What to do to use the clone vu box long term

Mygalomorphae

Inactive User
Reaction score
Im not experienced with the clones (I have my original duo and Solo2 since they went on the market)
but I got a clone for my parents - Ive bricked one so I came here and found a lot of topics about drivers/chipsets problems etc

I understand the Vu team fights with the clones - do they only mess up with the drivers or is there something else I should avoid?
I see there is Solo2 ver 1/2/3 - how to find out which one I have? Ho to do software upgrade and keep the old drivers?
Is there really a way to use a clone vu box long term?

Last edited:
Im not experienced with the clones (I have my original duo and Solo2 since they went on the market)
but I got a clone for my parents - Ive bricked one so I came here and found a lot of topics about drivers/chipsets problems etc

I understand the Vu team fights with the clones - do they only mess up with the drivers or is there something else I should avoid?
I see there is Solo2 ver 1/2/3 - how to find out which one I have? Ho to do software upgrade and keep the old drivers?
Is there really a way to use a clone vu box long term?

If you look in the VU+ Clone solo2 image section youll find some clone safe images by AJT there, use those on your clone.

At the moment we think the drivers only were responsible. The AJT image have drivers in them that were released before the time bomb was incorporated in them.

well.. I have my Solo2 over a year now and Duo 4+
so what do you swap - clones? once you go Solo2/Duo2 there is no need to swap the out unless you go PrismCube or something else with XBMC
If I'll have to swap the Solo2 clone with another one within 6 months I rather buy the original one for good

As Ferret says, use the clonesafe images by AJT and you should be ok.

I dont swap boxes out that much either i just add boxes to what i already have :proud:

Well when I said swap, I think I meant a bit of keep as well. I've got a Solo clone, Duo original and Solo2 clone at the mo and as sure as eggs are eggs I'll be itching to play around with another box in a few months time :)

From what your actually saying, if you want 4 years out of the box, just set it up now and leave it for 4 years. Dont muck about with it, update it etc. - all that introduces risk into the mix and sooner or later boom! - a bomb went off. Sit tight if you want 4 years. There were people before this clone bomb who left old images and their smiling. It depends on you yourself, if your all about explore - then go for the original, you wont mess it up. If your going to leave it as it is in your parent home with old images, you will be more than fine.

Drivers are definitely the reason why this clone bomb went off - so make sure thats one thing you dont mess about with.

Also, old images are actually quite stable, just because their old doesn't necessarily mean their out of date, they do the job well.

I don't worry about the bombs any more - I have safe image and will make sure the drivers won't be overwritten
I worry about the quality of the clones - I know they supposed to be made from the same bits and bobs and as good as the original ones but are they?
I had 3 clones (before solo2) and only the DM800se is still working (it will be 3rd year now)
The DuoMini overheated after 3 months and the SoloPro has solid red light and doesn't boot from USB (If I get a chance I'll play with it again - maybe I get it back via console cable)
so if the image is safe can it run long term or will it overheat or the capacitors/chips/etc will need to be replaced?

Who can predict hardware failures unless they are common failures. My clone DM800hd is still being used by a friend of mine, must be a good 2+ years old now, my old clone DM800se is still also in use which must be around 18+ months old.

Clone or original, they can all fail, I've seen plenty of reports of original Duos failing due to bad caps or voltage regulators. With the solo2 being fairly new it would be pure guess work to predict that it will be uber-reliable.

But it is verry interesting that the best clones the Chinese mad so far,its the DM800hd/se .... But on the other hand,the genuine VU is realy shitte mate...Look at the problems with the vu duo and the solo with cheap elcos and powerunits....And off course my bad reputation with a genuine solo2,realy i have mutch more fun with my solo2 clone

i got 3 years 11 months out of a DM800 clone i got it free
i sold it for £100

You also got your solo2 free didn't you? Care to spill the beans?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Yeahhh @davvvo bro,tell us ure secret mate,i have few sunrays on my mind but dont have the dope for it :coolafro:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sorry to say I am under no illusions that there will not be another attempt by VU to disable our boxes again..I fear we will never be completely safe until us here or the china sellers come up with something that completely mimics the genuine box somehow and we can watch in peace.blocking the drivers is a start but maybe vu will come up with a script to get around that..
We need to be on our guards..some clever people here but VU have some clever geeks.

Well i can tell you thate some verry clever geeks on German board are near a some kind of a cfe.bin file...And these German guys are like bulldogs,they dont let easily let go!
But like u said,this should be the job of the Chinese,but who knows maybe they are working on that,they just made this website and upload the safe images to keep the most of us
quiet and selling more boxes,but i ahev the feeling,on the background they are working on some suprises..

Back