What upload/download speeds to expect ?

Wiz said:
@ Hotmail...it would appear u have a 4mb line (either 4000kb or 400k, there or there abouts). And an upload speed of 400kb or 40k.

Thomson m8...u have a 3mb line so therefore a theoretical d/l speed of 3000kb or 300k and an upload speed of between 30-40k or 300 - 400 kb.

These would be close to the maximum speeds you could expect on this line, as with any line speeds they depend on time of day, users on line etc...luner cycles ;)

Regards Egg head...;)

Nah thats a bit of an underestimate, considering 1 megabit is 1024kilobits and not 1000, 3megabits is 3072bits.... there are 8bits to a byte so 3072 divided by 8 = 384kilobytes a second... download speed.. thats the theoretical limit, but you usually take off 15% for overheads.. so id say you should look at 326kilobytes a second...but you'll probably notice your downloads going at around 346kilobytes a second.. depending on the server your dowloading from etc.

And for upload.... 300kilobits divided by 8 = 37.5kilobytes a second but if you take off 15% then youd get around 31.875 kilobytes a second... but id say around 35kilobytes a second on a good day.

im in the same area as you thomson here is my results (3 meg) from h**p://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp

Direction
Actual Speed
True Speed (estimated)

Downstream 2788 Kbps (348.5 KB/sec) 3011 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 283 Kbps (35.4 KB/sec) 305 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Just did another test.
Basicly the same again

Direction
Actual Speed
True Speed (estimated)

Downstream 2800 Kbps (350.0 KB/sec) 3024 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 284 Kbps (35.5 KB/sec) 306 Kbps (inc. overheads)

gazzas said:
Just did another test.
Basicly the same again

Direction
Actual Speed
True Speed (estimated)

Downstream 2800 Kbps (350.0 KB/sec) 3024 Kbps (inc. overheads)
I tried the test on the adsl.org site and firstly got a result downstream : 2820 and up : 288, but after that i tried another few tests and my results were a good bit lower, to be honest with ya I dont trust the adsl.org results, ive used it before loads of times over the years but I never found it to give consistant results, I always use dan elwells test (http://www.broadbandspeedtest.net/), in my opinion its much better, only thing is, is that it doesnt give the upload speed unless you pay a couple of quid (anyone know of a crack for it), but it tells you everything else and is usually about 90% accurate as far as iam concerned.
Give it a go please and report back results, I get a down speed of approx 2889 using it.

i used h**p://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp on ma line (3meg). These are my results

Downstream 2806 Kbps (350.8 KB/sec) 3030 Kbps (inc. overheads)

robbie77 said:
i used h**p://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp on ma line (3meg). These are my results

Downstream 2806 Kbps (350.8 KB/sec) 3030 Kbps (inc. overheads)

robbie, those results are about same as mines so i guess thats about right :)
Has no one tried the dan elwells speed test like i suggested earlier ??? please try it and report back.

(robbie77, by the way mate, how come you havent sent me any mac address's in exchange for the ones i sent you ??)

Very accurate as far as iam concerned, ive been using it for ages now, I dont think the adsl.org one is very good sometimes but the dan elwells one seems to always give reliable results.

robbie77 said:
tried your test thomson i got a result of 2887 kb/s
thats exactly what i got too, give or take a couple of kb/s.

Back