which graphics card?

benny hill squad

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi, im looking for a graphics card with a dvi port so i can watch downloaded blu ray and hd on my lcd hd without losing resolution, i only have currently s-video and its not great. the graphics card i have is nvidia g-force fx about 4 years old. can anyone recomend a good bargain card? i only want it for watching blu ray, dvd and hd, not for games thanks.

what hd lcd have you got - isn't there a vga connector?
some but not all lcds allow you to run the panel at its native res via vga (1368x768). saves on buying a graphics card.

Are you sure it does not have a PC input on the side of the tv? It may have a VGA connection.

How are you planning on connecting as DVI does not carry sound. Does the tv have a DVI connection or just HDMI? If it's HDMI you will need a convertor as the card only has DVI and VGA.

You will also need some kind of sound output to your tv, unless your using the sound from the PC.

Are you sure it does not have a PC input on the side of the tv? It may have a VGA connection.
How are you planning on connecting as DVI does not carry sound. Does the tv have a DVI connection or just HDMI? If it's HDMI you will need a convertor as the card only has DVI and VGA.
You will also need some kind of sound output to your tv, unless your using the sound from the PC.

it definetly hasnt got vga or dvi on lcd tv but has hdmi port, i was planning getting a dvi to hdmi cable to run from dvi port on graphics card to hdmi port on lcd tv, i didnt know theres no audio, also i found something out my motherboard says AGP1 at the graphics card slot and im not sure if its too old or not, can someone please help? good job as i was gonna get a graphics card today.

AGP1 is fine mate, any AGP graphics card will fit in there.

And yup, you will need some kind of audio connection from your PC to your tv if you want the sound to come through the tv. HDMI carries sound but seeing as your using a DVI connection on one side and then a convertor I am almost certain you will need a seperate audio connection. (Don't hold me on that one though as I have never actually done it).

Or if you have a surround sound system then just connect that to your PC.

In fact I will do a quick Google for you and see what I can dig up regarding audio to your tv.

thanks mate, whats the difference between agp1 and agp 8x or 16 x? i looked on gecube website and it says System Requirements

Radeon® HD2400 AGP series of products do not requires connection to your PC's internal power supply for operation. Consult your system builder or OEM to ensure your system has an adequate power supply. Otherwise, ATI recommends a 300-Watt power supply or greater to ensure normal system operation where a number of other internal devices are installed.
Intel® Pentium® 4, AMD® Athlon® or higher with AGP 8X (0.8v), or Universal AGP 3.0 bus configuration (8X)
256MB or above of system memory
Installation software requires CD-ROM drive
DVD playback requires DVD drive.
AGP 8x Motherboard with Audio integrated or on Audio card support.
●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●
Operating Systems Support
1.Windows XP
2.Windows XP x64 Edition
3.Windows Media Center Edition 2005
4.Windows Vista

i am running windows xp with celeron 2.4 ghz, 512 ram, do i need to upgrade anything memorywise etc.? im a bit confused about it saying agp x8 as a requirement aswell.

Don't worry mate, that card will fit perfect.

The term AGP 4X and AGP 8X is how fast the data travels to the card from the slot.

Another example is the new PCI-express slots, these are called 16X.

I would be almost 100% certain that yours will be 8X, as for you refering to your AGP as AGP1, wherever you got the info from it is probably saying that it has 1 AGP slot.

Hope this helps.

AGP1 is the slot address not the slot speed.

There is no AGP x16, the highest they go to is x8. If you see an x16 card it will be a PCI-e card and it won't fit your motherboard.

3 questions:
  1. Who makes your mobo and what is the model number? This will tell us the maximum AGP speed supported (don't want to advise a card that only works in an 8x slot if you can only support 4x).
  2. What is the model number of your TV? I'll try to find a manual to see the best connectivity option image and audio wise.
  3. Are you after a full height graphics card or do you need a low profile one? If you're using a normal size case you can use either, but a low profile/media case may need a half-height graphics card.

AGP1 is the slot address not the slot speed.
There is no AGP x16, the highest they go to is x8. If you see an x16 card it will be a PCI-e card and it won't fit your motherboard.
3 questions:
  1. Who makes your mobo and what is the model number? This will tell us the maximum AGP speed supported (don't want to advise a card that only works in an 8x slot if you can only support 4x).
  2. What is the model number of your TV? I'll try to find a manual to see the best connectivity option image and audio wise.
  3. Are you after a full height graphics card or do you need a low profile one? If you're using a normal size case you can use either, but a low profile/media case may need a half-height graphics card.

ok the motherboard is micro star MS-6787 VER:2
the lcd model number is panasonic TX-32LXD60
im using a full sized tower. thanks

ok if its not 8x for the graphics card im considering just buying a motherboard and 2gb memory to go with the graphics card, ive put a picture of inside pc to see how much room ive got etc. is it straight forward to change motherboard if i have to? and anyone know a good bundle deal for motherboard and memory? thanks. forgot to add i want to keep my celeron 2.4ghz pcu, so a board that supports that.

Last edited:
Right you have a 4X board mate, didn't realise your system was that old.

90% of 8X cards work on 4X boards, I think your board will pump 1,5v through the AGP slot where as 8x cards use .8v, not a problem though as the card will handle 1.5v without any problems.

Some people in the past have had issues where their 8x card does not work on their 4x board, but these are few and far between.

If I were you I would purchase the card and try it, keep the box and everything neat and tidy. If you have a problem then just box it up and RMA it while ordering a new board. If it works then you have got a result via the cheapest option.

If it does not work then return it and ask them to add the cost to your new order, then order a new motherboard with PCI-express slot. (That is if they do them in socket 478), and also get a PCI-express card.

But if it were me buying I would try this card first and take the gamble, after all your in a no lose situation as you can return it at their cost.

ok ill order the card, what should i say reason for returning it? also when and if i need a motherboard do i have to install windows again etc?

You are going to have trouble finding a 478 board full stop, never mind one with 8X AGP or PCI-express.

I suggest trying that card first and see how it goes, if no luck then return it and upgrade your processor, motherboard, ram and card all in one go. You can get a decent setup for about £100-£120 max.

Then sell your current parts to cover some of the cost.

You will have to format your hard drive and reinstall everything when you get your new stuff (that is if the card does not work), otherwise everything will conflict. Other than that it is a piece of cake building your own.

Back