What wireless for lappy

Teeny

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guy's,
I'll out in the Jan sales looking for a lappy. I'm not to hot when it comes to specs and all that stuff, but what I'm looking for is to be able to use the lappy around the home wireless connected via my broadband. I know there's something i can plug in phone socket via broadband and something that i plugged into the lappy, but i'm not sure wot it called in the lappy to know what to look for. Any help would be great thanks

For the laptop, you basically have two options mate:-
1 Ether purchase a laptop with Intel Centrino:- which means there is a wireless card built in to the laptop.

2 purchase any laptop then you can get a PCMCIA card which will slot in to the side of the laptop

If you have a USB modem from your ISP the best thing to do is purchase a wireless modem and replace the existing equipment. If you have a Ethernet connection i.e. then you just require an access point.
Here are a few products to look at, personally I would stay away from Belkin which seems to be taking over the planet lol

h**p://uk.insight.com/apps/productpresentation/index.php?product_id=LNKNA04C9C&nbs_search=C%3D109%26S%3D101311%26M%3DLNK

h**p://uk.insight.com/apps/productpresentation/index.php?product_id=LNKNA03D8R&nbs_search=C%3D109%26S%3D101311%26M%3DLNK

Hope this helps

Capdan

Centrino is a concept of a thin, lightweight, cool, quiet laptop with long battery life that also uses wireless technology.

However Centrino is not a processor. Rather in order for a laptop computer to be called "Centrino", it required the new Pentium M processor, an Intel 855 chipset, and an Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 (802.11b) or Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG (802.11b/g) network card.

jusy find a lappy with inbuilt wireless. most have an integrated INTEL PRO/wireless net card.
get the one with the 2200BG net card as it's faster then the 2100.

secondly you need to buy a wireless router. this depends on the kind of internet connection you have - Cable or ADSL, they're very similar but are based on slightly different technology.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1276145,00.asp

Thanks guy's, I got myself a centrino lappy.

Back