When going to work

Erbs

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
What started out as a simple discussion with the good lady indoors about how people get to work

I'm self employed and i submit my fuel at the end of the year to the accountant and that is taken into consideration with my tax

My missus thinks that if you are PAYE and work for a company that the government should pay for your travel to get to work be it car or public transport

Me i think if you don't earn great deal of money every week and you have to pay for travel then thats your problem not the governments

She thinks that the government foots your travel bill because your in a low paid job

In my mind if you got a low paid job then its no ones fault but your own and i don't think the Government should subsidise your means to get to work

But she swears blind that its the Govs responsibility

Women Eh???

In my mind if you got a low paid job then its no ones fault but your own and i don't think the Government should subsidise your means to get to work

Women Eh???

We didn't choose to be in low paid jobs so why should we be punished for it yes true the Government should not subsidise your means to get to work. But just remember if and when we can no longer afford to get to work due to high inflation costs, then who are going to line this Governments pathetic pockets with gold.

We didn't choose to be in low paid jobs so why should we be punished for it yes true the Government should not subsidise your means to get to work. But just remember if and when we can no longer afford to get to work due to high inflation costs, then who are going to line this Governments pathetic pockets with gold.

Everybody has a choice, so yes you chose to be in the low paid job. If you didnt choose to be in that job, that means you were forced into it, and I'm not sure but I think thats slavery ;)

Even minimum wage is in line with the cost of living, I just think people lose track of that. I know fuel has gone up, shopping has gone up, energy has gone up, but how often do you hear people say I can no longer afford to go to work (yet they have a top of the range mobile on a contract (not a necessity) watch satellite tv on their 40 inch flat screen ( neither a necessity) and they smlke 40 a day, and drink 4-6 cans every evening :)

I'm not accusing you of being like that miggy, It's just a common occurence across the country :)

Everybody has a choice, so yes you chose to be in the low paid job. If you didnt choose to be in that job, that means you were forced into it, and I'm not sure but I think thats slavery ;)

Even minimum wage is in line with the cost of living, I just think people lose track of that. I know fuel has gone up, shopping has gone up, energy has gone up, but how often do you hear people say I can no longer afford to go to work (yet they have a top of the range mobile on a contract (not a necessity) watch satellite tv on their 40 inch flat screen ( neither a necessity) and they smlke 40 a day, and drink 4-6 cans every evening :)

I'm not accusing you of being like that miggy, It's just a common occurence across the country :)

I am very happy to hear you are not accusing me Busta. We cannot automatically pick a high paid managers job can we? we have to take what is given to us its called survival?.The national average wage goes up very slightly but the cost of living has rocketed.It won't be long before we are living back in the past. No money, no future, and no hope and that is just wrong.I know what you are saying about satellite,mobile phones and smoking 40 a day.While these people are living there life of luxury we have to struggle but society has made them that way.

<snip>

I'm self employed and i submit my fuel at the end of the year to the accountant and that is taken into consideration with my tax

<snip>
I don't do petrol I claim for each mile my accountant says that is more lucrative

The amounts to use are:
• car or van 40 pence a mile for the first 10,000 miles (45p next year)
25 pence a mile thereafter
• motorcycle 24 pence a mile
• cycle 20 pence a mile.

I can't believe you can claim for a push bike.
HM Revenue & Customs: Tax allowances and reliefs if you're self-employed
I record my mileage everyday with the postcode(s) I have been to.

This has to cover the cost of maintenance as well.
You can claim if your paye and work in different locations (ie a temp with an agency)
As a self employed person you can't claim if your workplace is static ie you run a shop but you can claim for going from the shop to say the wholesalers but not the journey to and from work.
It's not your tax type it's if your place of work is static or not.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/paye/exb/a-z/m/mileage-expenses.htm

Last edited:
No you can't pick a high paid job but you can go to college or uni to get near where you want to be in life, i had to pay all my tuition fees and i never once thought it was the Govs responsibility to get me where i want to be

No you can't pick a high paid job but you can go to college or uni to get near where you want to be in life, i had to pay all my tuition fees and i never once thought it was the Govs responsibility to get me where i want to be

College or Uni is not always an option m8,plus in this economic climate theres plenty of colleges graduates having to work in low paid jobs,

But I would agree its not the Governments responsibility to get you to work.

Erbs what we have is a nation of over qualified students at the end of the day. I am not saying its a waste of time studying because its not. Sooner or later they will hopefully get jobs. At this present time this Government is not helping the matter instead of helping firms stay in business they are shutting them down through greedy council tax rates ect. Learning at college does not guarantee you a job at the top, you have to work your way up once you have started in full time employment.

i went to college to study for my ACS for gas and i'm now a gas safe engineer and i work for myself and i had no help from anybody, it will never be a high paid job but it pays the bills

At the end of the day my dad said to me you should do a job that everyone needs and i thought that we all need hot water and heating and generally no one can live with out

I worked my ballocks off to get where I am, started in a low/reasonable semi-skilled role. Served my time, got head hunted, and worked my way up the organisation.

Personally I think its all down to aptitude, if you want it and work at it, you will get it. A lot of people think they are doing the company a favour by working for them, in fact the only reason you are in a job is to allow the company to make money.
Far too many people just go through the motions, of turning up everyday, I have seen many companys fold because the employees do not pull their weight, as all they do is go through the motions. Its not until they are made redundant do they realise how easy and lucky the were and wonder what would have happened if they only worked that little bit harder.
I digressed there but thats what I see.

I have interviewed hundreds of people in my time and the worst of them are the ones who have great big degrees thinking they deserve everything under the sun yet have no degree of common sense.
Like MH, i worked my arse off, started from working in a market stall selling cheap chinese knock offs lol. (that was the best job i ever had lol)
I love what i do, do a job what was my hobby.
there is nothing stopping anyone in the world doing what they want to do apart from themselves and no thats not just an easy comment to make.
nobody owes anyone a living. forgetting about me, my local binmen, the street cleaners, the security lady, i love them to bits. they love doing their job and they do it with a smile. i dont see them as any lower or higher than me. every morning on the way to work i have a chat with them.

i see a lot of people on here, every single one (maybe sometimes a bit drunk lol) but everyone has a talent. nothing stopping anyone turning that talent into a successful business. most of you guys are outsmarting multi billion pound companies for god sake.

i went to college to study for my ACS for gas and i'm now a gas safe engineer and i work for myself and i had no help from anybody, it will never be a high paid job but it pays the bills

At the end of the day my dad said to me you should do a job that everyone needs and i thought that we all need hot water and heating and generally no one can live with out

I would love to meet your dad that was really good advice he gave you, well done to your dad and congratulations to you for sticking at your job.:Clap:

Back