What size dish?

IAmATeaf

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
After thinking of getting a motorised dish I've decided to keep things simple and start with a fixed dish and a quad lnb pointing at 28.2e.

In the future I may consider multi-lnb or motorised so am wondering what size dish to get now which would save me having to replace the dish.

The problem is that my wife doesn't want a humongous dish so I'd like to keep the dish size down to a minimum.

So the question is would a Triax Td78 78cm dish afford me to go multi-lnb later, say 4 lnbs, 28.2e, 19e, 16e and 13e? Or would I need to go up to the next size, the TD88?

I know that if I did go motorised then the 78cm dish would be fine for those sats but I'm wondering if the size of the dish would limit how many lnb and sats the 78cm dish would be able to pick up?

I've seen and lusted after the Penta but have come to conclusion that I need to keep costs down at the mo, sorry should have mentioned this in my OP.

If you are looking to acheive 19 + 16 + 13 on the same dish then really anything around 80cm is too small. Go for the 1m size so you can physically fit the thin style lnbs next to each other. I did acheive it on an 80cm but its not simple or ideal.

if you want to keep costs down go straight to a motorised set up and skip the multi lnb.as long as you can work accurately it will also be a lot easier to set up.just about any 80cm dish and universal lnb with a cheap diseqc motor will do the job.and you will get a lot more sats.

I've went for the TD78 in the end. Found a place in Reading (saw it and the TD88 which was bloody massive) that did it at a reasonable price so got it as well as galvanised T&K brackets, 50m of TX100 cable (supposed to be Triax branded WF100?) and some other odds and sods like screw on f-connectors, amalgamated(?) tape, fixing bolts.

Need to find a 6ft scaffold pole, hopefully one of my friends should be able to help.

Also ordered a quad inverto ultra black off the bay.

Looks like this weekend might be busy :)

Question I have is that the place I got the dish from also supplied 5 mounting bolts but they are little more then oversized self taping screws with oversized rawlplugs. Will these be good enough to to keep the dish and pole in place or do I need to go out and get some proper rawl bolts?

Also for the U brackets to fasten the pole to the T&K he never supplied any washers, did ask but was told you don't need them, is this also OK or should I go out and get 4 galvanised washers?

I may not know about satellite systems but i do know about bolting things to walls! go get yourself some proper rawlbolts. M8 will do. the right ones will need a 14mm masonry drill. fix to the brickwork not the mortar.
have a good weekend :)

I've went for the TD78 in the end. Found a place in Reading (saw it and the TD88 which was bloody massive) that did it at a reasonable price so got it as well as galvanised T&K brackets, 50m of TX100 cable (supposed to be Triax branded WF100?) and some other odds and sods like screw on f-connectors, amalgamated(?) tape, fixing bolts.

Need to find a 6ft scaffold pole, hopefully one of my friends should be able to help.

Also ordered a quad inverto ultra black off the bay.

Looks like this weekend might be busy :)

Question I have is that the place I got the dish from also supplied 5 mounting bolts but they are little more then oversized self taping screws with oversized rawlplugs. Will these be good enough to to keep the dish and pole in place or do I need to go out and get some proper rawl bolts?

Also for the U brackets to fasten the pole to the T&K he never supplied any washers, did ask but was told you don't need them, is this also OK or should I go out and get 4 galvanised washers?

i got a pole mate if needed its the ones sky use on t&k's but we dont fit the t&ks no more so got pole sitting in me garden if you need it

IAmATeaf

Keep it simple why don't you try it my way:

Traix 1.10 (new or second hand)
6 Alp's Lnb
1 DiseqC Switch 9 in 1
Coax cable / connectors

My location Rotterdam the Netherlands

Take care

Glenn_911

IAmATeaf

6 Alp's Lnb
1 DiseqC Switch 9 in 1
Coax cable / connectors

Take care

Glenn_911

Dude that doesnt look simple at all! Motorised system is very simple to setup, especially in the UK using 1w as the starting point

Dude that doesnt look simple at all! Motorised system is very simple to setup, especially in the UK using 1w as the starting point

Excuse me buddy a motorsed system is more expensive. he ask to keep costs down, besides that it depent on where you live to piont your dish here in the Netherlands we us 1west have my doubt if that also count for the UK specialy in the SW

Its not simple to let a dish 100% running from East to West, it take more time.

Glenn_911

PS: never buy a second hand motor

Plan to do the install fell apart, thought the scaffold pole would be easy to get but non of friends have 1, the closest I got was, had some a few months back but dumped them so without a pole I can't even be bothered to start the install.

IAmATeaf

6 Alp's Lnb
1 DiseqC Switch 9 in 1
Coax cable / connectors

Take care

Glenn_911

I've already gone out and got a TD78 dish and other stuff :)

most builders yards or roofing contractors have odd lengths of scaffold pole lying about or there is probably a proper scaffolding company nearby yellow pages will show one up.

most builders yards or roofing contractors have odd lengths of scaffold pole lying about or there is probably a proper scaffolding company nearby yellow pages will show one up.

Going to have a look tomorrow now as with it being Sunday most places I've tried are closed today.

Managed to get a pole, only 4ft 10" but beggars can't be choosers, got the dish installed and aligned, get 100% SNR (?) on the BBC channels, the lowest channel was around at around 65%.

Ran out of time so couldn't get the cables run from the dish to the rooms, will have to do this next weekend now.

One thing worth pointing out is that no matter what adjustments I made to the dish I couldn't get anything better than around 80% and I only managed to improve the signal when I started to skew the LNB, worth knowing as I couldn't figure out initially why I couldn't get anything better than 80%.

Made a sort of boo-boo when fitting it. I put the bracket up in the gap between my house and my neighbours house but with the dish installed on the pole the LNB projects onto the neighbours roof. Now you may say what does that matter but my neighbour can be an arse. Was going to go over and explain but my wife said not to and only explain if they say something.

What's the best image for the clone DM800HD, I want to also install a HD into it so that I can PVR so the image would need to have working PVR functions.

Last edited:
Excuse me buddy a motorsed system is more expensive. he ask to keep costs down, besides that it depent on where you live to piont your dish here in the Netherlands we us 1west have my doubt if that also count for the UK specialy in the SW

Its not simple to let a dish 100% running from East to West, it take more time.

Glenn_911

PS: never buy a second hand motor

A motor in UK is £40!

Back