Which Digital Camera?

hightower

Inactive User
Reaction score
It's the missuses birthday this week and she's been hinting at a new digital camera. Hating camera's, I don't have a clue what to go for (except it must be rechargable instead of using AA batteries). It doesn't have to be the best camera as it's just meant to be used for girls nights out etc.

In fact, I'm gonna lay down a budget of say £70 tops. My dad and brother both have a Kodak M23 which seems pretty decent, but thought I'd ask for opinion and recommendations on here first.

Thanks,

Girls' nights out implies low light levels? In which case I'd recommend a Sony CyberShot over a Panasonic Lumix. The newer Sony cameras will also take HCSD cards, so you're not forced to buy the overpriced MemoryStick cards. You can get one with Carl Zeiss optics for around £100.

If this will double up as the holiday camera then the Panasonics generally give the better daylight images. But they are developing a rep across the range for dust getting inside the lens, especially when used without a camera case.

Girls' nights out implies low light levels? In which case I'd recommend a Sony CyberShot over a Panasonic Lumix. The newer Sony cameras will also take HCSD cards, so you're not forced to buy the overpriced MemoryStick cards. You can get one with Carl Zeiss optics for around £100.

If this will double up as the holiday camera then the Panasonics generally give the better daylight images. But they are developing a rep across the range for dust getting inside the lens, especially when used without a camera case.

I would agree with that. The sonys outperform in low light conditions and I got dust on my lumix ccd and had to upgrade to the DMCF37 recently. I love the image of lumix in all other light conditions though and the optical image stabiliser works very well indeed.

a good rule of thumb if you are looking at low light shooting is a sony with as lower megapixel rating as you can get to reduce processing noise

Back