Whats this about the old ondigital boxes not being able to accept new software?

capt_marvel

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi guys, I've heard that when analogue is switched off, all freeview boxes will require a major software update and that the old ondigital boxes will not be upgraded! Anyone know if this is true? cheers

do the ondigital boxes still work??

sure i've got one up in the loft

You'll get all the freeview channels on them, but no software upgrades or epg.

if you live in the far outer reaches of England i.e. North East then we have until 2012 so I believe before we become modernised so to speak,so send your boxes up here

I dont know anything about this 'major software update', but ondigital boxes wont be getting any new software.

Some may also stop working if the transmittion changes from 2K to 8K, due to insufficient hardware.

yes Dos, that's it - you've knocked it on the head ...... apparently, they will all cease to work once the changeover is made to 8k (something about the proprietry system contained within the original ondigital boxes?).

The boxes are getting pretty cheap now though (seen em for £19.99) so even if you have to replace the Ondigi one its not gonna break the bank !

i still have my pioneer silver ondigi box in my lounge.

only cos i won't pay sly prices and can't get nthell in my area

i have 3 nokia ondigi boxes in the loft i got told last year that someone modded them to recive free top up channels but after 3 days of messing about i thought it was a myth freeview only if anyone needs one are think the can do out with them refund the postage and ill send em on.

I'm still using 2 nokia ondigital boxes. I hope they don't stop working cos they have a built in RF modulator and are so much easier to attach to anything short of scart sockets.
I also have 2 sagem boxes that have an RF modulator but they cause loads of interferance with my DVD recorder and my sky box where as the nokias don't.
I have my sky distributed to 5 TVs so anything connected through the RF has the potential to create inerferance and the sagems do it big style.

Still using old nokia without probs. I wonder if you could change the software through Libby.

i have 3 nokia ondigi boxes in the loft i got told last year that someone modded them to recive free top up channels but after 3 days of messing about i thought it was a myth freeview only if anyone needs one are think the can do out with them refund the postage and ill send em on.
How much would the postage be to cheshire?

Still using an old nokia box from ON dig without probs, i guess they will die eventually…:drink: :Cheers:

Still using old nokia without probs. I wonder if you could change the software through Libby.

you could put new software on the box but who would write it?The manufacturers would never develop software for what are effectively redundant boxes .

Back