Which (inexpensive) PVR sat receivers do timeshift?

hibou

Inactive User
Reaction score
A PVR recorder might be expected to have a "timeshift" mode where you can press the "pause" button and come back a while later and press "resume". This is done by recording the viewed emission and displaying this recording with a certain delay. In fact you could even do this with a little internal memory, which is cheap these days. Timeshift looks like a useful feature that should not cost much to implement in a PVR receiver design.

So which (inexpensive) PVR satellite receivers do timeshift? The Technomate http://www.technomate.com/ says that the TM-6800/TM-6900 do timeshift but imply that the TM-5200D does not, even though in both cases the hard disk is an external USB2 option.

Can the TM-5200D be set to timeshift, or are there less expensive alternatives to the TM-6800 ?

the 6800 is due to drop in price m8, DONT buy one yet, its basicly a 5400 (5200 with cam slot and card reader) with an mpeg4 chip and HDMI output, and an extra £180 on the price tag for it. No matter WHAT darkman and the others on that site say, they are going to drop

ill play with a 5200 and let you know how it deals with time-shift later this evening

Thanks Digidude. The TM-6800 does seem expensive given that there is not much HD available yet. My son tells me that "I should get a HD receiver now, with a Euro1080 official subscription card, to get free access to HD1 HD2 and HD3 at 23.5 East until the year 2010 as well as BBC HD on 28.2 East". But these cards are an extra 100 quid and I don't always do what he says:) And maybe I'm getting too old to appreciate the HD advantage, just like I don't need real HiFi any more :)

I would be interested if you find that the TM-5200 can timeshift or not. I understand from your previous posts that the USB2 socket is on the front (under a flap?) which is less convenient, but that you can hack it to output to the back.

i havent gotten round to this yet m8, but the USB socket can be relocated to the rear of the reciever (which technomate are working on for the next batch ;)) and the hack for this is a real physical hack, with a small drill, snips and a needle file lol, the internal cable is long enough to re-route the socket, the one i have here has even been 'pimped' with hyper bright blue LEDs lol (sad aint i)

Back