whats this worth Asus laptop with smashed screen

jfish

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Value of this, it has a smashed screen

ASUS X52F-EX570V
Processor Intel® Core™ i3 Dual Core (370M, 3MB Cache, 2.4 GHz)
Screen 15.6" (ASUS Color-Shine, 1366x768, HD)
RAM 4GB
Hard Drive 500GB
Optical Drive DVD Rewriter (Records DVDs 8x & CDs 24x & Dual Layer Super Multi)
Intel® HD Graphics with up to 1274MB Shared Memory
Wireless LAN Wireless (802.11b/g/n Wireless)
10/100/1000 Gigabit Fast Ethernet
Integrated Webcam with Microphone
4-in-1 card reader (MS, MS Pro, MMC, SD)
3x USB 2.0 ports
1 External VGA Port
1 HDMI Connector

Originally cost approx £500 new. There are two 2nd hand on ebay with BIN prices of £350 and £385. New screen ~£40 (also ebay).

The question is are you buying or selling?

If buying, the parts value is probably in the region of £80-180, but if you're capable of changing the screen yourself anything less than £300 isn't really overpriced. If getting the local computer shop to replace the screen get a quote first, but don't expect much change from £100 (even if supplying the screen yourself) so wouldn't pay more than £250.

If selling, especially on ebay and gumtree I'd concider replacing the screen first. Otherwise you may only get the parts value.

[edit]
Just to add, if buying ask to see it running an external monitor first.

Last edited:
Well worth fixing given you could get a new screen for about £40 here.

As a non-worker - what someone is prepared to pay - I might hazard a guess you would get offered about £200.

Buying, friend of a family - brother dropped laptop - he has gone and bought a new HP one

may offer a cheeky £100 and get screen and fix it.

The casing round the screen is broken as well, large chip of corner where it was dropped and the internal sata connector is broken so wont recognise any hard disks.

will offer him 20 quid

Bezel probably won't be any more than a tenner, but the internal sata connection might mean an whole new motherboard, in which case given all the other factors probably isn't really worth it.

I've seen this model advertised new for £350.

Last edited:
The 500 GB SATA HDD and 2 x 2 GB RAM all fine as tested in another laptop.

It's quite an achivement to break the SATA connector. Laptop hard drives are generally screwed to the chassis (or a caddy, that is in turn screwed to the chassis) for the purpose of minimising stress on the connector.

Back