im surfing fine
i have no firewall im on the verge of canceling this cant be bothered

Nooo.. lol. Don't cancel... you're first 3 days are free anyway lol. Once you've sorted this little hitch m8 you will never look back... trust me.

Heres a quick copy and paste from the Giganews faqs... you may have already read them but incase you haven't just clarify everything...

How quickly after I sign up, can I start using Giganews Usenet?
Once you complete the signup process an email will be sent to the email address provided during the signup process which will contain your new Giganews username and password. There can sometimes be a delay of up to an hour for the email to be delivered depending on your email provider, so be patient.

If your email provider supports any kind of spam filtering on your incoming email, please be certain that this is configured to allow mail from the giganews.com domain, to ensure delivery of your startup information and other notices from Giganews.

How soon is Giganews service available after signing up?
Giganews accounts are usually available for use by the member within 30 minutes of signup. Please note that you must receive your activation email prior to using the Giganews service. If you have not received your activation email, please contact Giganews support at http://www.giganews.com/contact.html

How do I get my username and password after signing up?
Once you complete the signup process, an email will be sent to the address provided during the signup process that will contain your new Giganews account user name and password. There can sometimes be a delay of up to an hour for the your startup email to be delivered.

It is extremely important that the email address you supply us with is a permanent email address, as we may direct some email correspondence to this address in the course of member support.

Please make sure to check your email anti-spam settings so that "giganews.com" is in your allowed list.

How does the free trial work and how can I sign up?
During the 3-day trial period, you will given 10GB of full speed downloadable bandwidth, and have complete access to any of the newsgroups and articles available on the Giganews servers. Any headers downloaded during the trial period will not count against your 10GB trial limit, and only full service Giganews members are permitted to post messages and articles. You can sign up at https://secure.giganews.com/signup/.

A trial membership account will allow you 10GB of download bandwidth during the course of your 3 day trial period. Your 3 day trial membership is risk free, and your credit card will not be billed during the trial. Once your trial period has expired, your card will be billed for the Giganews plan that you chose for yourself during the sign up process. You will have full access to Usenet through your Giganews account, limited only by the parameters of the plan you have chosen.

You are welcome to change your plan and update any of your information at any time after the trial period by accessing your Giganews account through your personal control panel, also located at www.giganews.com.

If you do not want to be billed, simply cancel your Giganews account manually while your trial period is still in effect by accessing your trial account through your personal control panel, by logging in at www.giganews.com. If you do not manually cancel your Giganews account before the end of your trial period, and in accordance with the terms and conditions that are found on our website, your card will be billed and your account will switch from a trial based membership to a fully active membership.

This offer is available only once per member.

I can test it for you if you like... you can pm me your username and password and then just go back in yourself afterwards and change your password :) ... or change your password to a test one first and then change it back to your usuall one thereafter...its up to you mate lol.

u have got a nzb in there havent u m8 ?

Good point lol...

Last edited:
put it this way ive put my server and password and user id in from newsrover and newsleecher still not having it if i tell it to get newsgroups nothing happens just says im offline

u arent with tiscali by any chance are u ? my m8 cant connect to giganews till 1 am & he changed ports & everything

cheers m8 orted speed just upped it to 20 instead of 3 now downloads fine

Sweet... nice one... glad you're sorted. If you need any help with grabit at any point then just give us a shout mate... I know what its like when you change over from using something that you're used to seeing/using and then all of a sudden you're seeing/using something different... it does take a little getting used too but once you've got used to it it all becomes just as familiar as the one you had not long said goodbye too lol...

Come to think of it I should practice what I preach lol... I'm actually still using grabit 6.2... upgraded but couldnt get used to the different interface so went back to 6.2 lol... hey ho!!

Nice to hear you say that mate.... I thought I was the only one who found Grabit the muts nuts lol. Very friendly user interface and very straight forward and easy to use. :)

alt.binz is another free newsreader, easy to use, auto unrars, fixes broken files itself etc.. very good, best ive used!

www.powerusenet.com is a giganews reseller, the retention is 100 days, not quite giganews' 200 days, but it's only $15/month, which is pretty cheap. Just switched to them from newshosting as they've been getting worse and worse recently in terms of speed. Almost always get 2.38MB/s down.

yes it is mate... actually doesnt look like a bad deal at all... only real differences I could spot was the retention being less as mentioned and you get 12 connections instead of 20 that you get with Giganews. Other than that looks spot on mate.... I'm staying put though ;) lol

p.s... how you finding Giganews and Grabit now you've ironed out the creases mate?

Yea it is unlimited. The only issue I think I might have is when we eventually get 50 meg, I might have to shell out the extra $5 a month for 12 connections, but we'll see.

Back