What upload/download speeds to expect ?

thomson

Inactive User
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what speeds to expect when doing broadband up/download speed tests with a 3mb connection ??? or point me to a webpage that tells me that kinda stuff. :Cheers:

kms said:
Try the following...

http://specials.zdnet.co.uk/misc/band-test/

The results are pretty much to the point too.

:Cheers:

Cheers kms for that :)

Although, Its not websites etc that test the speed I want, I was just wanting to know what speed to expect or are acceptable once a test is run, I.E - 3000KBS etc, know what I mean ? (upload and download).

In that case, try the following site..

http://www.adslguide.org.uk

Also gives you a range of indication of whether you are getting the full potential of your broadband speed.

So to cut a long story short, with the ntl 3mb service, if people run a broadband speed test they should expect download speeds of approx 2900k - 2950k and upload speeds of approx 250k - 300k ???
Does that sound about right ?

forgive me for being a dummy :doh:

ive tried that dan ellwels speed test program and iam getting a download speed result of approx 2890, I cant tell what the upload is using the program cause ya have to pay for the registered version to see upload speed.

does 2890 sound about right for a 3mb connection ?

Does sound about right, it will also depend on what files you are downloading, eg Exe's, zips etc and how busy sites are at the time etc as well..

Regards

Wiz said:
Does sound about right, it will also depend on what files you are downloading, eg Exe's, zips etc and how busy sites are at the time etc as well..

Regards
thats without downloading anything ??

Your line speed:

3953.5 Kbps

484.5 K bytes/sec

what have i got?

Iam getting confused now with all the kb's kbps etc etc.

All I know is I have NTL 3mb broadband and iam trying to find out what the approx speeds I should be getting when I run a bandwidth test.

I ran the dan elwells program and it gave me a download speed of approx 2890k, someone in here already says that sounds about right so I take it that it is.

I thought one of the brainy techheads in digy world would be able to tell me exactly what up and down speeds i should expect ??? no ?

@ Hotmail...it would appear u have a 4mb line (either 4000kb or 400k, there or there abouts). And an upload speed of 400kb or 40k.

Thomson m8...u have a 3mb line so therefore a theoretical d/l speed of 3000kb or 300k and an upload speed of between 30-40k or 300 - 400 kb.

These would be close to the maximum speeds you could expect on this line, as with any line speeds they depend on time of day, users on line etc...luner cycles ;)

Regards Egg head...;)

But it all depends on bandwidth.......you will find you may have a better speed rating, but you bandwidth will still be the same as a 512 connection......;)

So will still come up against the same bottlenecks.....

Ya upload speeds are not as they seem...
When online gaming....
You will get no better than 30-50kbs....
From 1MB to 3Mb....
As upload speeds in Uk are capped.......
If u run a proper upload test u will see this..
Also u have to take into account packet loss as well...
Pain in the ass upload limits as certain games suffer greatly on direct IP..
Eg Pro Evo 4....
):

PSLFC said:
Ya upload speeds are not as they seem...
When online gaming....
You will get no better than 30-50kbs....
From 1MB to 3Mb....
As upload speeds in Uk are capped.......
If u run a proper upload test u will see this..
Also u have to take into account packet loss as well...
Pain in the ass upload limits as certain games suffer greatly on direct IP..
Eg Pro Evo 4....
):
ok :Cheers:

Back