What's a fair price...

mairtin

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hello All,

I've been thinking about getting a satellite setup for a while now. Reading the posts in here it sounds as if a motorised dish + linux receiver is the way to go.

When it comes to things like installing a dish I'm pretty clueless, so would be looking to pay for an installer to fit the dish. Not wanting to be ripped off, what would be a fair price to have a motorised dish installed?

I live in a tenement block in Edinburgh (four floors high) where the done thing seems to be to attach a dish onto a chimney stack. Not being the best with heights :FRIGHT: it's not a job I'd fancy taking on myself.:Biggrin2:

If anyone out there in the Edinburgh area has went through this before any recommendations of installers would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Mairtin

four floors above ground is gonna cost you mate, normal installer will only got 2 floors (normal house) after that it gets real expensive, the isn't really a price, but a motor system can take 4 hours plus to install, and at a height of four florrs its a day job because of health and safety.. Maybe 400 quid...

any dish bigger than a sky dish... i wouldnt reccomend putting it on a chimney stack..
if you want the greatest choice of channels you will need a 1metre dish or bigger...
the wind load on a dish that size is likely to damage a chimney stack..
ive seen a 1.2 metre dish pull the brickwork out off a gable end in high winds..
if your going to pay an installer to set you up only use a CAI regestaired one..
they will do a site survey and tell you the best place for your dish...

mick

It may depend what you want from the set up , if you are looking for 19.2 or whatever , if you are south facing in your block depending your location of the premises, its an expensive job m8
and can be an hazzard, to put your name to an install at that height,
Digis the best one to answer this
Regards Boris

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think I need to look into acess to the roof. It may be easier than I thought to get to it and I think it's flat in the centre judging by the buildings I can see from my window. There may also be an altenative to the chimney stack.

I'll search the web for registered installers in Edinburgh, but it's not going to be cheap by the look of things.

Cheers,

Marty

Yea best bet call out a proffesional to have a look they may know better way/place to mount obv doing it day in day out, i know you ll end up paying more than doin it yourself BUT you know it ll be right and you ll get a warrenty
i say take the hassle out of it and like earlier post go cai you wouldn t get a plumber thats not corgi registered just to save a few quid

kelvin

hard to find

I found it hard to get someone to install mine ,theres not a lot of companys willing to touch a motorised setup.
try and get it installed somewhere with easy access,mines was up about 40 ft and the motor packed in after 3 months it was a nightmare to get sorted.
ps original installation was £150

Last edited:
Back