VU+ Solo Vu Solo Clone - Want to make it work with 3TB External USB Drive

Arthur Daley

DW Regular
Reaction score
Some time ago, when I upgraded my Vu Solo clone to a Vu Solo2 clone I gave my old box to a mate. He has used it ever since with an old external 250GB hard drive I rigged up for him, without issue.

Anyway, now he wants more space so bought 3TB Seagate Expansion external usb drive and wants me to set it up for him.
First thing I did was use gparted boot cd to erase entire 3TB disk then partition it and format it to ext4. I have even initialised it on my solo2 clone and moved something I have already recorded onto it to test using his solo clone but to no avail. It sees the drive but will not mount it, and trying to initialise it using his box just results in errors followed by the dreaded revolving vix logo.
It would appear that it is a driver issue in the image but being a clone he cant use anything newer than what is on, namely openvix build 3.0 721, kernel 3.1.1.

Is it possible to update just the hard disk drivers for the image or will I have to buy this off of him (as not returnable to Argos under 30 day thingymebob)and tell him to get 1TB one instead?

Any pointers to try would be most welcome.

Some time ago, when I upgraded my Vu Solo clone to a Vu Solo2 clone I gave my old box to a mate. He has used it ever since with an old external 250GB hard drive I rigged up for him, without issue.

Anyway, now he wants more space so bought 3TB Seagate Expansion external usb drive and wants me to set it up for him.
First thing I did was use gparted boot cd to erase entire 3TB disk then partition it and format it to ext4. I have even initialised it on my solo2 clone and moved something I have already recorded onto it to test using his solo clone but to no avail. It sees the drive but will not mount it, and trying to initialise it using his box just results in errors followed by the dreaded revolving vix logo.
It would appear that it is a driver issue in the image but being a clone he cant use anything newer than what is on, namely openvix build 3.0 721, kernel 3.1.1.

Is it possible to update just the hard disk drivers for the image or will I have to buy this off of him (as not returnable to Argos under 30 day thingymebob)and tell him to get 1TB one instead?

Any pointers to try would be most welcome.

Im assuming the drive is a powered drive ? If not that could be the issue.

I know gparted should of sorted the drive but what happed when you try to initilise the drive under hard drive setup ? Have you tried that then mount ?

Im assuming the drive is a powered drive ? If not that could be the issue.

I know gparted should of sorted the drive but what happed when you try to initilise the drive under hard drive setup ? Have you tried that then mount ?

Hello Ferret, thanks for the reply. My Solo2 clone can work with it without issue, it can initialise it, move pre-recorded material to it and be subsequently viewed using my setup, but none of the above work with his setup. Trying to initialise it on his results in the spinning vix error thing and if I initialise it on mine then transfre hard drive onto his it still wont mount it. It sees it but doesn't know how big it is, etc.

And yes, its a 3.5 inch powered one.

Last edited:
Hello Ferret, thanks for the reply. My Solo2 clone can work with it without issue, it can initialise it, move pre-recorded material to it and be subsequently viewed using my setup, but none of the above work with his setup. Trying to initialise it on his results in the spinning vix error thing and if I initialise it on mine then transfre hard drive onto his it still wont mount it. It sees it but doesn't know how big it is, etc.

And yes, its a 3.5 inch powered one.

strange would it be to much effort to try a different image on hix box to see if it has the same problem ?

Back