Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Whats your earliest memory of the Cinema

Earliest memory was dad dropping me off on saturday mornings at Lincoln Odeon for the same as most others (lassie, black beauty and cartoons).

Best memory is same cinema to watch a Star Trek Fest, we went in and watched all 4 films back to back, i'd have only been about 12, but happy days, I did the same for the first three Star Wars as well :)

Funny thing now is the Odeon is now the local Wetherspoons, but the cinema is still complete behind the facade of the pub, behind the kitchen there are still seats and screen and such.

Queuing for about a mile to go see Ghostbusters in our local Cinema which still stands, used to have two but one was demolished.

The building is awesome and, big art-deco covered white marble, so much character.

Hate to see it demolished but no doubt it will....

Funny thing now is the Odeon is now the local Wetherspoons, but the cinema is still complete behind the facade of the pub, behind the kitchen there are still seats and screen and such.

You'd be amazed how many old cinemas, and theatres too, still survive like that.
It makes them ripe for restoration projects in the future.

Last edited:
I guess companies like Wetherspoons know that as well, just in case the pub fails, they have a back up plan to sell it on.

Lol.....

We went to see Grease about 8 times, Jaws 4 times and The spy who loved me 2 or 3 times.

It was the normal thing to do back then, it wasn't extortionate to get in like it is now.

I remember going to see Earthquake while on holiday in Edinburgh (Yes, I know! From Dundee and holidaying in Edinburgh......We were skint ok!) Anyway, my dad had me and my sister all wound up that Edinburgh had been flattened during the film, I can remember running to the door and thinking.......'Dad, you lying barsteward'

cliff do they have picture halls up ur way.
i bet there still showing rocky 1.
and a guy plays a bango before it starts.lol

cliff do they have picture halls up ur way.
i bet there still showing rocky 1.
and a guy plays a bango before it starts.lol

No John! But I think the Rep theatre is showing Rocky III ;) They done away with the banjo player and now have a true Scotsman that will do a handstand and whistle Dixie for loose change! :)

Saturday morning show in the mid 1970's :)

The three major cinemas in Dundee (ABC, Odean & Victoria) :)

haha as stupid as this sounds but i never really went to pictures when i was little but when i was 11 i didnt have an option as the ABC u were on about clive i was with a couple pals in commercial street (which is just round the corner from there as u know) well the sega mega drive 2 had just come out and there was a computer shop down commercial street and in there was a brand new sega mega drive 2 in a glass cabinet so we wanted it. so we run and booted it off the wall in the shop and grabbed it and run away and ended up on they roofs which are high as and by this time the police were all over the police as we were lookin down.. so the ABC was just across the round so lucky enough i had got some pocket money that day so i ditched my mates and run into there and watched sister act2 and by the time that finisheds it was dark lol. that was one off the first films i can remember watchin. im sure i went to the victora road one and saw a cartoon called basil the great mouse detective but i was just a kid at god knows what age.

For me, Saturday Morning Kids club. Parents could dump the kids for 2-3 hours whilst they did the shopping etc. Cost 2 bob for an episode of Flash Gordan plus a film.

Ma earliest film was a double bill in the ABC in Glasgow and it was Gregorys Girl and Rising Damp, also watched Hooper twice in the good old days when you could hide and watch the film twice.:proud:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDaPc0dPEdM[/ame]

Last edited:
I can't remember ever having to hide. Cinemas were BIG in those days.

I often sat through a film twice if I enjoyed it.

Aye it was great fun seeing it twice, It always seemed better the 2nd time around for some reason.lol

Great thread jaffa, my earliest memory was going to see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, on a saturday morning with my dad and brother, and absolutely shitting myself at the childcatcher character, I had nightmares for days, we were allowed 10p each for sweets, dad was a tight git lol.

nara did you used to get in for a jamjar in your day, I remember my Granny saying something about that. :Laugh:

:Cheers:

nara did you used to get in for a jamjar in your day, I remember my Granny saying something about that. :Laugh:

:Cheers:

Lo, not quite. Ninepence for the front stalls. A shilling for the back stalls. Can't remember what the circle cost. It was outside my budget anyway.

The first memory I have at the cinema is not of watching a film.

I remember being very young, and climbing up the ubiquitous red carpet stairs and seeing a poster for 'Deer Hunter'.

The image stuck with me throughout my childhood.

the_deer_hunter_poster.jpg

I probably watched a Disney film or something, but can not remember.

Going as a group of kids from the street, in the late 70's I think. Something to do with a dog, Beethoven type thing.

I do remember watching Clash of the Titans (1981) 3 times in one day. paid in the morning showing and stayed for the day.

if my aging memory serves me right I think it was towering inferno or if that was a re run it was Grease :err:

The Palace theatre, Newark 1964, 9 yrs old, a tanner to get in, flash gordon, westerns, childrens film foundation films, cartoons, kia ora from a plastic carton, box of poppets, ice cream tub in the interval and change from a shilling, getting a belt from the old man for standing, in my new duffel coat, under water pouring from the veranda while waiting to be picked up.
Then when moved to the big city ABC Minors

First I can really remeber is the Rescuers, Disny job, twas crap!

Clearly remmember the last film when we could smoke in the cineama (without getting chucked out!) was Rambo III. Where he takes out a helicopter with a tank. By driving into it. Beat that, Chuck Norris!

Back