What speed does your HDD show up as on Technmoate receiver ?

BlizzardUK

Inactive User
Reaction score
Just wondered what speeds everyone seems to get showing on the test screen.

High bitrate premium HD channels stutter when recording, such as Sly Sports HD. I have bought 2 HDDs specifically for the unit, as the first one I thought was too slow, so I bought another, and both have the same issue. I then connected a powered 3.5" HDD, and that also has the same problem. I can't get a faster drive on the USB 2.0 platform, which is what the socket is, so going to USB 3.0 is pointless. Also, the speeds those drives can do should easily cope with 25mbit bandwidth from channels. My old Spiderbox 9000 worked no problem at all on premium HD sky channels, and so does my new Alien 2. This is all using an official subscription card, not via ethernet share providers. I also bought 3 different sized USB cables to see if that helped, and a power splitter.

The other lower bitrate HD channels seem fine when recording, so I can only presume it is due to the higher bitrate from sports channels. It doesn't stutter every second, just every few minutes or so, but still annoying enough. This only seems to happen when recording. By stutter I mean a brief couple of picture freezes, then it carries on normally for a short while, then back again to the problem.

What speed does your drive say, if you own a 5402, or any Technomate, in the Drive Speed option ? Mine shows as My R/W speed shows up as 20Mbit, my Wite speed is 39Mbit, and Read speed of 37Mbit. So when recording I am only writing, not reading and writing, so 39Mbit should easily be fast enough. The same drives shows up loads faster on the Alien 2 speed test screen (which is almost identical in design for the speed test).

hi, iam glad iam not the only one with these problems, ive tested 2 hard drives but hd recordings are still jerky.tested different software but still the same so after hours of testing i have come to the conclusion that this box cannot perform the basic function of recording the hd sports channels without stuttering. it definately cant record a channel and watch another either, basically iam gonna get a different box as technomate refuse to acknowledge that this box has these problems

High bitrate premium HD channels stutter when recording, such as Sly Sports HD. I have bought 2 HDDs specifically for the unit, as the first one I thought was too slow, so I bought another, and both have the same issue. I then connected a powered 3.5" HDD, and that also has the same problem. I can't get a faster drive on the USB 2.0 platform, which is what the socket is, so going to USB 3.0 is pointless. Also, the speeds those drives can do should easily cope with 25mbit bandwidth from channels. My old Spiderbox 9000 worked no problem at all on premium HD sky channels, and so does my new Alien 2. This is all using an official subscription card, not via ethernet share providers. I also bought 3 different sized USB cables to see if that helped, and a power splitter.

The other lower bitrate HD channels seem fine when recording, so I can only presume it is due to the higher bitrate from sports channels. It doesn't stutter every second, just every few minutes or so, but still annoying enough. This only seems to happen when recording. By stutter I mean a brief couple of picture freezes, then it carries on normally for a short while, then back again to the problem.

What speed does your drive say, if you own a 5402, or any Technomate, in the Drive Speed option ? Mine shows as My R/W speed shows up as 20Mbit, my Wite speed is 39Mbit, and Read speed of 37Mbit. So when recording I am only writing, not reading and writing, so 39Mbit should easily be fast enough. The same drives shows up loads faster on the Alien 2 speed test screen (which is almost identical in design for the speed test).

I've tested all manner of USB flash drives, HDDs, on different firmwares. I've tried them bus powered and externally powered. I've tried on different video settings. I've followed lots of different advice on here, other forums and TM tech support. In 2 years with the TM5402 I have never had an HD recording that doesn't stutter when there's action on screen. SD is perfect. I think some boxes do work on HD and some not. Sorry :(

right then, seems we are now getting somewhere. I have been in contact with tm technical support and told them my findings and given links to what you guys have said on here.There wasnt anything they could say really as it seems that this problem has only just been brought to tm attention, a re write of the system hardware is required, i suggested aswell to change to read ntfs instead of fat32. they are getting back to me with a solution shortly. told them to send me the hardware to test for them before general release.i think we are close now to the perfect non linux. Il let you all know more when i do
I've tested all manner of USB flash drives, HDDs, on different firmwares. I've tried them bus powered and externally powered. I've tried on different video settings. I've followed lots of different advice on here, other forums and TM tech support. In 2 years with the TM5402 I have never had an HD recording that doesn't stutter when there's action on screen. SD is perfect. I think some boxes do work on HD and some not. Sorry :(

hi, i made phantom aware of this, he has released a 0.32p on 3rd of aug in download centre. i have been testing this on on f1hd, watched a whole race and it seems fine now

give 0.32p a try, think theyve fixed the problem now thank god

From When I started Too Use The TM-5402HD it seemed too hate any memory stick i used trying too record in HD (Sd) Was Fine
done a little reading homework went for A New WD Elements SE Portable Hard Drive -500GB, Ive Never Looked Back I am on the latest firmware patch which is about a year old i think

most of my recordings were fine, but the jumping/stuttering problem was very noticable on fast moving images, i watch alot of sport and f1 in hd was shocking and unwatchable, same with basketball. 032p was released on 3rd august. is def best patch all round, no problems at all for me but it took a hell of a lot of feedback to phantom to get it right but we got there eventually, nice helpfull guy !
From When I started Too Use The TM-5402HD it seemed too hate any memory stick i used trying too record in HD (Sd) Was Fine
done a little reading homework went for A New WD Elements SE Portable Hard Drive -500GB, Ive Never Looked Back I am on the latest firmware patch which is about a year old i think

Really pleased to read this.

A very good result for you and well done Phantom.

Back